Woodville - Team of the Century (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

i konw 'Sharp Shootin' Garth Newton plays cricket at woodville south can hit a long ball won the B grade association batting this season just gone!

It is indeed ,yes its me who sat in the fwd pocket for many many years in front of pecker hill ...drop me a line and say hello,paul.gsfixit@bigpond.com

Check these names out all you old WFC legends
Ron Page from south melbourne ,think he was the whale of albert park
Ray Buckley
Paul Welsh
Ian Rainbird best thing since apples
Mark Tonkin
Carl Vesty swap from footscray for huppatz ..oh my god ha ha
ken deards
ian bradmore

any comments guys LOL

Check these names out all you old WFC legends
Ian Rainbird best thing since apples
any comments guys LOL

Will no doubt comment on some of those other champs/chumps later but must mention a few things about the " great " Ian Rainbird. Nickname: DROPS-: a shortening of raindrops! Like your Tasmanian comment, he hailed from the Apple Isle, from memory I reckon he was recruited from New Norfolk.

Who can forget that famous off-field altercation with Port & State HBF- Tony Giles...Supposedly they were mates!! What the...." Drops " played at Oval Avenue between 1979-81 starring in 33 Games and kicked 4 Goals in superb style! He was a hard-hitting ( to say the least..) HBF mainly but think he had the odd " sorty " on a HFF.

Anyhow pjlc( Porky) we salute you matey! You were a much loved character of Oval Avenue and " darling " of all us Woody devotees perched on Pecker Hill! Know that you had green and gold blood flowing through your veins!! Methinks you followed " Reidy " down to Noarlunga, if memory serves me right! Cheers, TBW.

P.S. We need to discuss " Manse " much LOL- the one and only Kenny Mansfield! Another Legend of Pecker Park...

Will no doubt comment on some of those other champs/chumps later but must mention a few things about the " great " Ian Rainbird. Nickname: DROPS-: a shortening of raindrops! Like your Tasmanian comment, he hailed from the Apple Isle, from memory I reckon he was recruited from New Norfolk.

Who can forget that famous off-field altercation with Port & State HBF- Tony Giles...Supposedly they were mates!! What the...." Drops " played at Oval Avenue between 1979-81 starring in 33 Games and kicked 4 Goals in superb style! He was a hard-hitting ( to say the least..) HBF mainly but think he had the odd " sorty " on a HFF.

Anyhow pjlc( Porky) we salute you matey! You were a much loved character of Oval Avenue and " darling " of all us Woody devotees perched on Pecker Hill! Know that you had green and gold blood flowing through your veins!! Methinks you followed " Reidy " down to Noarlunga, if memory serves me right! Cheers, TBW.

P.S. We need to discuss " Manse " much LOL- the one and only Kenny Mansfield! Another Legend of Pecker Park...

TBW drop me an email paul.gsfixit@bigpond.com say hello.......DROPS god i choked on my weekbix this morning..dont know if you rated him or not but i didnt LOL ...Kenny Mansfield what a legend great bloke funny as ...had a real crack for us would have been better in a good side with better players around him.
I would love to have a go at reforming WFC i have spoken to loads of WFC people who dont go to the footy.I went there two years ago to watch my son he played at the bay,ran into JC i walked inside the club and walked out i couldnt do it .Who wants to see Bob Gibson or Freddy Bills on the wall at Oval Ave.A good mate of mine chesty shane reardon is involved and has asked me back lots but i say no ,there is blue in the jumper ...I feel if a group of us got serious we could create a ground swell .What do you think ??? PC

pjlc also bowed magnificent darts at Pecker Park and St Clair. They don't come any more hardcore Woodville.

And now to celebrate you hitting this board, one of your "favourites"....

is.php

Ron Page - dodgy as.

Ray Buckley - 100 games in 10 years.

Paul Welsh - very bad.

Ian Rainbird - was in Hobart a couple of weekends back and noticed a Rainbird in the best players in one of their State League clubs. Could be a son?

Mark Tonkin - got me there.

Carl Vesty - ooh yeah. :rolleyes:

Ken Deards - premiership player in WA. Ability must have fallen out somewhere on the Nullabor. And he was a swap for Peter Meuret!

Ian Bradmore - poster boy for the club's lowest ebb.

Mark Tonkin - got me there.

Ian Bradmore - poster boy for the club's lowest ebb.

Cheers fellas, methinks it is Bruce rather than Mark...Former South Melbourne U19s and Ressies player Bruce Tonkin " weaved his magic" over Pecker Park during seasons 1980 and 1981. In this time he played 22 Games and kicked 10 majors. " Tonkers" played a mixture of games on a HFF and HBF from memory..

" Braddy " Bradmore, incredibly had been a member of one if not two Port Adelaide Premiership Teams prior to joining us in 1982. In his only season at Oval Avenue he played 3 Games and kicked 1 Goal, but weren't they 3 of the greatest games ever played...Much LOL!! At the start of 1983 when Blighty was trimming our playing list, I believe " Braddy " reminded him of his status as a former Port Premiership Player!

