Will Jon Brown leave the Lions? What's he worth in a trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
Let me start by saying that I think it is highly unlikely that JB will leave Brisbane. I think he is almost certain to stay put.

That said, if he insists on a five-year deal, what is the club meant to do? He'll be 27 at the end of the year. Signing a five-year, $6m deal isn't smart.

Caro is already on the case:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2008/05/29/1211654222126.html

Plenty of guesswork there.

But the question that interests me is about his worth in a trade.

To supporters of Victorian clubs - there's probably only 3-4 who would seriously consider going after JB - what would you be prepared to give to get him to your club?

Not a Victorian nor am I following a Victorian club.

Anyway, Brown's worth will be decided by whether Brisbane want to get rid of him because of his demands, OR he is making these demands to try and get out and make a fresh start in Victoria OR the club feel it is time to get rid of him

It certainly isnt number 3, that pretty obvious.

If it is situation number 1 the trade will be heavily reliant on what the other club can offer in the trade AND have to offer Browny.

Offer number 2 would be similar to the Judd trade. Brown could just pick a team and force Leigh and the Lions to negotiate on their terms. If that is the case the Lions will get screwed over.

Personally I think it is irrelevant because the Lions are on the cusp of another strong side. Within a few years they will be scary once again and Jono will want to be a part of that...

• Banned
Not a Victorian nor am I following a Victorian club.

Anyway, Brown's worth will be decided by whether Brisbane want to get rid of him because of his demands, OR he is making these demands to try and get out and make a fresh start in Victoria OR the club feel it is time to get rid of him

It certainly isnt number 3, that pretty obvious.

If it is situation number 1 the trade will be heavily reliant on what the other club can offer in the trade AND have to offer Browny.

Offer number 2 would be similar to the Judd trade. Brown could just pick a team and force Leigh and the Lions to negotiate on their terms. If that is the case the Lions will get screwed over.

Personally I think it is irrelevant because the Lions are on the cusp of another strong side. Within a few years they will be scary once again and Jono will want to be a part of that...
You haven't said much here, champ.

Realise that but

1: Im a WCE fan. Brown will never come to WCE, and my knowledge of those clubs chasing him isnt really of a high enough standard to be speaking on there behalf.

2: We are just now heading into round 10. While speculation is a year round process, there is still a lot of water to pass under the bridge before any club would be thinking that Brown is going to be on the market and for them to begin formulating potential trades.

I personally believe that Brown will stay with the Lions. I, like everyone who has ever given an opinion on the footy have been wrong before. Only time will really tell...

The AFL will make sure that he will not leave, Brown leaving the Lions to go back to Victoria would be a public relations diaster for the game in Queensland and would probably set back AFL in Queensland by 5 years at least. The lions have no other big brand name players to market the game here in Queensland. The AFL would not let it happen, they'd do everything to make sure he stays, maybe even if it means turning a blind eye to player payments for Brown.

maybe even if it means turning a blind eye to player payments for Brown.

I highly doubt that

I have a lot of respect for the way Johnno goes about things on, and off the ground. His managers don't mind using the papers to push negotiations along, but at the end of the day, he'll be a Lion for life.

If the Pies were able to make a play for him, I'd be willing to concede a straight swap for Rocca

If the Pies were able to make a play for him, I'd be willing to concede a straight swap for Rocca

I get the feeling that wouldn't quite be enough.

I'd rather not have him anyway, as he would cost too much. I would want the Pies to be more focused on getting a good midfielder.

BUT... if he we were to trade for him it'd be probably be something like first round pick + Ben Reid + someone else like a second round pick or another first round if we could get one. Possibly a player like Maxwell or Rusling.

BUT... if he we were to trade for him it'd be probably be something like first round pick + Ben Reid + someone else like a second round pick or another first round if we could get one. Possibly a player like Maxwell or Rusling.

if it's 2 1st rounders and Reid they might look at it. it would have to be at least something similar to what WCE got for Judd.

It's pretty hilarious to be quite honest.

When a Collingwood or Carlton player doesn't sign immediately, it's all part of normal "contract negotiations" according to their supporters. They can't believe a player would even consider leaving the club they love.

But when it's a Brisbane player, it's all "Player X wants to leave immediately", "Matthews doesn't speak to him", "I know his real estate agent / butcher / girlfriend / sister and I know for a fact he is unhappy and wants out" - "what do we offer them? Chris Egan / Grigg + a 2nd rounder? Because he will just step into the PSD otherwise."

The Carlton Board is particularly good reading. Apparently Brown is falling over himself to get to the Blues as he harbors a long-burning desire to play with the simpleton Fevola as they both played up forward for Victoria, and were both on TFS at the same time.

What will happen when Brown re-signs? Surely we won't get the "he was never going to leave anyway" or "we had no chance of getting him".

