Unofficial Preview Will Round 1 v Swans be a sell out?

Round 1 v Swans @ Skoda. Sell out?

• Yes

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Now I'm not 100% sure Round 1 will be Giants v Swans but it looks likely in my opinion. Will Swans fans head to Skoda to see Buddy in the red and white for the first time? Will Giants fans go after the Buddy situation? Will it sell out?

I would have thought the game would have enough interest to pull 25,000 people...

Opinions?

So far every game we've played against the swans would have stacked out Skoda so I don't see why next year would be any different.

If it was at Skoda then yes, but it will be at ANZ I would think

I thought I read the Giants will be playing 8 home games at Skoda and 3 home games at Manuka in 2014? If they played the Swans game at Skoda it'd set the all time attendance record at the ground. The current record is held by the Canterbury Bulldogs who pulled 21,895 to a game in 2001.

I think it would be a great atmosphere, but do you think that the AFL are thinking the Buddy factor will draw a bigger crowd and move to ANZ?

I think they might, especially considering we've just picked up Mumford. There'd be a great deal of interest in seeing Buddy in the red-and-white, as well as Mumford in his first game against the Swans.

But if the match was held at SKODA, it would sell out for sure. It would generate a huge amount of favourable publicity for us and the atmosphere would be unbelievable.

Just thinking about it is exciting! :)

I think it would be a great atmosphere, but do you think that the AFL are thinking the Buddy factor will draw a bigger crowd and move to ANZ?

Given what has happened the last few days - I think the AFL will be tempted to leave the game at ANZ.

but agree with others, a packed out Skoda would be fantastic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because they have Buddy I don't think that means they will sell out ANZ. They cant even do that in a final.
Not saying they would sell out ANZ but thinking a crowd of more than 25,000 would be expected. Not sure of the cost of stadium v stadium and what a break even crowd would be

Buddy Franklin is now officially a Swan. Definitely sell out at Skoda and 45k at ANZ. Unfortunately, it will almost definitely be at ANZ.

That's the standard condition for the outside of the ground as it is mainly a league ground.

Except in summer, when it's left configured as an oval for cricket. I don't think there's been any complaints about the outer surface then. Maybe about the pitch, but that's another story.

In a letter to members just posted on the giants website, Tony Shephard makes mention of round 1 being at Skoda, no mention of a possible shift to ANZ so I hope that holds.

Round one against the Swans at our home ground at Sydney Olympic Park promises to be a big game for many reasons. I have no doubt the next instalment of the Battle of the Bridge will be a sell-out and the continuation what will be a huge cross town rivalry for many years to come.

And this just tweeted by the club....

@GWS_Giants: Just to clarify - we will play SydneySwans in the Battle of the Bridge at Skoda Stadium in round one next year.

Fantastic news. Can't wait! It will also be a real selling point for our membership department.

The AFL is contracted to play three games a year at ANZ until 2016, so it will be interesting to see what matches end up getting played there next year.

Back