Senior Will Ashcroft (2022-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane young gun Will Ashcroft says last year’s grand final heartbreak is “absolutely” driving the Lions’ stunning form surge that has many pundits ready to declare last year’s runners-up the new favourites to win this year’s AFL premiership.

The return of former No.1 pick Ashcroft from an ACL injury has been crucial in a run of nine-straight wins after the Lions won just two of six games to start the season. Brisbane is now second on the ladder, just half a game behind Sydney.
A top-four finish looks on the cards again and Ashcroft, who missed last year’s final series after hurting his knee in round 19, said he had “heaps more levels to go to” in the run to the finals.
He also said last year’s four-point grand final loss to Collingwood was hard to forget for all the players and provided a source of motivation.
“It does, absolutely it does,” he said. “There’s a lot of individual reasons why people want to win a premiership; some are at the back end of their career and want to get it done with this group. “Then there’s young guys like me who are just ambitious and so keen to see where we can go. There’s different reasons and off the back of last year, that drives us massively.
“Hopefully, we can set ourselves up for a massive finals campaign.”

Ashcroft has now played six games since being thrust straight into the AFL side after nearly 12 months on the sidelines. He is averaging 18 disposals, the number he racked up in Sunday’s 85-point win over St Kilda.
He said he was still coming to grips with the “speed” of senior football having played no matches before his return.
“I am feeling good, I just have to be patient with the process,” he said.
“Get better, learn every week, get the body feeling good – I think that’s my sixth game now, so I am feeling more confident and I have heaps more levels to go to.

“Hopefully, I can continue to build for the rest of the year. “The speed of the game, you just can’t replicate it at training. We do a bit of match sim at training for 10-15 minutes but everyone is going at half pace. “From the get-go adapting to that again, making sure I am making the right decisions and the fitness, you can do all the running in the world, but there’s nothing like game fitness.
Will Ashcroft says he will only get better with more games under his belt. Picture: Matt Roberts/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Will Ashcroft says he will only get better with more games under his belt. Picture: Matt Roberts/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
“I am starting to feel better in that sense as well now.”
Ashcroft, whose role within the side is to “be tough at the contest but also have some flair and drive on the outside”, said staying patient had been difficult upon his return.
But the slow build back is why he is so assured he can add more to the new premiership favourites.
“It is hard because I played 18 games in my first year and there’s going to be development there naturally without the injury,” he said.
“I am looking forward to improving and having a big impact.
“I know within myself and guys around me and in my inner circle know that I have a lot more to give.
“So sticking to the process and having the confidence in myself to come out every week, get better, better and better – that’s what I will continue to do.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior Will Ashcroft (2022-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back