Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

WLD%
1.Sydney1760127.8%
2.Geelong1580112.7%
3.Port Adelaide1580111.4%
4.GWS1580109.7%
5.Brisbane Lions1481123.2%
6.Western Bulldogs1490124.4%
7.Hawthorn1490114.2%
8.Carlton1490112.5%
9.Fremantle1391115.2%
10.Collingwood1292101.3%
11.Essendon1111192.5%
12.Melbourne1112099.8%
13.St Kilda1013097.0%
14.Gold Coast1013092.9%
15.Adelaide814198.5%
16.West Coast518067.6%
17.Richmond320068.3%
18.North Melbourne320065.7%
QF1: SYDNEY v GWS
QF2: GEELONG v Port Adelaide
EF1: BRISBANE LIONS v Carlton
EF2: Western Bulldogs v HAWTHORN

SF1: GWS v Brisbane Lions
SF2: Port Adelaide v HAWTHORN

PF1: SYDNEY v Hawthorn
PF2: GEELONG v GWS

GF: Sydney v GEELONG

There is a mathematical chance this happens if Geelong beats WC by 10+ goals than GWS and Port lose their matches
4 from 4 so far, with the correct matchups, only with Port hosting Geelong instead of vice versa. Good call. Keep it going!

4 from 4 so far, with the correct matchups, only with Port hosting Geelong instead of vice versa. Good call. Keep it going!

Good first round of tipping but if you didn’t go for the Cats I doubt you would’ve tipped them.

You have tipped them winning the whole thing after all.

Despite our success this weekend, I'm actually pretty gutted on this Sunday morning after yesterday's result.

I honestly cannot see how it isn't Geelong vs Sydney again. If you asked me at the beginning of the season 'what is the worst possible Grand Final match up?', I would have said this, but followed up with 'thankfully there's no chance of it happening since they were 8th and 12th last year'.

My annual Grand Final day party might be given a year off, because it will be near-impossible to muster up any enthusiasm.

I probably won't go as far as to say I'll 'have a day out with the family instead', because that feels spiteful. But it won't be a day befitting of the usual revelry.

Am I the only one feeling this way?
I'm sure there are others, but Geelong vs Sydney would be fine for me.

A rematch of the 2022 classic.

Despite our success this weekend, I'm actually pretty gutted on this Sunday morning after yesterday's result.

I honestly cannot see how it isn't Geelong vs Sydney again. If you asked me at the beginning of the season 'what is the worst possible Grand Final match up?', I would have said this, but followed up with 'thankfully there's no chance of it happening since they were 8th and 12th last year'.

My annual Grand Final day party might be given a year off, because it will be near-impossible to muster up any enthusiasm.

I probably won't go as far as to say I'll 'have a day out with the family instead', because that feels spiteful. But it won't be a day befitting of the usual revelry.

It would be a depressing end to an exciting, unpredictable season. I would be enthused for Sydney revenge but I don't trust Sydney. I was annoyed by last night's result because again the Swans were inferior but relied on bursts driven by a few players to get it done. Their system just doesn't compare to Geelong. If they meet again Geelong should go in favourites and smash them again.

I don't trust any other team either except the Hawks. Don't particularly want them to win it all but will take it over Geelong.

2023 replay from 12:30pm to end sounds good on GF day if it ends up being Sydney and Geelong which is my least preferred matchup.

Last time it happened, I wasn't interested and the Hawks racism saga sucked out my enjoyment of grand final week. To top it off, the match was one-sided

2023 replay from 12:30pm to end sounds good on GF day if it ends up being Sydney and Geelong which is my least preferred matchup.

Last time it happened, I wasn't interested and the Hawks racism saga sucked out my enjoyment of grand final week. To top it off, the match was one-sided
Why do you post on BigFooty so much? You seem incredibly bored and even tortured by the sport we love. Might just be time for a new hobby. You’re miserable.

Yes, shut up you nerd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 likely grand final rematches remain

Geelong v Sydney - 2022 (Cats won by 81 pts)
Geelong v Port Adelaide 2007 (Cats won by 119)

These margins give me 2011 flashbacks
Geelong will comfortably win the flag.

Last final played against the remaining teams:

Port QF 2024 - 84 points
Sydney GF 2022 - 81 points
Brisbane PF 2022 - 71 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back