List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
For those interested in the ruck merry go round, it’s being reported Soldo will move to St Kilda while Tom Campbell will join Melbourne (his fourth club) as a DFA after being delisted by the Saints earlier.

If freo and wce relations are good..

I think I read somewhere (cant remember where) freo could offer a first to North for their f1 to help with Chad at the end of 2025. If we concede we we won't get Chad, we could throw our f1 to freo for their pick 10 and reidy. We'd still have our first tied to Hawks in 2025 so it wouldn't hamstring us too much

Wce out F1
Wce in Travaglia + Reidy

Looking fwd to the melting over this suggestion
go left field...

NM have stated a desire to get in mature bodies, hence the interest in Darling, so it may not be a good draft for them to hold pick 2. In a straight trade for Darling we'll only get a pick 3 in the 50s at best.
So find out if they are interest in trading out of P2. If they are, then
offer NM:
our F1, Darling and his $800,000 salary for next year for their P2, throw in our P59 if necessary.
P2 for our F1 is really just a pick swap as I expect us to be bottom 2 again, and NM get JD and $800,000 as the Steak knives on top of it.
NM would also still have the option of trading back into the draft by using that F1 or their own F1.
Picks 2, 3, 13 (for TB) and 23 would be a good hand.

Bailey simply needs to put on about 10% weight so he’s not out-sized or muscled in the ruck contests. It’s not rocket science, he’s been preparing as a fwd who will pinch hit in the ruck. It’s been poor development by us up till this point.
Get him bigger and he will be as serviceable as any of the rucks options being thrown around and cost nothing.

On top of that Scott Jones out played Reidy for much of yesterday’s contest. Is 205 cm and 110kg. 29yrs of age so not old in ruck terms. Would cost nothing either as a short to medium term option while we develop a couple of younger guys.

Scott Jones is a great state level ruckman but he can't step it up further to the next level. Is too slow and nowhere near fit enough to get to contest to contest at AFL level. Doesn't get enough of the ball or free his midfielders up generally either.

Max Knobel being much more athletic whilst having the height to match him destroyed him in the H+A season.

Suns would be crazy to gift the Tigers pick 6 unless a fair bit was coming back.

Lombard bid will be after pick 6 and in no way is Rioli worth pick 6 in a straight swap.

Agreed. If 6 is part of it surely (surely) GC are getting something of significant value back in addition to Rioli.

But also, and I know they are relatively stacked for early round draftee talent, why would you not want to take 2x picks in the first 10-15 (depending where the Lombard bid arrives). Even if they reach a little for a KPF or KPD, it would be nuts not to rort the points system one final time…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Such as? That well is very dry im afraid. Id much rather we offer Eramus a 4 year deal then Jack Graham at this stage. Give up some of the draft captial we were going to use for lIam Baker for Erasmus. Replace Liam Baker by just grabbing Parfitt as a free agent

Erasmus + Parfitt + keeping better draft picks is a much better situation then Baker + Graham
Graham is a free agent and would cost us nothing except his salary, so he shouldn't be in this trade discussion. Baker rates above average or elite in most of the major statistical areas which is better than Rioli who rates average/below average yet most expect GC to cough up 6 or 12 for. Reckon Baker is worth really late first at best, certainly wouldn't give up 13 for him.

One giant issue is Liam Baker is a flanker. We do not need anymore flankers.... I cant express that any stronger. Its the LAST spot we need to look at

Id rather we spend our time on a guy like Neil Erasmus who we should be making a big offer for

You oscillate so hard between “there’s no point chasing anyone, no one will come here” and “we should make player X an offer he can’t refuse”, you must be suffering from some pretty terrible whiplash.

Graham is a free agent and would cost us nothing except his salary, so he shouldn't be in this trade discussion. Baker rates above average or elite in most of the major statistical areas which is better than Rioli who rates average/below average yet most expect GC to cough up 6 or 12 for. Reckon Baker is worth really late first at best, certainly wouldn't give up 13 for him.
Baker rated in the 47 elite players in champion data this year. Yes people do use these when they back up their argument and discard when they don’t. I would say ANB and Ward were the only two outliers for me. ANB apparently going for pick 25 and is 2 years older.

Anyone trying to talk down Baker must not have watched him closely imo. It’s just about getting the right value in a trade

Agreed. If 6 is part of it surely (surely) GC are getting something of significant value back in addition to Rioli.