Even the slime-ball Hutchy who would usually fester on rumours such as these, knows Brown is dealing exclusively with the Lions and will not go.

"what do we offer them? Chris Egan / Grigg + a 2nd rounder? Because he will just step into the PSD otherwise."

Hmm yeah because it is only us.
Some of the offers by Brisbane fans when they were trying to get Riewoldt were pretty funny.

Sherman + Corrie and Sherman + 2nd round pick for Riewoldt.

No surprise that once again you are being shown up as the hypocrite you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot "we didn't want him in the first place"...

I don't.

Gun player but he is 27 and his body has taken a beating. That is why the Lions won't offer a 5 year deal because his body could be stuffed in 3.

I wouldn't want to trade young guns and/or early draft picks for a guy for 3 years. We won't have the picks the Lions would want anyway.

Best player in the game at the moment but in 3 years time???????

Got any evidence mate? Especially as that poster obviously has developed cloning technology and found an AFL rule to trade rookies:eek:

It might have been that other dud Hooper then, but you are missing the point.

Supporters of every club do that same shit, yet it's always the Brisbane supporters who whinge about it and pretend their shit doesn't stink.

It's pretty hilarious to be quite honest.

When a Collingwood or Carlton player doesn't sign immediately, it's all part of normal "contract negotiations" according to their supporters. They can't believe a player would even consider leaving the club they love.

But when it's a Brisbane player, it's all "Player X wants to leave immediately", "Matthews doesn't speak to him", "I know his real estate agent / butcher / girlfriend / sister and I know for a fact he is unhappy and wants out" - "what do we offer them? Chris Egan / Grigg + a 2nd rounder? Because he will just step into the PSD otherwise."

The Carlton Board is particularly good reading. Apparently Brown is falling over himself to get to the Blues as he harbors a long-burning desire to play with the simpleton Fevola as they both played up forward for Victoria, and were both on TFS at the same time.

What will happen when Brown re-signs? Surely we won't get the "he was never going to leave anyway" or "we had no chance of getting him".

Even the slime-ball Hutchy who would usually fester on rumours such as these, knows Brown is dealing exclusively with the Lions and will not go.

Give us a break, Pies are linked by managers to get the price up.

Interesting that some of the Carlton supporters who correctly called the Judd to Carlton deal, very early, are saying that Brown is on the way to Carlton.

Give us a break, Pies are linked by managers to get the price up.

Interesting that some of the Carlton supporters who correctly called the Judd to Carlton deal, very early, are saying that Brown is on the way to Carlton.
Wow Carlton supporters saying that Judd will go to Carlton. They must be psychics.:rolleyes:

Hmm yeah because it is only us.
Some of the offers by Brisbane fans when they were trying to get Riewoldt were pretty funny.

Sherman + Corrie and Sherman + 2nd round pick for Riewoldt.

No surprise that once again you are being shown up as the hypocrite you are.
IIRC, most of the discussion at the time re: Riewoldt involved Bradshaw/Charman and a first round pick. Even then, most supporters thought it was pie in the sky stuff.

Every supporter has their idiots though. I am pretty sure BrownDog tried to offer Matthew Moody as part of a deal.

5 Years is way to long for a guy that has had Injury problems

he has hit his peak if he was 23 you would throw the 5 years at him but at 27 and 2 years of his best footy infront of him its not worth it for Brisbane or any Club

If his so confident in his ability over 5 years he should have a get out clause in his contract for the club if anything goes wrong

1. I don't think he will leave.

2. He is worth as much as Judd was, if not more, because he is not under an injury cloud at the moment. That said, what West Coast got for Judd wasn't really what Judd was worth.

The conjecture in that article - especially the second half - was worse than most Bigfooty threads.

It might have been that other dud Hooper then, but you are missing the point.

Supporters of every club do that same shit, yet it's always the Brisbane supporters who whinge about it and pretend their shit doesn't stink.

I know there were rumours of Riewoldt coming to QLD, but I really don't think you could say that the Lions have really ever been in the business of trading for established stars from other clubs.

Yes, we got Travis Johnstone last season, but not sure we would have looked for him if the Cameron Wood trade did not happen, the first round pick was too valuable for that.

Before that however, I have hardly ever heard our name come up in player negotiations from other clubs. We got Caracella, but that was the price we paid for losing Headland, and really apart from Mal Michael in the swap for Molloy, there have not been too many.

When our players contracts are up for renewal though, it is a different story. Brown, Bradshaw, Power, Brennan, Clark, Drummond, Copeland and Roe have all been targetted by other clubs in the past few years.

Don't mistake it for a sook on my behalf, as I see it as a credit to our club that we develope these players and other clubs see them as assets to their clubs. I am just thankful that most of them have decided to stay Lions:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Jon Brown leave the Lions? What's he worth in a trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back