Why the heck would we trade Kerr?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2004
Other Teams
EAGLES
Who ever thinks we should get rid of Kerr is a bloody idiot!

This guy is an absolute champ, loves the club, works as hard as anyone, and represents a small proportion of the list who has focused aggresion and actual hardness! He is a major part of the reason the opposition gets scared of us - we have a mid field with depth, run, smarts and skill! Last year this guy had a fantastic season, with his first half not unlike Fletcher's second half (i think both scored the same Brownlow votes come to think of it - might be wrong). He's had a few weeks out with injury and all of a sudden people think there's no room for him in this side?

We need to take a good look at ourselves if we even consider trading Kerr for an unpredictable, thick as pig sh1te FF like Fevola.

Wake up you lot.

sdb4884 said:
We have other players that are tradeable, Wooden, Adkins, Gaspar.

this is the reason why we would trade kerr. Its because he actually has trade value. You wouldnt get a ham sandwich for those 3 combined. Yes kerr is a good player, that is why he is a good option for trade. He doesnt perform consistantly throughout a game, he has a good quarter and then disapears. Lask week was a prime example. He had a brillant 3rd quarter, got us into the match but then did nothing in the last.

Plus, i think he is overated in the league and we would get something good for him. His value to our side is not as significant as a dominent key forward.

there is also kerr's questionable off field work.

All the homely, happy, conservative supporters would question us trading kerr. I believe the club should take a risk and bite the bullet. At least see what we would get.

umm, well fevola did ok for a crap team today, but i wouldnt want him, i'd take kepler bradley or get a pick to get mitch clark.

with butler and selwood showing promise(not much latley) and the 2nd tier players you mention along with morton looking good why have a HUGE surplus of mids? then have lynch playin full forward :rolleyes:

He is one of the few true in-and-under players we have and I think today he showed that. The thing is he is only an average outside player and if he isn't played at the coalface his skills are kind of wasted. I thought he was great today at the clearances and we would be foolish to trade that.

Well, if you want something good you usually have to give up something good. Not saying we should trade him, but people are mentioning his name coz he'd have quite a bit of bargaining power.

94_Eagles said:
Well, if you want something good you usually have to give up something good. Not saying we should trade him, but people are mentioning his name coz he'd have quite a bit of bargaining power.
Exactly.

No-one is suggesting we should be actively seeking to offload him.

But if we move to secure a quality CHB or FF at season's end, then Kerr could net us that player.

I am dumbfounded at what some people think. It is amazing. I thought I'd heard it all but now this. Kerr is a great player and he showed today once again that he is a very important player for us. Fletcher and Judd didn't have a big impact on today's game but Kerr was fantastic. We don't have many players who are tough and physical and to win Premierships you need guys like Kerr. Kerr is very young and has a lot of offer the club. He put's his body on the line, fights hard, does the small things and goes out there and has a real crack and a go for us. He with Ben Cousins set up our win today, against Adelaide and nearly against the Pies. Yes we may have lot's of midfielders but not many of them are as good and have so much skill and poise as Kerr. Lot's of them are just average way below the level of Kerr. Ben is getting older and if we lose someone to injury or suspension then our dominant midfield is gone. That's why we need Daniel Kerr. It would be a disgrace if the club trades him for an overrated player or just some draft pick, a stab in the dark that will take years to develop when we have a great player right here. I think the club is smart and they won't trade Daniel. They like myself and other Eagles supporters know the truth. Kerr's is staying. He's not going anywhere. He will be a Premiership player with the club. What kind of Eagles supporters are you. You want to trade one of your own. I think you should take a good hard look at yourselves and see if your really are Eagles supporter. If you then you won't talk such rubbish and you will support our guys. Go Daniel let's show these guys. Daniel Kerr forever an Eagle!

Eagle Boy said:
I am dumbfounded at what some people think. It is amazing. I thought I'd heard it all but now this. Kerr is a great player and he showed today once again that he is a very important player for us. Fletcher and Judd didn't have a big impact on today's game but Kerr was fantastic. We don't have many players who are tough and physical and to win Premierships you need guys like Kerr. Kerr is very young and has a lot of offer the club. He put's his body on the line, fights hard, does the small things and goes out there and has a real crack and a go for us. He with Ben Cousins set up our win today, against Adelaide and nearly against the Pies. Yes we may have lot's of midfielders but not many of them are as good and have so much skill and poise as Kerr. Lot's of them are just average way below the level of Kerr. Ben is getting older and if we lose someone to injury or suspension then our dominant midfield is gone. That's why we need Daniel Kerr. It would be a disgrace if the club trades him for an overrated player or just some draft pick, a stab in the dark that will take years to develop when we have a great player right here. I think the club is smart and they won't trade Daniel. They like myself and other Eagles supporters know the truth. Kerr's is staying. He's not going anywhere. He will be a Premiership player with the club. What kind of Eagles supporters are you. You want to trade one of your own. I think you should take a good hard look at yourselves and see if your really are Eagles supporter. If you then you won't talk such rubbish and you will support our guys. Go Daniel let's show these guys. Daniel Kerr forever an Eagle!
Ok Eagle Boy! Steady on...
I don't think we are saying we have to trade him, but I agree with some of the other Eagles supporters who agree that we do have some defincencies in the Forward and back line parts of the ground and if we can get a proven forward or backmen to cover this, then it may mean making atough decision and trading a good mid-fielder. Ya can't always have it both ways...
Having said that, i do think the club should think very carefully before trading Kerr, as he does give the side extra grunt and something different to the mix. Also, I think our backline is fairly settled, with Hunter and Glass taking the key CHB and FB posts with Wirrapunda still to come back into the back line.
IMO, FF is the only key position we are currently lacking in, but with McDougall to come back in and some younger forwards in the squad still developing there is no reason to panick about it.

regards,
Brayza

Generally when trade talks come up some people mention Kerr because, like TOA said, he has trade value and because we have a lot of good midfielders. No one wants to get rid of him, no one dislikes him but if we're going to trade a player with value that player is going to be a midfielder because we have a huge amount of depth there.

