Injury Will McLean come good in 2011? (just Carlton supporters)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

brazilblue

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 14, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I for one am so sick and tired of every opposition supporter bagging the McLean trade. During trade week I must have read the similiar snide remark 10,000 times.

I think at the time 95% of Carlton supporters approved of the trade (yes we paid overs but for a critical need), as did I (geez we had to do something for Juddy!), and I think and hope in the end we will be proven correct.

I see the McLean trade as a bit of a Warknock deal, first year injured, 2nd year shows why we rated him so highly. I have no information, just a gut feel but would love to see if there are still a lot of the 95% who still believe in McLean.

Also with the new interchange rule coming in surely this will help McLean even more given, hopefully, a clear run with injuries.

The fact that we did not rush him back for the final and kept him in cotton wool is also encouraging.

I would also like some good oil on his progress, whether the rumours of his body being totally shot have substance (surely we did a full comprehensive medical on him) and finally what the 95% who agreed with the trade at the time think will be McLean's output next year.

Personally I hope his nickname is Brock the Rock (for all the right reasons) next year! Will shut the mouths of oh so many opposition d$%kheads!

this_will_not_end_well.sized.jpg

• Banned
What's that supposed to mean Malice?

Early season (before injury) I thought Brock played well and with the new interchange rules I cannot see why you are being negative unless you have good oil that its game over body wise for McLean.

If so please share what you know, as stated I do not have the luxury of insider knowledge. If its just a general observation of what you believe then a few words could clear up the confusion as that picture could mean 1 of 2 things.

1) you think the thread is stupid and it will not end well for the OP
2) you believe that McLean is gone and that the trade we did will come back to bite us (again)

If its 1) and you want to shoot a new poster down for what i hope is a decent discussion now that the season is over well .....

excuse me all over the place.

We've spent the whole season having people attack Brock because he was injured for most of the year.

Opening a new thread allows for it all to happen again.

Not a good thing.

FWIW, I think he'll kill it in 2011.

• Banned
Granted, but I did say in the title Carlton supporters only, should make it easy for mods to hand out Reds if we get any Action Jacksons.

If Mods agree that this will invite too many trolls from other teams please feel free to lock the thread.

Just here to have sensible debate and see how McLean is progressing.

If that cannot be achieved torch the MF.

Granted, but I did say in the title Carlton supporters only, should make it easy for mods to hand out Reds if we get any Action Jacksons.

If Mods agree that this will invite too many trolls from other teams please feel free to lock the thread.

Just here to have sensible debate and see how McLean is progressing.

If that cannot be achieved torch the MF.

The problem is that it was a certain group of Carlton supporters who were attacking McLean last year.

Brock will be fit and firing come round one.

Can't wait to see him out there winning the contested ball and blocking for Juddy/Murph.

I just hope his kicking has improved a little (although at times it looked OK).

I hope he's right to play all season, he makes our midfield so much better when he's playing.

Like Kreuzer, he lays a lot of tackles and makes us a much harder, tougher team.

I hope this year was just like Warnock's first year at Carlton and we've fixed a lot of problems his amateur previous club couldn't.

Please keep this discussion clean fellas and GO BROCK :thumbsu:

People weren't bagging him when we toweled up Geelong, and that was after the first injury. He's had a shocking run this year, and I can't wait to see him back on the field in 2011. We are a better team with Brock in it.

Good thread and good OP...

I personally can't wait to see a fit and firing Brock... he will be like a new recruit next year.

I think we play our best footy when Hadley or Grigg have really good games... It frustrates me seeing people saying we delist Hadley... when I think he is vital for 2 reasons... until Brock is back and firing he is best 22... and if Brock does fulfil what we want from him... Hadley is an important backup...

I actually can't wait to bump a few posts/thread next year when Brock is taring it apart... but before shooting my mouth... I would like to see Brock play first team consistent footy...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton gambled in taking a slow, mature bodied onballer instead of a raw teenager. Due to injury concerns we haven't won the trade just yet.

The success of the club won't rest on one player's fortunes. Rather, we ought to delist aggressively and stock up on youth. 'Depth', in keeping players on your list not in your best 27 or so is a mirage.

Good thread and good OP...

I personally can't wait to see a fit and firing Brock... he will be like a new recruit next year.

I think we play our best footy when Hadley or Grigg have really good games... It frustrates me seeing people saying we delist Hadley... when I think he is vital for 2 reasons... until Brock is back and firing he is best 22... and if Brock does fulfil what we want from him... Hadley is an important backup...

I actually can't wait to bump a few posts/thread next year when Brock is taring it apart... but before shooting my mouth... I would like to see Brock play first team consistent footy...

Have to agree with the comment about when our inside players play well, so do we. Jeez I wish Hadley had strung some good games together in Brock's abscence. I really notice and rate his work around / under packs and his tackling in close.

As for Brock, I just have my fingers and toes crossed that he can stay fit and un-injured. We did give a lot up for him, but as a previous poster has pointed out, he fills a critical need for us.

The success of the club won't rest on one player's fortunes. Rather, we ought to delist aggressively and stock up on youth. 'Depth', in keeping players on your list not in your best 27 or so is a mirage.

You need coverage beyond 27, especially in specific areas. Hadley for example is bit off our best players, but if McLean is injured and Grigg is now gone, we need him in the side.
No point cutting 8-10 guys, when you are going to replace them with kids who are no better, and at best will take 3-4 years to be at AFL standard.

Don't underestimate how badly Brock wants to play well either.

He's had countless ops this year so he should have sorted all of his injury niggles, i'm betting on a HUGE 2011 for Brock :thumbsu:

we will find out in time...

You know gbatman, I find that statement right and wrong at the same time.

Yes, it is obvious only time will tell, but from what I've seen of Mclean he adds somewhat more to our collective than just on field performances.
He pushes himself as hard as anyone at the CFC, and from what I have gleaned is a good mentor to our young also. (Certainly more animated and instructive than Judd)

Spend some time watching the guy train, and that alone will give you the comfort level that we had still made the right decision.

Probably not. It seems like another case of Luke Ball-itis which is unfortunate because like the play mentioned already Brock McLean can actually play too.

Probably not. It seems like another case of Luke Ball-itis which is unfortunate because like the play mentioned already Brock McLean can actually play too.
Did you not notice what Luke Ball did to you guys in the grand final replay? If McLean gets Luke Ball-itis next year we'll all be very happy.

Is Luke Ball-itis that shocking, debilitating condition that occurs due to having to carry the weight of a Premiership medal around your neck? Would be very happy if Brock gets Luke Ball-itis.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back