Why Tim Clarke is a Leader (Long)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I know there are a few South Aussie Hawks on here, here are some notes on the AGM we had last night with guest speaker Tim Clarke. He was fantastic. A bit long so I apologise for that.

Last night, I had the chance to listen to Tim Clarke speak about the changes at Hawthorn. He was blunt, to the point and didnt hold back in describing the disappointments of last year. I will summarise as best as I can remember.

-Said that alot of players were happy just to remain mediocre
-Said the team were a rabble and the culture of the club has thoroughly disintegrated since the early 90s
-Shane Crawford had looked disenchanted for the last two or three seasons now. Up until then, he had always had a spark in his eyes and a spring in his step. He lost the enthusiasm, but didnt stop training hard. This preseason, his enthusiasm, spirit and general 'happiness' at being a Hawk has thoroughly returned and he is looking fantastic and eager to start.
-Jon Hay was flying early on at the preseaon. Is training at 70% at the moment and wont play on the 19th against the Saints. He has had a few niggles, but every precaution is being taken.
-Roughead, Franklin and Lewis probably wont play in the first Wizard Cup match unless they have a big game on the 11th.
-Said it really hurt him to see the anger, sadness and disappointment in the eyes of the supporters as the players walked off the ground.
-When Josh Thurgood was mentioned, Clarkey's eyes immediately lit up. He said Josh is going to be a massive player for the Hawks, but just needs to bulk up.
-In regards to skills, he said that the main priority was to get the game plan working properly. He said it was very frustrating to see the ball being stuffed around in the backline like it was. But the confidence had simply disappeared.
-When Clarke mentioned the influence Alastair Clarkson has had from day one, it is obvious that Schwab let the players get away with too much. Even Clarke was surprised at how straight down the line Clarkson was. The players are a lot happier, a lot more determined and are taking a hell of a lot more pride in who they are and the Club they are representing. From Clarke's facial expressions and the pride in his voice, I dont think this is a load of words to be thrown to the supporters. He didnt patronise us at all with cliches. It is for real this time.
-Players are now turning up 45 minutes early to training, as they are afraid of coping the wrath of their teammates for the early morning sessions
-John Barker and Nick Holland are a lot stronger, but still not training at 100%.
-Simon Beaumont is absolutely flying - the look on Clarkey's face said it all. He may be used in forward and midfield positions.
-Sam Mitchell may get a run in the backline
-Mark Williams is being trained for midfield duties as well
-When asked about final 8 expectations for 2005, Clarke said that it most likely wont happen. There are still a lot of pieces to pick up and rebuild, but the team simply want to base 2005 on gaining lost respect. Clarke said that teams are going to have to work bloody hard to beat Hawthorn, and perhaps the talent of the other sides will be the only difference. He said Hawthorn want to become a team to be feared because of the toughness of the matches the opposition face each week.
-Richard Vandenberg was a very popular choice for captain. He may not be the best player, but his attitude, courage and hard-edged approach is how Hawthorn is going to play footy from now on.
-Kokoda was a massive team bonding exercise. He didnt say that lightly. A lot of blokes were hurting, and their teammates were very quick to step up and take their pack loads and help each other through the rigorous terrain.
-I wandered up to have a bit for a chat to him when everyone else had buggered off. I began to cop a bit of flack from my fellow Hawks SA members for being a Nick Ries fan (much to my embarassment - I will never forgive you Rob) Clarkely just smiled at me and said he had shaved his head (must be a growing trend amongst our boys this year).

Tim Clarke is a very passionate young man and loves Hawthorn. He came across as hurting a hell of a lot from the rabble the team became in 2004. I can see why he is in the leadership group. To all those who doubted why? well dont doubt anymore. Our club culture is going to be rebuilt on the passion, dedication and love blokes like Tim Clarke has for the Hawthorn Footy Club. We can all look forward to watching a completely different side - attitude wise and more competitive performanances.

Anyone who dares to slag and badmouth Tim Clarke deserves a fair kick up the arse. Because until you hear him speak, see the passion for the club in his eyes, see the enthusiasm in his body and the way he he genuinely hurts for the pathetic season we had, we have no bloody clue what any of our players are like and the fact that some of them dont deserve the ******** they cop from ignorant idiots.

Tim Clarke played his junior footy at the same club i play at. It is great to see he is developing as a person and a footballer. Good luck to him.

Yeah quality guy with a great attitude.

Sadly he lacks the ability to ever be more than a poor footballer. Still, wish him all the best as he's one bloke with real character.

Interesting words on Crawf. The champ 'aint done yet and he's smarting after some of the rubbish he copped while injured last year. Watch out.

Great thread, jacqui.

Thanks, good read, very enlightening - stirred my blood.

I'd like to think that posters in this place will put the team's poor season 2004 and any of Tim's poor play behind us.

