Why Melbourne fans should not be confident!

Remove this Banner Ad

luke ball14 said:
In 2004/5 they were in better positions than they are now at the same time and collapsed what makes you think it won't happen again?
Because of that Spliz Enz song ... how does it go? ... "History Never Repeats" :confused:

luke ball14 said:
In 2004/5 they were in better positions than they are now at the same time and collapsed what makes you think it won't happen again?

Let them enjoy it. The time for realism is after you lose a game.

Monday was a huge, finals atmosphere game against a team that had no excuses. They will take a lot out of that.

luke ball14 said:

Just like another side whose supporters keep coming out stating how they would have won multiple flags already because they have the most talented list in the league. Yet still, injuries keep popping up as a constant excuse. I'm sure if you ask any Dees supporter they could come up with reasons why their team has crashed and burnt in prior years.

As they say, you are only as good as your last game, and for the Dees that was pretty darn good! And after losing their first 3, they are looking very very good.

Only ignorant followers of the game would compare our 2004/2005 season, to the way we are currently playing.

Our toughness, accountability, desire to play for one another, and patient ball-handling is a far cry from our "move the ball forward at all costs and don't worry abour defending" game plan of the past two years.

We are 2nd in tackles, 1st in 1%s, and our clearance work has improved dramatically. We also finally have a decent back-up ruckman to help out Jeff White, a solid FB in Carroll, and plenty of goal-kicking options (not just Neitz or Robbo).

So there you have it, no comparison between the last two years and this year. We have matured, found some leadership around the ball and have already managed to pull ourselves from a 3 game losing streak at the start of the year.

we are no longer mental short people.

understudy said:
One may well ask who have they beaten :confused:

Sydney (SCG), Geelong, Freo, Saints, Collingwood

Were one touched goal away from beating the Crows, and one poor quarter away from beating West Coast at Subiaco.
We also smashed Hawthorn.

Our only horrible loss came in Round 1 against Carlton, when were did not even try. It was disgraceful and everyone knows that we're a better team than that effort suggests. We also lost to the Bulldogs, who were on fire and fully fit, at Telstra Dome.

Our record at the Dome is pretty terrible. Thankfully we're 6-0 at the MCG.

luke ball14 said:

I personally think that the Demons are one, if not the best side in the comp. at the moment. Strong midfield, good defence and a potent forward line. When they fire, they are pretty near unstoppable. I would hope we can avoid them at all costs in the finals, as I think they are a huge chance.

understudy said:
Interesting they've failed against contenders Adelaide and WCE and also couldnt get over Carlton or the Bulldgos.

:rolleyes:

How many teams have beaten West Coast and Adelaide? They are the best two teams in the competition, and by a fair margin two.
The argument here is not, "can Melbourne overtake these two sides", its "can Melbourne maintain their good form"

As for the Carlton and Bulldogs games, as I said, terrible two weeks of lazy, pathetic ball use that will no doubt cost us later in the year. However, we have more than made up for it in recent weeks.

Big tests still to come when we play Brisbane (Gabba), Fremantle (Subiaco), Geelong (have a terrible record at Skilled) and Adelaide (AAMI).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reasons why i think we are better:

1. Experience. players should learn from mistakes

2. we are harder at the footy. previous seasons are best has been great but we had a whole lot of downhill skiers.

3. Depth. this is everything in the modern game. teams which are reliant on to few fall away when the going gets tough. picking our best 22 with everyone fit is hard.

4. good recruiting. we have done well in this area taking bate and dunn and putting them in the vfl for a year has done them a lot more than running having them run around in the under 18's. compare dunn to pendlebury. both are sticks. but dunn goes in hard. because he has done it for a year.

5. the Byron factor. he has showed a few how to tackle

understudy said:

And they would be told that we have beaten two teams in the top 4, lost by 5 points to the other (many consider it should have been a draw), and lost to West Coast at Subi by 20 odd points.

I would say that kind of record augurs pretty well for the demons.

understudy said:

For the record:

Collingwood by 47 (MCG)
St Kilda by 13 (MCG)
Hawthorn by 75 (MCG)
Fremantle by 59 (MCG)
Geelong by 6 (MCG)
Kangaroos by 4 (MCG)
Sydney by 5 (SCG)

Out of those, I rate the Sydney, St Kilda and Collingwood wins as our best. Geelong to a lesser extent, as it really was a crucial game for both sides.

Losses:

West Coast by 22 (Subiaco)
Adelaide by 5 (Carrara)
Western Bulldogs by 47 (TD)
Carlton by 21 (TD) *shudder*

Two losses from which we can draw positives, two which were shameful.

What can I draw from that lot? We've been great at the MCG, competitive elsewhere. The next month or two will tell us a lot about Melbourne, I reckon. We've had a great run of games at the G.

TD, the Gabba and Subi await us in the next 7 weeks. I'd hope we're well and truly top 4 by Round 20, cos we've got Adelaide @ AAMI and Geelong @ Skilled to complete the year.

FWIW, I'm not a great fan of the 'who have they beaten' line. Top sides, by definition, won't beat as many sides above them simply because there are fewer sides above them to beat.

Regardless, I think Melbourne have performed well against the teams above them on the ladder (excluding the Bulldogs). That's encouraging for September.

understudy said:
Interesting they've failed against contenders Adelaide and WCE and also couldnt get over Carlton or the Bulldgos.

Probably should have beat Adelaide (in QLD) and weren't disgraced against west coast (over there). I don't think the Dees lie in bed at night thinking they're a mile off the best. Playing either of those teams at the MCG, I think they'd have reason to be very confident.

RogerRabbit69 said:
No, they shouldn't have ... but Dees were still very competitive.
Why shouldn't have we beat adelaide. Is it because we were 7 goals down in the second quarter :confused:

If Davey's goal cleared the line it would have been a draw with 40 secs remaining. Then next score wins!

Bring-Back-Powell said:
Why shouldn't have we beat adelaide. Is it because we were 7 goals down in the second quarter :confused:

If Davey's goal cleared the line it would have been a draw with 40 secs remaining.
But the goal umpire declared it a point ... and if you want to question umpiring decisions, there were quite a few debatable ones that went against Adelaide earlier in the match.

understudy said:
I think its more interesting that missing 7 of their best 22, and playing 22 men against 25 they managed to pummel and smash the pies. Interesting times ahead

understudy said:

I think you're a Collingwood fan yes?

Collingwood have lost 3 matches, all against the contenders in WCE, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Collingwood = Pretenders

Melbourne = Contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Melbourne fans should not be confident!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back