Working from home, good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

And that's why NSW is doing this (imo)
its why all the return to office stuff has happened globally
so much money is tied up in those office buildings alone let alone the money made off people going into CBDs for work

none of the people that invested in that model wanted to see a change that threatened their wealth

I’d love to know the stats on coffee shops cashflow pre, during and post Covid.
pretty sure that local cafes went up and CBD cafes went down
maybe not in a 1:1 way but people put a lot more money into local

these days it would be tough everywhere I reckon given cost of living having people not spending

used to spend $15+ a day on coffees at work in the cbd.

during covid i used to spend $10 a day at suburban coffee shop.

bought a home machine this year. now probably buy two cafe coffees a week.

a lot of cafes would be doing it tough.

used to spend $15+ a day on coffees at work in the cbd.

during covid i used to spend $10 a day at suburban coffee shop.

bought a home machine this year. now probably buy two cafe coffees a week.

a lot of cafes would be doing it tough.
Yep - I head to site 2-3 days a week and buy 2 coffees typically on those days.

Buy 1 coffee when I work from home from a local cafe.

And that's why NSW is doing this (imo)

that and NSW just spent billions on the Metro.

That want people using it to start paying it off.

its why all the return to office stuff has happened globally
so much money is tied up in those office buildings alone let alone the money made off people going into CBDs for work

none of the people that invested in that model wanted to see a change that threatened their wealth

of course?

Forever in a day economies were built around people commuting into the office. Turning that off instantly obviously has massive financial impacts to many businesses.

NSW GOV just spent billions of tax player money on the metro. They need people using it to be able to pay it off.

Reality is that flexibility is here to stay, but as the economy slows, more and more people will be forced back into offices more often as power is handed back to employers.

Last edited:
Saw the NSW Gov announcement.

Uproar incoming I think.

I am all for flexibility, but i also am all for employers running their business how they want to run their business.

If employees dont like it. Go find an employer who offers you want you want, it's pretty simple IMO.

For years during COVID employees had the power to demand what they want due to a tight labor market, that is now changing where power is shifting back to the employer as the economy slows and unemployment is increasing. I think flexibility is here to stay generally, but i reckon over the next 6-12 months a lot more people will be forced back to offices more often. I think the 5 day WFH, whilst will still exist for some, will dwindle down across the board.

I have definitely noticed that in Sydney, the commutes on Tues, Wed & Thurs are getting way busier. Monday is picking up also but Friday still relatively quiet comparatively.

Last edited:
I am all for flexibility, but i also am all for employers running their business how they want to run their business.

If employees dont like it. Go find an employer who offers you want you want, it's pretty simple IMO.

For years during COVID employees had the power to demand what they want due to a tight labor market, that is now changing where power is shifting back to the employer as the economy slows and unemployment is increasing. I think flexibility is here to stay generally, but i reckon over the next 6-12 months a lot more people will be forced back to offices more often.

I have definitely noticed that in Sydney, the commutes on Tues, Wed & Thurs are getting way busier. Monday is picking up but Friday still relatively quiet comparatively
The issue is the system is rigged so employers almost always have the power

There is very little downside in allowing your people to WFH. You'd actually save money on office space so unless there are evidence based decisions for forcing people back FT it's just dumb. I hope these businesses fail tbh

There's a coffee shop on every corner in the CBD, it's needless. If a few close down, go do something else. Most are franchise names anyway

People supporting commercial RE property owners interests over their own are dumber than management needlessly bringing everyone back to the CBD FT

The issue is the system is rigged so employers almost always have the power

There is very little downside in allowing your people to WFH. You'd actually save money on office space so unless there are evidence based decisions for forcing people back FT it's just dumb. I hope these businesses fail tbh

There's a coffee shop on every corner in the CBD, it's needless. If a few close down, go do something else. Most are franchise names anyway

People supporting commercial RE property owners interests over their own are dumber than management needlessly bringing everyone back to the CBD FT

Not really rigged, it's just called capitalism. You also have a choice who you work for. If you think you can getter pay elsewhere you leave to get it. No different to WFH, if you dont like current arrangements find someone who offers it.

Anyways I still think it's up to them, plenty of business believe that people working together in person is better for them, they have evidence to support it. You can disagree. But it's their call ultimately.

I doubt they will fail, many of them are still flexible they just dont want people WFH full time. I think that's pretty fair.

There will still be businesses that support full time WFH, i just think that will dwindle.

Last edited:
Not really rigged, it's just called capitalism. You also have a choice who you work for. If you think you can getter pay elsewhere you leave to get it. No different to WFH, if you dont like current arrangements find someone who offers it.

Anyways I still think it's up to them, plenty of business believe that people working together in person is better for them, they have evidence to support it. You can disagree. But it's their call ultimately.

I doubt they will fail, many of them are still flexible they just dont want people WFH full time. I think that's pretty fair.

There will still be businesses that support full time WFH, i just think that will dwindle.
I agree not WFH FT. 2/3 splits are perfect and keep everyone happy for the most part

Management who want FT office based are morons. There's zero evidence to suggest this is optimum for the business or the people other than 'do as I say' from archaic thinkers

I agree not WFH FT. 2/3 splits are perfect and keep everyone happy for the most part

Management who want FT office based are morons. There's zero evidence to suggest this is optimum for the business or the people other than 'do as I say' from archaic thinkers

People force change, if those business struggle to retain talent and suffer, they will change their ways or die.

Alot of people prefer to work full time in offices, there's not a set precedent that works for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spent years managing a statewide service. I couldn't physically work on site with all my staff as 40 people were spread across 23 sites

How on earth would these people who expect everyone in the office with them have managed that type of environment? Clearly incapable of planning anything outside of their eyeline

People force change, if those business struggle to retain talent and suffer, they will change their ways or die.

Alot of people prefer to work full time in offices, there's not a set precedent that works for everyone.
Hand on heart don't know anyone who prefers FT office over a hybrid working. Not one person. You're right there's no one size fits all, that's why you offer flexibility, not forcing everyone back full time lol

A cop mate says heaps of his colleagues are leaving into investigator type roles where, you guessed it, they can WFH

A cop obviously can't but yet again it shows how much people for the most part value it

Hand on heart don't know anyone who prefers FT office over a hybrid working. Not one person. You're right there's no one size fits all, that's why you offer flexibility, not forcing everyone back full time lol

A cop mate says heaps of his colleagues are leaving into investigator type roles where, you guessed it, they can WFH

A cop obviously can't but yet again it shows how much people for the most part value it

Depends on the industry, I think.

I work in Construction/Property Development.

Even though I'm offered the flexibility almost everyone i work with prefer face to face, if my daughter wasn't so young i would probably go back to full time office also, i do 4 days in, 1 day WFH. probably 75% of the team are in 5 days.

Think everyone is different, but i agree flexibility is the best way. Still, employers have the right to run their business how they want, just like employees have the right to leave and find a workplace that suits them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Working from home, good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back