Why won't some Victorians give League a chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

melbournestorm

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2003
Altona/Parramatta
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Im back in Sydney atm and it sure is good to open up a newspaper and read some Rugby League news. Interesting comments from Peter Frilingos about the Storm,:

LAST Friday night Melbourne were at no-hopers' odds to beat Canberra in the opening play-off game at Canberra Stadium.
Despite winning easily they're again unwanted at $3.10 against the struggling Bulldogs.
Those odds are likely to lengthen by Sunday as punters continue to convince themselves the Bulldogs' 48-22 loss to the Warriors was an aberration unlikely to be repeated.
Dogs' coach Steve Folkes has resisted the urge to change his side, indicating his unswerving faith that lighting won't strike in the same place twice.
There is also the ongoing "grapple tackle" affair that may well affect how the Storm plays the game.
In my view there is an issue that transcends who tackles within the rules or, in fact, the outcome of the game.
It revolves around the long-term viability of the Storm.
Since the club's inception in 1998 the Storm has had more death riders than than probably any other sporting organisation this country has known. (He must be forgetting the Hunter Mariners)
Despite that pressure the club managed to win the premiership in 1999 and make the play-offs in every year but one.
This season under rookie coach Craig Bellamy, the Storm have continued to achieve against enormous odds in a hostile environment.
Long ago Sydney was generous enough to get behind the Swans, a club that had to be put on financial life support by the AFL to survive.
The Storm have always required something similar but have never been embraced by Melburnians as their team.
At least Channel 9 has done something positive towards taking a step in that direction. (About bloody time)
Tomorrow night's game will be telecast live into Melbourne at 7.30pm.
Thank heavens for small mercies.

Originally posted by melbournestorm

Thank heavens for small mercies. [/B]

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Arn,t Storm playing Sunday arvo. or is the warriors game on live as well.

Long ago Sydney was generous enough to get behind the Swans, a club that had to be put on financial life support by the AFL to survive.
The Storm have always required something similar but have never been embraced by Melburnians as their team.

Aussie rules is a bigger sport in this country, so is more likely to be accepted in non-traditional markets such as sydney and brisbane as opposed to league fulfilling the same thing in melbourne.

Sydney and NSW has had established aussie rules clubs for more than 100 years. of course there is going to be more interest in Australian Football in Sydney than there would be Rugby League in Melbourne where they have next to no infrastructure.

you come across as attacking melbournians for not flocking to this foreign sport that has never had a real presence down there. why aren't you dirty on them for not flocking to play basketball or baseball either?

The main factor would be due to the NRL not promoting the game one single bit since the storm entered the comp. If they followed the AFL in the way that they promote the game in the northern states, it would make people more aware of the game and what a great game it is to watch and play.

Re: Re: Why won't some Victorians give League a chance?

Originally posted by nicko18
Aussie rules is a bigger sport in this country, so is more likely to be accepted in non-traditional markets such as sydney and brisbane as opposed to league fulfilling the same thing in melbourne.

Sydney and NSW has had established aussie rules clubs for more than 100 years. of course there is going to be more interest in Australian Football in Sydney than there would be Rugby League in Melbourne where they have next to no infrastructure.

you come across as attacking melbournians for not flocking to this foreign sport that has never had a real presence down there. why aren't you dirty on them for not flocking to play basketball or baseball either?

Mate, I had never heard of AFL and the Sydney Swans until I moved to Melbourne from Sydney. I'm being honest with you.

The main factor would be due to the NRL not promoting the game one single bit since the storm entered the comp. If they followed the AFL in the way that they promote the game in the northern states, it would make people more aware of the game and what a great game it is to watch and play.

*Applauds*

Im back in Sydney atm and it sure is good to open up a newspaper and read some Rugby League news.

Ummm... When you get back to Altona, perhaps you should open the sports section of the Herald Sun instead of the Ostrich weekly.

I have read it almost every week day over the past fortnight, and EVERY TIME IT HAS HAD AT LEAST A FULL PAGE ON RUGBY LEAGUE.

.....Which leads me to ask, was that yet another troll, could you seriously not find any news on the NRL in Melbourne, or were you overseas.

If your answer is the latter then I understand. If it is either of the former, then you are wasting your time posting.

Re: Re: Why won't some Victorians give League a chance?

Originally posted by Bellicose
Ummm... When you get back to Altona, perhaps you should open the sports section of the Herald Sun instead of the Ostrich weekly.

I have read it almost every week day over the past fortnight, and EVERY TIME IT HAS HAD AT LEAST A FULL PAGE ON RUGBY LEAGUE.

.....Which leads me to ask, was that yet another troll, could you seriously not find any news on the NRL in Melbourne, or were you overseas.

