SKOULIKI

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Burwood
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL
Every sport analyst and footy fan is saying we are certain to win the spoon.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

I certainly think that under TW in 2009 the players were not playing for him and we did have our best midfielders out for most of the season. (except Del)

I believe, if we have a bit of luck with injuries, we wont finish last.

I reckon Tambo, Del, cotch, foley, cuz, jackson, edwards, and white wil do the job in midfield. Our defence will be back to 2008 form. The only concern is up forward. We need someone to help Reitwolt and Morton. I think Post can do the job, even if some think he is groomed for a CHB position.

Add vickery, simmonds, rance and angus. Ohh yeah don't forget No.3 draft Martin!

IMO there's some reasonably talented kids out there, and if they can get on a bit of a role and play with a bit of confidence they might be able to upset a few teams along the way. plus i think a few players may improve now that they're out from under TW too

i know it's going to be a bit of a (ugh) rebuilding year, and we might not win a whole heap of games, but i would be very surprised if we finished on the bottom.

I think it will be a very tough year ahead. 7 wins would be an excellent return, however I predict about 3-4 wins, if that. Having said that, I really think the correct playing foundations are finally being laid in which we will start to see results in about 3 years time.

As for the wooden spoon, justifiably we are the hot favourites.

No spoon for us. We'll be a lot better than the mindless goons in the media and the clueless fans that swallow their BS think we will be. Unless there are serious injury woes, we'll be in the 9th-12th range.

With the highest turn over of our list in many years and the retirement/delisting of mature players I think we should be favourites for the spoon. This year for me is about seeing which of our kids develop and stand up to the challenge and not so much about wins or ladder position.

It's a reasonable expectation for us to finish last. We have lost a lot of class and experience with the loss of Richo, Brown, Bowden, Johnson & Cogs. We will be playing a lot of inexperienced kids and the emphasis will be on development rather than results.

On that basis it is hard to see us improving much on last year. Yes we have some promising kids but they are a long way from reaching their full potential. Unfortunately, there is more pain to come...

It's more than possible. It depends how well the new players fit in, and how fast our existing youngsters improve. I'd be tipping about 6/7 wins for next year, which could very well slot us into last place when there is no point tanking.

Port, Melbourne and Essendon are our only real competitors for the spoon.

No spoon for us. We'll be a lot better than the mindless goons in the media and the clueless fans that swallow their BS think we will be. Unless there are serious injury woes, we'll be in the 9th-12th range.

Yep, about 12th on the ladder for mine (or 9th just for the romance:eek:).

It's a reasonable expectation for us to finish last. We have lost a lot of class and experience with the loss of Richo, Brown, Bowden, Johnson & Cogs.

Brown and Bowden were the only guys from that list who played more than a few games and neither was at their best. The majority of our best 22 are still improving and Hardwick has them working hard. We'll be better than last year.

It's more than possible. It depends how well the new players fit in, and how fast our existing youngsters improve. I'd be tipping about 6/7 wins for next year, which could very well slot us into last place when there is no point tanking.

Port, Melbourne and Essendon are our only real competitors for the spoon.

i'd throw the dockers into that mix as well, and possibly the swans.

It was pretty obvious that Terry had lost the players, are we sriously believing that we are as bad as some pundits make us out to be?

We ahve a very talented group of kids and with a proper game plan i reckon we will surprise a lot of people.

Last season the players had no guidance....no target and NFI and that came from the coaching staff.

I see on the training thread that the new broom is actually instilling a game plan into them.

Finals maybe not, but spoon definitely not

and BTW we have Andy Collins

Every sport analyst and footy fan is saying we are a certain to win the spoon.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

my quick retort to any silly looking **** that wishes to make a long range forecast on the tigers fortunes is to point them to where those same experts tipped us to finish last year...All I'm prepared to say is I'm convinced we will improve on 2009:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'd throw the dockers into that mix as well, and possibly the swans.

With the Dockers anything is possible, but I can't really see any areas where they shouldn't improve. They brought in a huge collection of youth in the 2008 draft and they should start reaping the rewards soon (though I can't see it pushing them into genuine premiership contention alone).

Sydney I think will probably hover just in or just out of the eight. Their end of season form was quite good, and the natural improvement of their youngsters plus their excellent trading should see them stay competitive at the least.

we probably woulnd't get the spoon, but if we did, so be it. doesn't really matter. it would mean we get pick 4 in the national draft, giving us a chance to pick up another top kid.

With the Dockers anything is possible, but I can't really see any areas where they shouldn't improve. They brought in a huge collection of youth in the 2008 draft and they should start reaping the rewards soon (though I can't see it pushing them into genuine premiership contention alone).

Sydney I think will probably hover just in or just out of the eight. Their end of season form was quite good, and the natural improvement of their youngsters plus their excellent trading should see them stay competitive at the least.
Very tough for non-Vic clubs to 'win' the spoon when many games are won at their home-ground fortresses. I expect the Dockers to improve too, but their buffoon coach needs to go to reap the true rewards.

I hate to say it but if we don't finish last we arn't going to finish much higher, damian is going to be a good coach but it's gonna take time i think, with any luck i'll hope i'm wrong

There's a big chance we'll end the season last and I'm prepared for that. Although I think there's not much that separates us, North, Melbourne, Port and Freo so if we get lucky (injuries, blokes maturing quicker than thought etc) I guess there's a chance we'll finish 12th or 13th, but any higher than that and I'd say you're dreaming.

or conversely, they travel interstate every other week
And because they travel every other week, most of them have learnt to win away from home. Adelaide play Etihad Stadium as well as any team in the comp now.

It was pretty obvious that Terry had lost the players, are we sriously believing that we are as bad as some pundits make us out to be?

Exactly. And after all, it was this time last year the "experts" were tipping us to make the 8. Getting rid of some deadwood and having a spirited new coach to put the roar back in our young guns will see us around 11-9

We wont win the spoon, nor will be surge to ninth. I think we will be around the 12th-14th mark. We dont have the experienced players and have cut too much of the list to finish too high. You cant expect everyone to gel together like that. As for finishing last it wont happen, we have too much talent (i.e. Deledio, Thursfield, McGuane, Newman, Tambling, Foley, etc.) who are entering their peak at 23-25 years old.

Teams like Melbourne, Sydney, Kangaroos and maybe: Essendon/Freo we can finish above. Melbourne lack an older core of players which we have to prop them up the ladder and will probably see Bailey sacked next year, same with Sydney and Freo to an extent. The Kangaroos and Essendon will most likely finish above us because they seem to refuse to properly rebuild and keep experienced players. Sydney fall into this category too and are 50/50 as to whether they are above us.

As for the long term Freo, Melbourne, and maybe Essendon are set for the future to have success. Kangaroos, Sydney, and maybe Essendon are screwed for the future and dont have near enough youngsters to launch a proper flag tilt. Compare our list of 24 and unders to theirs and you will see a vast reason why in 2-3 years we will have them covered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooden Spoon - Tigers 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back