Why is such a big deal made of the ANZAC game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get the fuss really, it is treated as the second biggest game of the year behind the GF, yet it is only a regular season home and away game.

There is an enormous load of promotional w@nk in the lead up to it as if the players are going into battle... They aren’t, it’s a football game worth 4 competition points.

The ANZAC medal is treated to be as prestigious as winning a Norm Smith, which is also ridiculous - it’s the best player in a game between Essendon and Collingwood.

The better option would be to only have ANZAC round.

I’m all for marquee games - Geelong gets Easter Monday for example. However, the ANZAC game should just be another marquee game, not its own Grand Final.

Last edited:

It’s a great fixture and I look forward to it. It’s only behind the Dreamtime Game for the biggest H&A game for the season.

Spewing we didn't get an inferiority complex and start an 'Anzac Day-eve' clash because we felt left out that Collingwood/Essendon were getting all the headlines. :drunk:

Build it and they will come

The AFL, Essendon and Collingwood sold out the meaning of Anzac Day years ago, but late to get on the complaining about Birds of Tokyo moral high horse.

There has probably not been an all-time classic Anzac Day match since the 1995 draw anyway. OP is right in saying the annual fixture is overrated, and all the hoo haa placed on the Anzac Day medal.

The AFL, Essendon and Collingwood sold out the meaning of Anzac Day years ago, but late to get on the complaining about Birds of Tokyo moral high horse.

There has probably not been an all-time classic Anzac Day match since the 1995 draw anyway. OP is right in saying the annual fixture is overrated, and all the hoo haa placed on the Anzac Day medal.
Zaharakis.

ZAHARAKIS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get the fuss really, it is treated as the second biggest game of the year behind the GF, yet it is only a regular season home and away game.

There is an enormous load of promotional w@nk in the lead up to it as if the players are going into battle... They aren’t, it’s a football game worth 4 competition points.

The ANZAC medal is treated to be as prestigious as winning a Norm Smith, which is also ridiculous - it’s the best player in a game between Essendon and Collingwood.

I’m all for marquee games - Geelong gets Easter Monday for example. However, the ANZAC game should just be another marquee game, not its own Grand Final.

It's really just more of a great celebration for ANZAC day and what it represents. It just happens to be the same two teams all the time. I've even been to it and it was great and I don't support either teams.

Due to the AFL having a finals series most of the games during the season have little meaning, even the games between the top teams so they have to create some excitement from something at least.

RedVest4 I have a thread for you on the Bay where you can air your grievances. :)

Seriously though, it's a big deal because there's history between the clubs which includes some connection to the ANZAC history. I guess these two sides were chosen to represent the day for the AFL because they have this history and more importantly can bring in huge crowds.

It's really just more of a great celebration for ANZAC day and what it represents. It just happens to be the same two teams all the time. I've even been to it and it was great and I don't support either teams.

Due to the AFL having a finals series most of the games during the season have little meaning, even the games between the top teams so they have to create some excitement from something at least.

Usually their own hype is created, and many a great home and away game is remembered.

Of course there can be crap Anzac Day matches, just as there have been crap grand finals.

It’s fine it’s a big game, not sure it’s worth having a problem with.

Tying Anzac spirit with football has always been a bit problematic, but that happens across the whole round.

The Easter Bunny has already come and gone by ‘Easter’ Monday.

Because playing a game of football with two ferocious teams is a lot like when it was two opposing countries fighting against each other in a World War!
It all depends on the countries. Italy v Greece for instance would be a very laid back, possibly a scrappy affair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is such a big deal made of the ANZAC game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back