The story goes that Bradmore was told to keep walking out of Woodville Oval. Past " glories " counted for nothing with Blighty...

Here's some more 1982 Pecker debutants for comment: Eddie Bencic, Kym Bickley, Ugo Colosante, Geoff Eason, David Guest, Paul Harradine, Greg Hutton, Doug Koop, Mark Krzeminski, Bruce Lancaster, Brett Mackereth, Michael Murray, Dean Pangrazio, John Parker and Don Welch. Opinions on this " motley " assortment....

P.S. Will e-mail you soon pjlc. Cheers, TBW.

The story goes that Bradmore was told to keep walking out of Woodville Oval. Past " glories " counted for nothing with Blighty...

Here's some more 1982 Pecker debutants for comment: Eddie Bencic, Kym Bickley, Ugo Colosante, Geoff Eason, David Guest, Paul Harradine, Greg Hutton, Doug Koop, Mark Krzeminski, Bruce Lancaster, Brett Mackereth, Michael Murray, Dean Pangrazio, John Parker and Don Welch. Opinions on this " motley " assortment....

P.S. Will e-mail you soon pjlc. Cheers, TBW.

I played footy at the same Southern Footy League club as Paul Harradine in the late 80's early 90's. He liked the ladies, wore his shorts impossibly tight and booted many massive goals for us with that incredible torp. Seriously, I don't think I've seen any one before or since who could consistently roost it 60 - 70m like he did.

Hey fellow Peckers and Warriors,was reading an old budget article from a "mere" 40 years ago and thought I would share it with you...it really painted a picture....From Footy Budget 16/8/69..Page 14 ( to be precise..)

" Solo runs by Woodville players Malcolm Blight and Ray Huppatz in the second quarter at Adelaide Oval, had mixed results. Blight weaved his way down the eastern side during which he had four bounces. Then he shot a low left-foot kick into the goalsquare where Colin MacVicar marked and posted his first and Woodville's eigth goal.

Soon afterwards rover Huppatz broke away from centre and had one bounce. As South players were in the way of a direct run to goal he headed for the south-western pocket. He had two more bounces- and eventually the ball was lost.

Huppatz is a good ball getter and a courageous player but at times he tends to try to do too much. His two goals, however, in the first quarter were real gems.

Blight, too, kicked a great 60-yard left-foot goal in the third quarter after he had had one bounce soon after he gained possession just forward of centre.

Both Huppatz and Blight kicked three goals."

Great tales of some of the heroics performed by " Scatcher" Blight and " Tamba/Mighty Mouse " Huppatz. For the record the game written about was on August 9, 1969. The Mighty Peckers 19.16 130 pulverised The Panthers 15 13 103. Happy to say we played South three times in '69 ( A very good year..LOL) and beat them on all three occasions...yeeha!!

Dont know if I can be bothered reading through all of part one. But I heard the other day that Blighty was almost ousted from his coaching position by the players when he was coaching. Is this common knowledge?

I don't know alot about Woodville history, other then the fact I have hundreds of articles that my family has kept.:thumbsu:

Cheers, South Australia I believe you might be referring to a players only meeting held in 1986 midway through the season. After this meeting I was under the impression, the players took it upon themselves " to improve their performances " so to speak. It had the desired effect as we began to string some wins together and began our finals drive!

Not sure about Blighty being ousted, but you might be on to something there! Leave it to me, I will try and do some detective work.... kind of like Cold Case...LOL.

Hi all Peckers, Warriors and other readers...

Believe it or not there is (almost secretive).... acknowledgement of Woodville's 50th birthday this weekend at Pecker Park!! For those who may not have spotted it there is a full page article in today's 'Tiser on P.68.(26/6). There will be a luncheon at the upstairs room of the Oval Avenue clubrooms for this Sunday 28/6 during the Weagles vs Glenelg match, honouring the players from The Mighty Peckers first ever Seconds team in 1959.

Apparently, twelve of these Pioneering Peckers will be in attendance! The article by Warren Partland is an enjoyable read and is based on his dicussion with legendary Pecker administrator and former 1959-60 Seconds Vice-Captain: David Trembath. It names a " 50 Years of Woodville " Best of team. I will post this at a latter stage, it will create much discussion methinks!!

Didn't know until this morning that these old Peckers were being honoured!! I don't beleve that they are wearing a Woody heritage jumper worst luck!! Sadly, not much notice for us old Peckers to journey over to Oval Avenue, but should we attend Pecker " clobber " should be worn... 1959 Peckers- We Salute you!! Cheers, T.B.W.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw a team picked in the Tiser last week to commemorate Woodville's 50th anniversary. Was a bit surprised Colin McDonald didn't make the squad.