Let's latch onto Tim's passion and enthusiasm. To dwell on the past cannot possibly assist the Hawks do a U-turn, gradually to return to the top over the next 3 - 5 years. I'm prepared to wait with patience and support.

jacqui9 said:
When asked about final 8 expectations for 2005, Clarke said that it most likely wont happen. There are still a lot of pieces to pick up and rebuild, but the team simply want to base 2005 on gaining lost respect.
Jacqui,I feel the way this is phrased it comes across as a bit of a get out clause if things start foing off track. Was that the way it came across or is it me just reading stuff into it that isn't there? I would expect a better response would have been "we're not thinking about the final 8, we'll try and win each and every game" blah, blah.
Also the bit about Crawf being 'disenchanted' the last few years, he nearly won the brownlow in 2003 so that part was a bit confusing!
Great post.

Yes, good thread Jacqui, a really good read.

It always annoys me when I read things like, "The coach let the players get away with too much", as if the players don't seem to realise they are paid to perform. It's a pity in the 21st century that players still need to be told what to do.

It appears Schwab and Gary Ayres both paid the penalty for treating players like responsible human beings. Just after Ayres was sacked by Adelaide, they interviewed Ben Hart on the radio. When asked what changes Neil Craig had made, Hart said that Craig had insisted that when they arrived for training, players had to switch off their mobile phones. I would have thought that should go without saying ... obviousy not.

Anyway, now I have that off my chest, I have had a good feeling about Clarkson since he was appointed, so I'm looking forward to 2005 with a degree of optimism. Let's hope all players have the same attitude as our new leadership group.

tayls said:
Tim Clarke played his junior footy at the same club i play at. It is great to see he is developing as a person and a footballer. Good luck to him.

your lucky!!!!!....

interesting thread... im glad ya posted :)

Time Clarke is a champion guy, works hard at everything he does, is a leader amongst his peers, very well liked by all, enthusastic about everything he does and always gives 100%.

He would be perfect for the scouts, but for crying out loud not our leadership group.

Tim Clarke said that Thurgood needs to bulk up.

LMAO :eek:

He may be a great public speaker HONESTLY he should channel some of that into his skills.

I have been guilty of being critical of Tim's apparent lack of skill, but will give him the benefit for the up coming season after reading the original post.

I hope he shows some substantial improvement in his physical football skills this year and has a positive impact on the way the Hawks play football.

There needs to be the right blend of leadership, talent and enthusiasm to win football games.

The talent portion incorporates more than just running ability. I hope Tim has been developing the other football related aspects to his game.

C'mon Hawks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when he stops dropping uncontested marks i'll get off his back
when he stops kicking it out on the full i'll get off his back
if he never kicks it into the crane in the construction yard again, he's improved by a long way

but until then....he is still my second most disliked hawthorn player in my time as a fan. right now i can't see anybody displacing jason dailtschenko.

Karbassiyoon said:
but until then....he is still my second most disliked hawthorn player in my time as a fan. right now i can't see anybody displacing jason dailtschenko.
Second Most??
Look, I don't love the guy (you should've included "when he stops getting bumped off the ball by a gust of wind I'll get off his back) but surely there are people you've disliked more.....

My all time disliked player at Hawthorn was undoubtedly Aaron Lord (I know he was a better player blah blah blah but I hated him. You know...like Grenny hates Spider, that stupid, unfounded, I don't care I just hate him kind of thing) ..... anyway, here's a few reminders...

Jon Hassal
Matthew Dent
Greg Madigan
Huddo
Mark Graham
Luke McCabe
Kingsley Hunter

Feel free to join in, it's kinda cathartic.

The guy that sent me mad was Bernis Jones his disposal and coordination would probably be the worst I have ever seen.I dont love Clarkes disposal but I love his speed remember Des Meagher he was a great player with crap disposal.

jacqui9 said:
We didnt let him go, he quit.

It was a good decision by Crawf. He is now physically and mentally better than he has been the last few years.

Someone should jump on the Carlton site and write: I can't believe you guys sacked Craig Bradley

What a rediculous comment by the clearly uninformed.

Green,Clarke and Ries all would struggle to make anyother list including the doggies and tiges. The 3 of them are as pathetic as any that have worn the Brown and Gold, id rather watch grass grow than see Nick Ries ever get a position.

Could you imagine anyother club in the competetion throwing Tim Clarke into a leadership group?? ' John Worsfold announced today that Tim Clarke would be amonst 6 other players in the leadership group' hahaha sounds pathetic doesnt it??.

Anyway i think the players on our list will make massive improvments this season and while i dont think we will make finals or even get out of the bottom 4 i still think when our side plays good footy we can beat 90% of teams, its all about consitency.

cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Tim Clarke is a Leader (Long)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back