bragg

Team Captain
Mar 20, 2002
location location
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
West Ham F.C.
Could these two be the worst 2 glovemen going around world cricket ....glovemen not batsman-glovemen they are both more " speedhump" like ....just slowing it down on its way to the boundary

The Strauss dismissal in the second innings was a great catch by Haddin. I think he struggles big time with anything that is wide and that he has to dive at, he just seems very very slow off the mark and makes a mess of the timing. Gilchrist was massively underrated as a keeper.

Prior made some good stops from rancid wide balls, the only thing he really missed was a couple of 4 byes off a Collingwood over when he was up to the stumps. Neither dropped any catches, at least when I was watching anyway.

Could these two be the worst 2 glovemen going around world cricket ....glovemen not batsman-glovemen they are both more " speedhump" like ....just slowing it down on its way to the boundary

Yeah I mean how can that compare to Gilchrist and Jones who both averaged low 20's and grassed sitters in the last series here.

Didn't see too much to indicate that Prior is a bad keeper.

Haddin on the other hand is atrocious. His work up to the stumps was abysmal, drops so many simple takes. Didn't miss any catches but won't be too long before he does. Lucky he can bat because he's a glorified backstop.

Didn't see too much to indicate that Prior is a bad keeper.

Haddin on the other hand is atrocious. His work up to the stumps was abysmal, drops so many simple takes. Didn't miss any catches but won't be too long before he does. Lucky he can bat because he's a glorified backstop.

Prior's no good. A traffic cone would have stopped more byes in the Windies series. His nickname is the human polo mint.

Haddin's footwork is abysmal, slow to react and yet again in this last test match he had his gloves in front of the stumps when he was keeping to the spinners.

Prior's no good. A traffic cone would have stopped more byes in the Windies series. His nickname is the human polo mint.

Haddin's footwork is abysmal, slow to react and yet again in this last test match he had his gloves in front of the stumps when he was keeping to the spinners.

Fair call on Prior, I haven't seen as much of him as Haddin.

Agree on Haddin, his glovework is the worst I've ever seen at a high level. Truly shocking keeper, especially to the spinners.

Fair call on Prior, I haven't seen as much of him as Haddin.

Agree on Haddin, his glovework is the worst I've ever seen at a high level. Truly shocking keeper, especially to the spinners.

Ha.

From what I've seen they're both reasonable and had some hard tests to contend with. Dhoni is the worst keeper in the game by far.

No, they're not that bad.

Both kept fairly well at Cardiff I thought.

Shit thread. Shit OP.

I humbly apologise for not verifying with you first as to what I should post i will endeavor to do so in the future and I will make sure that next time Haddins lazy footwork down leg side and Priors failure to watch the ball into his gloves I will change the channel .As darren Berry said " they are not wicketkeepers they just happen to be standing behind the stumps and someone has put gloves on them . Sorry nuts but since the days of Gilchrist the obsession with backstops who are great bats has seen the end of the jack Russell, Ian Healy types ..........thankfully Maccullum and Sagakarra are playing who happen to be quality at both ....

I humbly apologise for not verifying with you first as to what I should post i will endeavor to do so in the future and I will make sure that next time Haddins lazy footwork down leg side and Priors failure to watch the ball into his gloves I will change the channel .As darren Berry said " they are not wicketkeepers they just happen to be standing behind the stumps and someone has put gloves on them . Sorry nuts but since the days of Gilchrist the obsession with backstops who are great bats has seen the end of the jack Russell, Ian Healy types ..........thankfully Maccullum and Sagakarra are playing who happen to be quality at both ....

Great quote, very constructive, I like the examples you give, you should post more about how you were a kid and wanted to change your name to Neil Harvey.

Hmmm...Didnt relise this forum was for the mexican wave watermelon on the head blue singlet wearing types ..enjoy your facepaint , thought it might have been an interesting topic my apologies ..i will leave you to stacking your plastic beer cups ..cheerio

So you slander their wicket keeping ability but can't actually prove they're worse than their contemporaries, then when asked, insinuate we're all bogans? Cheer up, emo kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Haddin had the same ability with the gloves as he does with the bat he'd be an absolute gun. In my opinion its his footwork that really lets him down in his keeping, this doesn't affect him as much with the bat as his eye is so good. Also is it just me or does he seem to have really hard hands for a keeper?

Not sure where to start pointing out the flaws in your argument, but here goes:

Harden up. If someone says "poor OP" it usually is.

If you want to quote Darren Berry, do him (and us) the courtesy of referencing the quote. Was he giving that quote in reference to Prior and Haddin, as you seem to indicate? I would say not.

Gilchrist was far more than a backstop mate. He kept to Warne and MacGill his entire career. With spinners like that in a team you don't play 'backstops'. If Gilly's keeping was poor he'd have played as a batsman with another keeper in the team. But it's a fallacy his keeping was poor. Perpetuated by fools like you in threads like this.

MacCallum is not a shining beacon to keeping. He's adequate. Sangakarra rarely keeps any more.

In the recent test I sayw Haddin take numerous difficult balls down leg (mostly off Siddle) that impressed me. Didn't see much Prior.

By a country mile?

Healy was better than Marsh especially up to the stumps. Marsh may have been better than Gilchrist but only just.

I know it all comes down to personal opinion but Healy dived too much down the leg side for mine and Gilly missed too many chances that champion keepers shouldn't clang.

Apart from his first test series against England in 1970/71, Marsh rarely grassed anything that he should taken, and turned lots of half chances into catches.

True he doesn't have the number stumpings on his resume like Healy did, but when he came up to the stumps he never had any problems with handling the slows and all keeping to someone like Warne would have done, was increase his number of test dismissals.

BTW, just as a matter of interest, how many of Marsh's tests did you see???

BTW, just as a matter of interest, how many of Marsh's tests did you see???

None that I can specifically remember, I was only 8 when he retired.

I've been keeping since I was 14 so have watched old videos of many wicket keepers with the old man/coach.

Both Healy and Marsh obviously very good to the quicks, nothing much between them. I think Healy had more agility than Marsh, not sure about the diving down leg too much... Both had very sound techniques unlike this clown on display today.

What makes Healy just get over the line for me was his keeping to Warne. Was pretty much always spot on. May well be an unfair comparison as Marsh didn't get a chance to keep to someone of Warne's class.

Anyways, it is very close and nothing like a "country mile".

Haddin is under the pump seriously today. At least you can hide a bit if you're having a shocker as a fielder, but Haddin needs to lift, not just for himself but the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back