Womens Logo Announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this supposed to be a stand alone logo? It seems like a basic failure in the basics of logo design, as I don't know of any sporting league that doesn't put the whole name/letters of the league into the logo. Some might have a few options with graphics only (e.g. MLB), but there has to be one with the actual name of the league spelled out clearly. Put this goalpost W thing on a blank slate, and you would have zero idea what it was actually representing.

Spoiler: Its shit!

What do you guys think? Could the AFL think of a more bland way to market this comp? first the yawntastic name now this crap.

AFLW_620.jpg
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this supposed to be a stand alone logo? It seems like a basic failure in the basics of logo design, as I don't know of any sporting league that doesn't put the whole name/letters of the league into the logo. Some might have a few options with graphics only (e.g. MLB), but there has to be one with the actual name of the league spelled out clearly. Put this goalpost W thing on a blank slate, and you would have zero idea what it was actually representing.
But, but, the marketing spiel is so good. :D

Not your fault, like the Hawthorn guernsey it's hard to come up with something good when what you have to start with is shit (and piss)
I was only mucking around.
I actually don't mind the concept of incorporating a set of goal posts into a 'W', it's the execution that's lacking. A few points that bother me:
1. To me it wasn't instantly recognisable as a set of goal posts.
2. Without a point of reference on a 2D image, once I discovered it was goals posts, my brain tried to process it as view point from underground looking up (like the spinning girl silhouette).
3. It's not instantly recognisable as a footy league logo.
4. Why orange? Seems an odd choice that doesn't lend itself to football or any gender (although I'm assuming they deliberately steered clear of pink).
5. It's a little TOO basic. That can sometimes be good, but not in this instance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Womens Logo Announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back