Will Thorp continue to be groomed as a CHB with the additions of Schoey and Lisle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
There's an argument that with the new additions, Boyle, Thorp and Dowler can focus their trade on being tall forwards at BH until they get their chance in the senior team and Lisle, Schoey and Murphy can focus on being the bigger defenders.

Do people think we will go that way, or with the time until Lisle and Schoey are ready, they will persist with Thorp as a key defender, to cover Croad's likely absence.

PS This is not a forum to re-air that silly notion that Renouf and Campbell can be permanent key defenders. ;)

Good question. I think Thorp should get worked in both positions, and lets see where he flourishes. Better yet, lets try get our Box Hill team better so our forwards can atleast have a chance. This kid has some huge wraps on him, and I am excited to see him get another run in the seniors. But personally I cant see us going with a three tall set up, even if Thorp is doing a spot up role. It seemed our run and carry was what set us apart from other teams, and trying to focus our set up on a traditonal CHF spot up role could do more damage to our game plan then good.

With that said I hope Thorp develops to a defender. He has the hunger, he is super competitive, why not?

From what I have seen at Box Hill he has played all over the ground so I don't think he is necessarily being groomed for CHB - can't recall seeing any posts from people in the know to suggest this is what the club is doing with him??

Because we have a hole in our side in lacking another key defender and Thorp (and Dowler) is KP size people are wanting to put 2 and 2 together to manufacture a 4 to solve the problem.

Good thread CLA, particularly with the point regarding Campbell and Renouf. It really bugs me every time someone says that. With the speed of todays game ruckman don't convert well to defenders.

On the Thorp notion, I really don't think he's got the pace to be a defender. For me he's really slow over the first 10 meters. Maybe it's because of his hip injuries that he doesn't have that burst of speed? Has anyone seen him training of late and can inform us on how he's travelling? I would love for this kid to have a huge year and become a regular in the seniors.

Agreed CLA, and Hawk Eye. Campbell and Renouf will never be full time defenders.

Is there any chance Cambell and Renouf will share a full back position therfore only 50 percent of their time defenders:D...hehe

Good question. I think Thorp should get worked in both positions, and lets see where he flourishes. Better yet, lets try get our Box Hill team better so our forwards can atleast have a chance. This kid has some huge wraps on him, and I am excited to see him get another run in the seniors. But personally I cant see us going with a three tall set up, even if Thorp is doing a spot up role. It seemed our run and carry was what set us apart from other teams, and trying to focus our set up on a traditonal CHF spot up role could do more damage to our game plan then good.

With that said I hope Thorp develops to a defender. He has the hunger, he is super competitive, why not?
I love the 3 talls playing in the forward line we did it with Boyle as the 3rd tall last year with some success horses for courses Buddy moves like a wing man so our forward line wouldn't be to top heavy imo.

Re Thorp in the Back line would love the club to play him at CHB & in the Forward line should be a swing man if & when needed as Roughie has said lets see where he flourishes needs to actually get a game & have a huge pre season & cement a spot in our best 22 with us selecting 2 more KPP the time is now for Thorp to step & deliver on his potential & barring any more injury's i can see this happening.......:thumbsu:

I love the 3 talls playing in the forward line we did it with Boyle as the 3rd tall last year with some success horses for courses Buddy moves like a wing man so our forward line wouldn't be to top heavy imo.:

I also liked seeing the four prong set up in 2007, with Boyle, Franklin, Roughie and Willow. But we had to move on. It was too top heavy, and it hurt our chances in stopping rebounding defences like Geelong. But with that Said Thorp moves alot better then Boyle. I just feel the 'box' set up was more of a stop gap solution then along term forward structure. It worked well then because it was unseen before, and throw in Buddy bursting on the scene. But for now the isolation of the twin towers swapping between FF and CHF have caused huge headaches. And we have done well with out needing either Roughie or Franklin constantly pushing up to Centre Wing to get a kick.

No KPP walks straight into a team at 18.
Thorp & Dowler have been in the system for 2-3 years, that is how much headstart they have over Shoenmaker & Lisle. It will be several years before either of them have a major influence as a key defender.

Frustrating that many posters do not recognise this element of our list. They still clamour for new recruits to make a significant impact from their first year, and are abrasive towards them if they haven't succeeded by the third.

Campbell maybe.
Renouf not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember during the U18 carnival a few years ago he was even playing in the midfield.

I would personally love him to go up forward full time once he gets his body right. 2 tall power forwards (Buddy and Roughy) already stretch opposition defences as it is. With him there, and Cyril, Ozzie and/or Stokes at their feet, it's bringing our forward line to a new level.

I remember during the U18 carnival a few years ago he was even playing in the midfield.

Q. Relevance?
A. Absolutely none :rolleyes:

I agree with Consumed, the difference in development between Thorp/Dowler and the kids we just drafted is enormous.

Recently, only Kruezer was able to make an immediate impact as a KPP/ruck in his first season out of U18s/juniors. The others who did (e.g. Palmer/Rioli/Cotchin) were mainly small midfield running types.

Expect nothing with Schoenmakers and Lisle for the first two years, and anything above that will be a pleasant bonus. Remember, they have just joined the reigning premiers :D as opposed to a bottom 4 side.

Can I get someone explain to me why Renouf could not hold down a KDP?
He seems pretty damm atheletic to me.
Athletic for a ruck, but not athletic for a KPP in my opinion.
We were all touting him as a CHB not that long ago
No we weren't. Some people here were. Plenty have always thought that neither him, nor Campbell are valid fulltime defenders.

I'd like to think Thorp is being groomed to just get a few games next season and not break down.

Forget the optimisim that comes from post Grand Final euphoria.

On displayed form there is an argument that his body may not be able to stand up to the rigors of AFL football let alone a key position.

I'll be happy for him to just string together the first 10 games of the season (at any level)
Sure the kids got some talent (but according to Sheeds so did Courtney Johns ;) )

Whilst you have to love the optimism I suspect it's little steps this season, rather than KPP domination for the reigning premiers.

Q. Relevance?
A. Absolutely none :rolleyes:

I agree with Consumed, the difference in development between Thorp/Dowler and the kids we just drafted is enormous.

Recently, only Kruezer was able to make an immediate impact as a KPP/ruck in his first season out of U18s/juniors. The others who did (e.g. Palmer/Rioli/Cotchin) were mainly small midfield running types.

Expect nothing with Schoenmakers and Lisle for the first two years, and anything above that will be a pleasant bonus. Remember, they have just joined the reigning premiers :D as opposed to a bottom 4 side.

Ever heard of Harry Taylor?
It can be done.

I have seen a little bit of Thorp for Box Hill. He has shown some pretty good form at times andlooks to have all talent to make it a go of it at Senior level. (Box Hill pretty oridinary unit last year).

Would 1st like to seem him have a full pre season and be cherry ripe. Let him loose in the NAB cup. Would prefer to see him forward ATM. Murphy can take Croad place down back and Three tall up forward would be a handfull. All three are IMO athletic enough to let this work.

But first priority is for the lad to get super fit. tick this box and i think everything else will fall into place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Thorp continue to be groomed as a CHB with the additions of Schoey and Lisle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back