What are some of the biggest pieces of revisionist history in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

That Alan Jeans had nothing to do with John Greening's demise at Moorabbin in 1972 and that Jim O'Dea was later feted by his club despite being the person who assaulted Greening.

There were after all only about 20,000 witnesses.

I saw him do a few 75 metre goals as a kid, kicked one at princes park on the run from the circle and one torp from the circle against Richmond, landed in the goal square and went through. 75 metres? Both on Youtube if ya wanna see.77 metres? possibly 80. so , you may be wrong, he was a huge kick. Also saw him land it on the roof at the old G punt rd goals from the goal square.

Yes, but he didn’t have to literally kick them from 75 metres out for “kicking 14 goals on a wing” being true

I may been living in my ABC 774 bubble but remember quite vividly that most were saying Fremantle’s manic pressure was unstoppable and that the Hawks couldn’t win. Also remember being worried about it as a consequence and then pleasantly surprised when all the pressure seemed to come from Hawthorn. So there was a sense in some circles that Freo would win

A quick Google search shows Hawks were $1.60 favourite and expected to win

Some may have suggested Freo could win, but Hawthorn simply weren't underdogs

Sad Arrested Development GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Matthew Lloyd. The Dockers pinched Todd Ridley from the Bombers for their initial squad as part of their deal to enter the league. Essendon as compensation got to pick a 16yr old and effectively pre-list them. There is no guarantee that the Dockers would’ve drafted Lloyd if he was available.

All this myth does is take away from an absolutely incredible bit of scouting done by Essendon as they got a 12 times leading goalscorer, 3 times Coleman medallist and 5 time all Australian out of a 16 year old.
Lloyd kicked 50 goals as a 16 year old in the under 18s, lived in the Essendon zone and his dad played VFL footy. Don't think it was that incredible that they'd pick him, really.

In fact, knowing Kevin Sheedy as we do, I wouldn't be surprised to find they identified Lloyd and went to the AFL to specifically request "access to a 16 year old".

Does anyone believe that Jeans had nothing to do with it?
I'm sure Jeans had nothing to do with Cowboy Neale knocking Huddo into Disneyland in the 71 GF either,

I'm sure Jeans had nothing to do with Cowboy Neale knocking Huddo into Disneyland in the 71 GF either,
Jeans was a thug of a coach.
The back and forth between Peter McKenna & Jeans on World of Sport the day after the Mathews/Bruns incident actually had nothing to do with what had happened the day before.

Jeans was a thug of a coach.
The back and forth between Peter McKenna & Jeans on World of Sport the day after the Mathews/Buns incident actually had nothing to do with what had happened the day before.
Yes, it was pretty clear what that exchange was about.

Re the Freo/Hawks GF I think it’s understandable people were hyped about Freo given we had done what almost nobody gave us a hope of, getting the win after being made to play in Geelong which no one has had to do before or since. All the football talk that week was about the looming Geelong/Hawks GF as we were not given a hope by anyone.

To then follow up with one of the most ruthless demolition jobs I’ve ever seen on Sydney, well we were looking good.

However that doesn’t take into account that the Hawks style was Lyon’s Achilles heel. They made us look foolish almost every time we played them. The odds were entirely accurate.

There were some shocking decisions on the day like the 50 against McPharlin in the first minute & Cyril getting a free in front of goal for a tackle he was later reported for.

But ultimately we kicked ourselves out of it & the better team won.

I genuinely believe we would have won against any other team that year.

But it’s all history now.

Re the Freo/Hawks GF I think it’s understandable people were hyped about Freo given we had done what almost nobody gave us a hope of, getting the win after being made to play in Geelong which no one has had to do before or since. All the football talk that week was about the looming Geelong/Hawks GF as we were not given a hope by anyone.

To then follow up with one of the most ruthless demolition jobs I’ve ever seen on Sydney, well we were looking good.

However that doesn’t take into account that the Hawks style was Lyon’s Achilles heel. They made us look foolish almost every time we played them. The odds were entirely accurate.

There were some shocking decisions on the day like the 50 against McPharlin in the first minute & Cyril getting a free in front of goal for a tackle he was later reported for.

But ultimately we kicked ourselves out of it & the better team won.

I genuinely believe we would have won against any other team that year.

But it’s all history now.
I blame Travis Varcoe.

Lloyd kicked 50 goals as a 16 year old in the under 18s, lived in the Essendon zone and his dad played VFL footy. Don't think it was that incredible that they'd pick him, really.

In fact, knowing Kevin Sheedy as we do, I wouldn't be surprised to find they identified Lloyd and went to the AFL to specifically request "access to a 16 year old".
Yep. Same way North were trying to get concessions to get Ryley Sanders last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

What are some of the biggest pieces of revisionist history in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back