jaydenrussell

Senior List
Jan 3, 2005
noble park owww
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
if the afl premiership season was to include one wizard cup rule what would you want.For me kicking in straight away after a behind is scored is a good rule cos it keeps the game going.

The kicking backwards rule is one I like.

Getting the umpires to judge a backwards kick consistently would be a problem since they aren't necessarily side on to the play. But as long as they only called the obvious backward kick play on, I think it would help stop teams kill junk time.

taking the boundary throw in 10 metres in is a good idea , would help stop players forcing it straight back out if they are defending a lead .

maybe the backward kick rule could be applied in the final 10 minutes of the last quarter. to stop players winding down the clock ..which i hate ! (unless it's my team doing it :eek: )

i would also like them to go back to the old rule of no using your hands to push an opponent out of a marking contest .
in the old days if you placed your hands in the back of an opponent you would be penalised now they all do it and get away with it !

I'd say kicking in after a behind straight away but only mainly because all of the other options are IMO stupid rules. The kicking behind rule is stupid. Sure it's great when it stops time wasting but you'll find even when attacking near the 50 teams like to go backwards and this would stop that. Also when rebounding a player may wish to pass backwards to a player on the other side of the ground and that marking player will draw the nearest player as a marker and release space for a player on the wing for a quick switch play.
I don't think time wasting is that big a deal. Teams hardly do it when the game is too close as it is too dangerous if the other team mans up slightly. Also I think you will find this rule will slow down the game more and cause more flooding and congestion as there would be no need for teams to really man up players behind the ball when the other team is holding the ball up.

So with this rule you will get rid of the time wasting/holding up the ball problem however teams will find more ways to waste time. Flooding will be the major way to waste time and save games.

Good points jabso and you've probably changed my thinking.

Rather than introduce the kicking backwards rule, maybe we could just teach players to man up. One of my pet hates, is when a team is time wasting, a player goes and takes the mark of the player kicking. If all players run to man up or fill space, the player with the ball will ultimately have to play on. Not having a man on the mark places extra decision making on the guy with the ball.

The only two rules that aren't completely crap out of that lot are the immediate kick-in from a behind and the throw in 10m from the boundary. If I never see any of those other ridiculous rules in action ever again I would be quite pleased.

JeffDunne said:
Good points jabso and you've probably changed my thinking.

Rather than introduce the kicking backwards rule, maybe we could just teach players to man up. One of my pet hates, is when a team is time wasting, a player goes and takes the mark of the player kicking. If all players run to man up or fill space, the player with the ball will ultimately have to play on. Not having a man on the mark places extra decision making on the guy with the ball.
Yeah good point!

i think teams that kick the ball back and forth to each other to waste time.. and im not going to name any teams (Essendon) but i think that if they are doing that it should just be called play on!...

I actually would like to see the AFL settle for a few seasons without any rule changes whatsoever.

This is not because I don't think things can be improved, but because I fear the consistency of the umpiring will/may suffer as a result.

The umpires have been providing more confusion to supporters and players in recent seasons and I think they would benefit by being involved LESS in the plays than by additing MORE influence over what they need to call.

Even if the call was an "obvious" one (like kicking backwards), it still brings the umpire into the game.

And for those who think I am umpire bashing, I think that the umpires themselves are NOT helped by constantly changing rules. They rarely get a chance to keep a set contingent of rules that they can then develop consistency with.

Leave the game rules alone for a couple of years and let the umpires have the chance to "get it right"!

TB

Two-Bobby said:
I actually would like to see the AFL settle for a few seasons without any rule changes whatsoever.

This is not because I don't think things can be improved, but because I fear the consistency of the umpiring will/may suffer as a result.

The umpires have been providing more confusion to supporters and players in recent seasons and I think they would benefit by being involved LESS in the plays than by additing MORE influence over what they need to call.

Even if the call was an "obvious" one (like kicking backwards), it still brings the umpire into the game.

And for those who think I am umpire bashing, I think that the umpires themselves are NOT helped by constantly changing rules. They rarely get a chance to keep a set contingent of rules that they can then develop consistency with.

Leave the game rules alone for a couple of years and let the umpires have the chance to "get it right"!

TB
your right these show ponys we call "umpires" (and i use the word loosely) have enough trouble learning and interpreting the basic rules that have been around for a hundred years, without adding even more rules for their simple brains to comprehend

and yes i know we can't have a game without the umpires but can't these morons be educated so as to get a better standard of umpiring...or is this too much to ask ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play on when ball is kicked backwards.

It is unfair to the other teams to play keepings off.

RYZA! said:
Play on when ball is kicked backwards.

It is unfair to the other teams to play keepings off.
Why is it unfair? Every team sport with time limits have ways of time wasting or as they call in gridiron/basketball "clock management". In soccer they play ultra defensivley, they take longer to throw the ball in etc. In american football there is taking a knee and doing short rush plays to keep the time ticking. In basketball they use up the shot clock. There are plenty of strategies to use to counter short kicking like not going on the mark and manning up. If you introduce this rule new strategies will come in to play like congesting the throw ins and forcing a throw in, rushing behinds when 12 points or so up (for example the player kicks in to himself and waits until the nearest player goes to tackle him and then rushes it in, wasting more time).

This is just a storm in a tea cup. However it isn't as bad as the overreaction towards flooding.

blues4flag said:
Kick in straight away after a behind. I don't like the kicking backwards rule, unless if it is only effective in the last part of the 4th quarter.
how can you like it.... its just not football... :(

I would say kick in staright away after a behind is the best one.

And also I like it how the boundary umpire comes in 10 metres, you always see the ruckman running in to get the ball because ther boundary umpire throws it too high, but not far enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

wizard cup rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back