whats the worlds biggest sporting event

• world cup soccer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • olympics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup by a country mile.

Over 20,000 Australians travelled to Germany for the world cup. There probably won't even be 20 Australians travelling to Beijing purely as spectators.

Mate if Australia got allocated more tickets, we would easily double the contigency. Easily... I dont think the Olympics would do the same.

The Olympics involve hundreds of events, thousands of athletes and almost every single country on Earth. The World Cup is a 32 nation soccer tournament.

No contest.

You do realise that what you see for the month is actually the World Cup Finals.
The World Cup is actually a (approx) 3 year event which has an exhaustive elimination process which culminates in the event that captivates the world for a month every 4 years.
I would be suprised if EVERY single country in the world did not participate in the World Cup at some level but if some are excluded for whatever reason if would only be very few.
Think before you post such dribble.

There were 194 countries that tried to qualify for the world cup 2006, and only 32 made it to Germany.

I can not not remember anybody getting up early in the morning to go watch the olympics in federation square and other public venues yet with the world cup this happens and in other places in the world.

The olympic football is limited to under 23s as the IOC do not want to have an open age competition as this would become the main attraction of the olympics.

Try more 30-40k Aussie fans and the Department of Immigration said that over 80 000 Australians travelled to germany during the time of the world cup.

Most matches at the world cup were also oversubscribed by an average of 20 times and some matches had oversubscribings of up to 40 times.

The Athens Olympics of 2004 was just full of empty stadiums.

World Cup is absolutely on top of it.

The Games by miles and miles and miles. Nothing mobilises and captivates the entire world like them. The Puff-ball doesn't come anywhere near close....

Except that the World Cup is the national sport of 99% of the world's population, and even Australia went insane this year when we were in it. Far more than any Olympics I can remember.

World Cup for me, by a long, long, way. Any event that has clay pigeon shooting or dressage as "sports" I can do without.

Remove this Banner Ad

world cup soccer vs olympics

Back