Saw a team picked in the Tiser last week to commemorate Woodville's 50th anniversary. Was a bit surprised Colin McDonald didn't make the squad.

By popular demand here is the: 50 YEARS OF WOODVILLE: BEST OF THEM ALL TEAM- Which was published in The 'Tiser Fri. 26/6/09. It is with Games played with Woodville only in brackets:

F Kevin Harris ( 147) Stephen Nichols ( 79) Colin MacVicar (186)

HF John Cummins (174) John Klug ( 53) Ralph Sewer (325)

C Phil Maylin (109) Bob Simunsen (145) Rodney Allen (200)

HB Peter Schwarz (183) Andrew Rogers ( 63) Ian Dettmann (200)

B Lindsay Heaven (227) Max Parker (284) Eddie Holland (118)

Ruck Craig McKellar (74) Malcolm Blight (163) Ray Huppatz (142)

Interchange Richard Champion (79) Barry Tyrrell (174) Ron Fuller (196)
Romano Negri (75) John Roberts (120) Noel Teasdale (47) Frank Stemper (151)

What a team!! Methinks there will be some selections that might raise some eyebrows and then of course non-selections ( Colin McDonald) as mentioned by Ebert80...Sadly for Fatty L. no: Jimmy Brenton, Johnny O' Connor or Brian " Needles " Winstanley..what the.. Then what about Ronnie Page, " Chook " Fowles or Gus Carlaw much LOL!

Let the comments begin.....

Surprised they couldn't squeeze John Girardi on to the interchange bench.

Could almost do a " Best of the rest" team!! Candidates such as: Allen " Wierd Al " Jakovich, Billy Ruth, Andrew Taylor, Colin McDonald, Alex Lunn, Johnny Martin, Michael Templeton to name but a few....

Speaking of " Wierd Al" Jakovich, I have it on good authority that this chap has never been seen at the club or by anyone associated with it, since finishing his playing days at Oval Avenue in 1990... Certainly finished his career at Woodville on a very high note, kicking 13 Goals and bringing up 100 Goals for the '90 Season in Rd. 20 that year! Had Ralphy Sewer to thank for that, " Zip Zap " was instrumental in setting up about 10 of those goals on the day. ( No exaggeration...) As stated on the magnificent Legends of Woodville site he was last heard of working on a fishing trawler!

The past player I was speaking with verified that was the last he had heard of him too...Does anyone have any idea of his current whereabouts?? Maybe returned to Perth? Where is " Wierd Al "/ " Hogavich "??

Could almost do a " Best of the rest" team!! Candidates such as: Allen " Wierd Al " Jakovich, Billy Ruth, Andrew Taylor, Colin McDonald, Alex Lunn, Johnny Martin, Michael Templeton to name but a few....

Speaking of " Wierd Al" Jakovich, I have it on good authority that this chap has never been seen at the club or by anyone associated with it, since finishing his playing days at Oval Avenue in 1990... Certainly finished his career at Woodville on a very high note, kicking 13 Goals and bringing up 100 Goals for the '90 Season in Rd. 20 that year! Had Ralphy Sewer to thank for that, " Zip Zap " was instrumental in setting up about 10 of those goals on the day. ( No exaggeration...) As stated on the magnificent Legends of Woodville site he was last heard of working on a fishing trawler!

The past player I was speaking with verified that was the last he had heard of him too...Does anyone have any idea of his current whereabouts?? Maybe returned to Perth? Where is " Wierd Al "/ " Hogavich "??

I heard a story several years ago - I'm not sure of its veracity - but hell we're all anonymous here, libel laws can't touch us....can they?

Anyway, the story I heard was that Weird Al disappeared to the far north west coast of WA and was working on a fishing boat. He was supposedly "on the lam" from some shady types in Melbourne who were interested in his whereabouts.

A good story, and I never like to let facts deter me from the telling!

I want to talk about Max Parker.

5 VFL games for Footscray in 1971 for 4 wins then a loss in the last one, totalling 6 goals. What a performance. With Gary Dempsey and Barry Round in the side, he never had a hope at the Western Oval.

Doggie teammates included Dave Darcy (father of Luke and magnificent Channel 9 commentator) and Bernie Quinlan.

A colossus who would have been a megastar at a "power" SANFL club.

I remember him kicking 8 goals in a half against Port one day. Port swapped full backs on him after half time and he finished with 9.

Didn't Russell Ebert squeeze him out of Woodville with his one size fits all pre-season training program, and Max wound up at North?

Does anyone know how many years Parker played at North? If he did leave when Ebert got there in 88, presumably it was only one year because i think Max had already gone to play country footy (with Jervois in the River Murray League) by 89 (with a couple of other ex Woodville players John Roberts and Sean Jackson).

That was Phil Smith - 1974 at Alberton. The Peckers were 45 points up at half time and lost by 21. :(

At least I had the right team. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Woodville - Team of the Century (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back