If you list our midfielders with trade value they are.
1. Cousins- Untouchable, Captain, face of the club
2. Judd- Untouchable, Brownlow medal....Judd
3. Fletcher- Probably under-rated over east thus not likely to gain us what he's worth. Possesion machine and a tad old to get us a return as great as Kerr
4. Embley- 190cm wingman/midfeilder with great overhead skills. Rare sort and you shouldn't trade rare things.
5. Braun- Unlikely to bet us anything great (see Fletcher)
5. Kerr- Tough, young and great but inconsistent and headcase.

That's why most people say we should trade Kerr before anyone else.

I don't like the idea of trading Kerr. I think our midfield is what will set us apart from the rest and would be loathe to tinker with it.

As for Butler and Selwood? I don't believe they are or ever will be in the same class as Cousins, Judd, Fletcher, and Kerr. Good back up, but lacking in pace. I think Le Cras and Morton will be better.

bunsen burner said:
As for Butler and Selwood? I don't believe they are or ever will be in the same class as Cousins, Judd, Fletcher, and Kerr. Good back up, but lacking in pace. I think Le Cras and Morton will be better.

I think Butler will go close. He will be a better player than Le Cras. I know that sounds rushed but Mark's disposal worries me. It always has after watching him in the WAFL and even at training he seems to have the occasional floater/horror kick. I actually liken Mark to Rowan Jones, very similar disposal. Butler is all class, finds alot of the ball and uses it very well.

On Kerr, Im not saying he is a poor player. BUT if we wanted to get the quality key position player that wins finals then he is the man from our midfield that the club should trade. His overall impact on a game is overated. He gets less hardball gets than Judd, Fletcher and Cousins. People think he is good at getting the hardball but thats only because he always seems to make it hard for himself. Either giving away a stupid freekick or ducking his head.

dont worry about trading Kerr, get rid of Gardy to Carlton with a 3rd round draft pick for Fevola and then we may win another flag.............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All these players have roles and we will need them all. Our centre midfield is basically Cousins, Judd, Fletcher. Embley is a tall, running winger who provides a marking option out of defense and occassionally drifts forward. Selwood will end up as a utility/defender/HBF. Butler can play up and down the flanks. LeCras will still probably end up as the successor to Matera but has the ability not to be pigeon-holed. Kerr fits into our midfield rotation and provides a bit of toughness and attitude and gets into the face of the opposition (literally).

jod23 said:
But who is saying we need to trade for a KPP!!!!!?????

We dont need Tarrant or Fevola....so why are we entertaining the thought of trading a great player in Kerr?

I really don't think we need to either.

Kerr seems to be a player that's either, over or under, rated. He's been great over the past two weeks and he turned it on in the third quarter against Collingwood and it was almost enough to win the game. He's probably the hardest midfielder we have and I think his aggression is something we need.

I'd like to actually hear some of this stuff that Kerr's apparently done that makes him such a nut job. Despite his off-field behaviour, I don't think we should trade him for an inconsistent full-forward such as Fevola and Tarrant who both seem to be headcases themselves.

Previous years he seemed a little indecisive, however Kerr has been great this year. Going more direct and still winning the hard ball.

His bump on Cornes today was top stuff !

There is no way West Coast will trade him - love the way he gives the opposition heaps:

52996594.jpg

I'd trade Gardiner before Kerr:

1. Gardiner has suspect fitness and suspect discipline
2. Kerr, whilst not as valuable as Cousins, Judd, and Fletcher, and has real value unlike Braun, Butler, Selwood, Wooden etc, is still a necessary cog in our midfield. Our depth in our midfield is what is enabling us to a) out fitness our competition, and b) allow our lesser players to step up

I'd trade for Kepler Bradley or Polak or Kositchze before Fevola. Forget Tarrant. Can't kick:

1. Having a spearhead carries too much weight and reliance. If they have a good game, we most likely win, if we have a bad game, we most likely lose.
2. We are scoring goals from many avenues including the midfield. Makes it much harder for opposition to match us up and plug holes. Especially when we have goal scoring midfields. It's hard for teams to go head to head in the midfield when the odds are that our midfielders will convert on the scoreboard.

I'm in favour of not trading, but if class CHB or CHB with potential are offered up, we have to look at them. Forget full forwards.

Why the hell are we talking about trading a great like Kerr and where the hell does this crap come from. Haven't you got any thing better to talk about.
This squad just kicked 27 goals yesterday should have been 30+ won by 117
points why would you even consider talking about trading players now lets see how the year ends up then lets talk about where we can get better.

last year Fletcher was the player we were going to offlaod to get a tall.

Then he went AA.

I am convinced we will NOT trade for a big name tall and probably not any talls because Woosha thinks he has the crop to do it already in the team. He has for quite a while and they have done alright haven't they?

we seem to be pretty good at growing our own players and Woosha is committed to it.

Most good sides of late are mainly homegrown with a few good players that have come from outside.

we've got Stinger and Chick we could do with a few more but it is not nessaccary when we can grow people like Fletch and Cox from our rookie list and Sam Butler and Baeu Waters from second / third round picks

For all those people who think that we shouldn't trade Kerr for a FF -or at all for that matter- I agree, but if we were to trade someone I think we would/should trade him first.

Also, Southjoy made a good point, Judd and Kerr are best mates right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the heck would we trade Kerr?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back