But also, and I know they are relatively stacked for early round draftee talent, why would you not want to take 2x picks in the first 10-15 (depending where the Lombard bid arrives). Even if they reach a little for a KPF or KPD, it would be nuts not to rort the points system one final time…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
With the change in the draft points system next year, GC may need to bank points as they have a potential No 1 pick in their academy.
Why not offer them our F1 and 23 for 6 and 12. We'll probably finish no higher than 3rd last so the points value is about the same.
3, 6, 12, 13, would be a great hand and still leave GC with 20 & 23 which I see as Rioli's worth. And they still have plenty of 2nd and 3rd rounders to match for Lombard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker rated in the 47 elite players in champion data this year. Yes people do use these when they back up their argument and discard when they don’t. I would say ANB and Ward were the only two outliers for me. ANB apparently going for pick 25 and is 2 years older.

Anyone trying to talk down Baker must not have watched him closely imo. It’s just about getting the right value in a trade
It's also about his age, particularly in a year when the draft is this deep. Could be throwing away the chance at 200 game player for the sake of a guy who's highly unlikely to be on the team next time we're contending

It's also about his age, particularly in a year when the draft is this deep. Could be throwing away the chance at 200 game player for the sake of a guy who's highly unlikely to be on the team next time we're contending

He’s 25. How far away do you think we are?

I'd love to say nah we don't need Baker and take the pick given the touted quality of this draft, but in the 3-4 years when the current group of senior players expire / retire we lack the senior leadership in that age bracket to mentor.
We need some quality prime in the middle. Baker does offer that, but it has to be reasonable in what we give up.

Can't be Kelly Mk II.

With the change in the draft points system next year, GC may need to bank points as they have a potential No 1 pick in their academy.
Why not offer them our F1 and 23 for 6 and 12. We'll probably finish no higher than 3rd last so the points value is about the same.
3, 6, 12, 13, would be a great hand and still leave GC with 20 & 23 which I see as Rioli's worth. And they still have plenty of 2nd and 3rd rounders to match for Lombard.
The Gold Coast fans I've seen have all said they're in 'win now' mode and appear to be all for pushing picks back into next year's draft. There is certainly an opportunity to leverage this using our F1. I don't think it would be 6 AND 12 seeing as the Suns appear to be all in on Rioli but it could be as simple as 6 + 26 for our F1. Maybe 46 as well or 20 instead of 26.

That would leave us with 3, 6, 13, 23, 26 this year but either Hawks' F1 or our F2 as our best pick next year, likely meaning no Warner (unless we did it this year with the above hand).

Anyone trying to talk down Baker must not have watched him closely imo. It’s just about getting the right value in a trad

I'm glad a few other people are on the Crossley train.

He'd cost nothing.

Yes - He's short for an AFL Ruck but he's an absolute mongrel, I can guarantee you wont get other rucks waltzing out the front of a contest. He'll punish the other rucks physically, win more than his opponent most times at throw-ins too, he's very strong.

Very similar to Mumford and perfect for Williams has he can soften them up, then BW can use his athleticism.

He'd lift others around him too.

Just come off 71, 69 hit-out games respectively in the VFL (+12 and 5 tackles)

He'd be a fantastic addition for no cost
Forget Bailey, he's not up to AFL standard as a ruckman, he just seems to be short on footy IQ. I'd take a 3rd rounder for him!

I'd love to say nah we don't need Baker and take the pick given the touted quality of this draft, but in the 3-4 years when the current group of senior players expire / retire we lack the senior leadership in that age bracket to mentor.
We need some quality prime in the middle. Baker does offer that, but it has to be reasonable in what we give up.

Can't be Kelly Mk II.
So you're banking on Baker playing well into his 30s?

The Gold Coast fans I've seen have all said they're in 'win now' mode and appear to be all for pushing picks back into next year's draft. There is certainly an opportunity to leverage this using our F1. I don't think it would be 6 AND 12 seeing as the Suns appear to be all in on Rioli but it could be as simple as 6 + 26 for our F1. Maybe 46 as well or 20 instead of 26.

That would leave us with 3, 6, 13, 23, 26 this year but either Hawks' F1 or our F2 as our best pick next year, likely meaning no Warner (unless we did it this year with the above hand).

Why is GC trading the certainty of pick 6 and a 2nd round pick for an unknown future pick?
We'd be the ones having to throw a sweetener in, not GC, and even then I don't think any sane club trades out a pick 6 for an unknown pick, you play that kind of roulette with later picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back