If your answer is the latter then I understand. If it is either of the former, then you are wasting your time posting.

Thank God for the Internet when you're overseas, I don't know how I'd survive without it.

Sure, the Herald Sun covers any Melbourne Storm news, but it never has anything on other teams. Which is a bummer for the likes of me who live in VIC and support interstate teams.

At least Channel 9 has done something positive towards taking a step in that direction. (About bloody time)
Thank heavens for small mercies.

Sydney media (including the telegraph) was extremely hostile against the swans for the 1st 15 years of their existance. In the early days they received far less coverage than the Mrudoch Drizzle do now. "generous" is an out and out lie.

As far as "financial life support", well the Storm have permanently been on that since day one, with no prospects for getting off it in the short or long term future......unless they move to gosford.

Originally posted by BomberAUS
We dont get to see any live matches or anything.

So how can we like the sport.

There is no doubt that Sydney Swans in NSW and Brisbane Lions in QLD are much bigger then Melbourne Storm is in VIC.

AFL is more popular then NRL in Australia.

Very true. Promotion is what is needed. Even a fraction fo what the AFL do in NSW & QLD.

BTW:

QLD + ACT + NSW > VIC + WA + SA + TAS.

You guys are alway down on Victoria for not "acccepting" RL.
here in the West we've been much more accepting .The Reds,the Glory,the Heat,the Wildcats .All top teams . Now I ask,why hasn't NSW and Vic. accepted basketball,baseball and soccer .I think singling out Vic for not accepting RL is no different to when NSW didn't accept AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"QLD + ACT + NSW > VIC + WA + SA + TAS. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New maths

VIC +WA + SA + TAS + NT + %QLD + %NSW + %ACT > %NSW +%QLD + %NZ

Originally posted by Brian
You guys are alway down on Victoria for not "acccepting" RL.
here in the West we've been much more accepting .The Reds,the Glory,the Heat,the Wildcats .All top teams . Now I ask,why hasn't NSW and Vic. accepted basketball,baseball and soccer .I think singling out Vic for not accepting RL is no different to when NSW didn't accept AFL.
harsh on NSW for not accepting basketball, the kings recently just won the nbl and fellow NSW sides west sydney and wollongong are both very strong clubs. agree about victoria though, there acceptance of basketball in particular is very disappointing, but with afl being so big and nrl growing increasingly popular i think you can understand why it happens this way. there is only so much sport victorians can tolerate.

Originally posted by Brian
"QLD + ACT + NSW > VIC + WA + SA + TAS. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New maths

VIC +WA + SA + TAS + NT + %QLD + %NSW + %ACT > %NSW +%QLD + %NZ

Hogwash.

For that matter it may as well be % of everything.

Re: Re: Re: Why won't some Victorians give League a chance?

Originally posted by Tamazoid
Mate, I had never heard of AFL and the Sydney Swans until I moved to Melbourne from Sydney. I'm being honest with you.

So why do you always have a go at Melbournians for not knowing much about RL? From your comment it sounds like Sydney is not any better.

Originally posted by GoalsFrom50Out
"Why won't some Victorians give League a chance?"

Because AFL is more entertaining, maybe?

After watching both AFL games yesterday, I can not find any reasoning to agree with you there...! None at all!!!

Go the Doggies, and enjoy the game live Victorians!

Originally posted by Rachel_NSW
After watching both AFL games yesterday, I can not find any reasoning to agree with you there...! None at all!!!
Both games yesterday were thrashings. How many really uneven Rugby League games are that interesting?
Originally posted by Rachel_NSW
Go the Doggies, and enjoy the game live Victorians!
Yes, that's what I'll do.:rolleyes: ;)

Originally posted by billy big ears
Melbourne Storm OOOOOOO Buldogs 30 maybe thats one reason Melbourne sports fans dont care about the storm.

That would certainly be the easy way out. The fact that the Storm have been one of the best performing sides in the NRL this year tends to blow away your theory though.

Originally posted by billy big ears
Melbourne Storm OOOOOOO Buldogs 30 maybe thats one reason Melbourne sports fans dont care about the storm.
no, its because there are too many stupid people like you who expect the side to win every week, or you give them the ass.

im not fussed that vic havent accepted the storm on the whole, it doesnt affect my enjoyment of watching them play!!

Originally posted by year of the roo
no, its because there are too many stupid people like you who expect the side to win every week, or you give them the ass.

im not fussed that vic havent accepted the storm on the whole, it doesnt affect my enjoyment of watching them play!!

Well said mate.

The people in Melb prefer real rugby (Union) to League. Altough people support the Storm down here no one really cares if they win or lose, also there is no promotion of league & how r u going to get more converts when it's on TV its at midnight. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why won't some Victorians give League a chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back