women to play in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

How is this story even newsworthy? I did watch the story or program as I don't want to listen to people talk dribble. I see from the ads that they were using Jeff Kennett to advocate it, so that should tell us enough.

Professional sports Women do not have the combination of explosive speed, agility, power, strength that sportsmen do and that is why they do not compete against each other in professional sport.

A woman can have as much skill as a man in any sport. For example, a woman can have as good a kicking technique as any male, but due to the physical aspects mentioned above that is why they could not compete.

Still cannot believe this story was so heavily advertised.

If women can't make it to the top level in relatively non-contact sports like soccer and basketball then there's no chance of them making it in heavy contact sports like AFL, rugby, gridiron etc.

The only professional sports that women might have a chance of making it into the top level men's leagues would be cricket and baseball.

10 pin bowling has men and women compete professionally i think. Can't think of anything else apart from horse and car sports.

The only way it could happen is if they cheated with gene therapy,steroids etc.

Think about it this way, how much better is the average AFL player compared to the average top level womens player ? The difference would be huge. So for 1 women to be so good they could bridge that gap they would have to be twice or 3 times better than every other women and that just doesn't happen in sports.

The year 2020

Ins: Smith, White
Outs: Murphy (period pain), Brown (omitted)
:thumbsu: I loled

As long as there are female footy players who are good enough (there arent any at the moment), and can cope with the physical demands, then why not? Practically speaking, it will probably never happen though

Played a mixed game, tackling and all in p.e yr 12, was great fun, especially when the girls would try ducking out of tackles and have their shirts come up...

Guys couldnt tackle without fear.

Bad enough calling current players squibs, imagine a bloke backing out of a contest to a female?

A German mate once told me that one of the the Bundesliga U16 sides (I think it may have been Bremen?) defeated the full female German national team in a match. I think the women were world champions at the time too.

There's a big enough need for technique and skill in Soccer to curb the physical advantages the boys may have had over the women too.

Julia Gillard could fill the void left by Barry Hall in the Dogs forward line now that he is retiring, after all there was more chance of this happening that her becoming PM.

When you take out the Dustin Martin/Daniel Rich man-childs, the elite runners are all twigs with big legs and modest upperbodies.

High-school girls don't hit the weights but the prospective sportswomen do.

your kidding your self mate. go watch a game of 18's there is absolutely no chance a girl could be running around out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No women would be any where close to AFL leval. Has any of you actually seen womans football? This is the stupist thing i have ever heard

To make afl as a male you are usually the best at your club, personally through juniors playing with current afl players in my years i can tell you all the afl players i played with all dominated the junior clubs. In under 12's we had a girl in our team who now is in the state girls team i can tell you she was horrible compared to EVERY bloke in the team by a mile (1 which made afl). Thats the fairest comparison i can see.

but yes if there was a girl good enough by all means let them play

They would become impregnated just by being on the same field as Leigh Brown.

Seriously though, even one solid bump from a guy like Dick could cause problems.

3t4j.jpg

I don't care whether there is or comes a time that a woman is good enough to play at an afl level ... Why can't it be as simple as that it is a male bastion and should remain that way. Not everything has to be about equality.

Didn't see the story but can comment on personal experience as a girl.

Played a couple of games as a kid and was better than 98% of guys I played with (have an older brother who I played hours of
Cricket, footy etc with).

Then a few years ago I decided to joins a women's team. And while I was still a very good player, I was afraid for my life! All the girls were butch and I thought I was going to get snapped in half if I went for a hard ball. No way would any female be able to commit to contests etc against men.

Personally don't see it happening. Even thinking about being shirt fronted is making me want to cry out in pain...

It simply won't happen.

For a woman to be selected "on merit" she would have to have the aerobic ability and muscle mass as well as skill level to compete. A woman's biological makeup, except in very extreme biologically rare cases, cannot have muscle mass AND aerobic capability anywhere near the levels required of an AFL player - simply she would have to be a freak with testosterone/oestrogen levels that would cause testing anomalies in any drug tested sport, and biological sex identification issues anyway.

We all know that aerobic training kills muscle mass. Males cope to a certain degree only because of the natural testosterone levels. In all sports training muscle mass building (increases) occurs at different timing to aerobic optimisation because aerobic improvement kills the mass - can't do both at the same time, except marginally.

In reality quite a lot of athletes in various sports that require muscle and aerobic capacity use steroids during offseason (hoping that there is no testing of them during the "residual identification period" - only fools believe otherwise) to build the mass. Very simplistically, it is possible to maintain a certain amount of that extra mass, without continued steroid use, by pushing similar weights to the building phase, though always some mass gets lost through the aerobic improvement stage.

There is absolutely no way a woman could maintain the minimum muscle mass required as well as the aerobic capacity through a season, except possibly in the "freak - sex unidentifiable" cases because "she" won't produce enough testosterone to simply maintain any useful proportion of it - unless they are given complete free licence on using steroids or a serious testosterone boosting program.

So what are these people thinking when they are making these stupid statements? Are they condoning the free licence to use steroids/testosterone boosting by women so that AFL can have women players? That is the reality of what it would take for a woman to be able to compete "on-merit".

Remove this Banner Ad

women to play in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back