T. Kim
C. Conners
T. Olesen

STEVE PALMERS TIPS
C. Morikawa
T. Kim
S. Straka
Ben An
I get the patriotism TS, but Min Woo will implode on this course. Water in play on something like 10 holes. The unstable element will be missing fairways and rinsing balls.

I get the patriotism TS, but Min Woo will implode on this course. Water in play on something like 10 holes. The unstable element will be missing fairways and rinsing balls.
I know, but I just can't be not on him in a big tournament, this is a tough course but when the wind is zero, the last few years have been around the 14- par winning score which is surprising. Great weather for the tournament, around 28 degree's I read somewhere and with the best players in the world the winning score on this tough layout will be an interesting watch, for the GOLD MEDAL who is going to hold their nerve?

I know, but I just can't be not on him in a big tournament, this is a tough course but when the wind is zero, the last few years have been around the 14- par winning score which is surprising. Great weather for the tournament, around 28 degree's I read somewhere and with the best players in the world the winning score on this tough layout will be an interesting watch, for the GOLD MEDAL who is going to hold their nerve?
Reckon it'll be a ball strikers' delight - so the unimaginative picks are Scheffler, Schauffele, Morikawa, etc.

What if Rory delivers? Would make for a decent story.

A story of redemption after the US Open. That he chose Ireland instead of GB, etc etc.

We know you don't like the guy, so I guess you would call it a sad story.

Like his golf, he can seriously play. Would much prefer him to never speak though. Just reckon the story needs to start to be about the blokes who win like scotty and Xander, Roory needs to win some big events, been sometime now.

Reckon it'll be a ball strikers' delight - so the unimaginative picks are Scheffler, Schauffele, Morikawa, etc.

What if Rory delivers? Would make for a decent story.
Yes, that's my thinking, Rory, while playing okay in majors is a different person, the the no-fear kid with a killer instinct to a mature golfer who goes about his job in a no-fuss way seems "haunted" by the fact he can't win another major and that showed bigtime for the whole world to see, it was sad to see him lose that tournament as he had played so good and deserved to win but as other people will say deserve has got nothing to do with it.

My feeling is that because its not a major Rory can win this tournament, bit like the FED EX CUP on the PGA tour where in a big tournament Rory has played very good. This tournament I just don't like Tiger err Scottie Scheffler, he's brought his family over there and I just don't get the "vibe" that he is switched on, mind you it won't be the first time Scottie "has taken me out" but I'll take him on and see what happens.

Like most courses you must find the fairway and give yourself a chance on the greens, its probably double the importance if your going to hold that Gold medal around your neck on Sunday night! The two stories I can see are "Rory redeems himself by winning the gold medal and conquering the world" and "Up and coming star Ludvig Aberg destroys championship field to claim gold medal glory", in reality after writing this, it will probably be won by Ben An, Alex Noren or one of the lesser players, but will they succumb to the crazy pressure of Olympic glory?

Last edited:
Yes, that's my thinking, Rory, while playing okay in majors is a different person, the the no-fear kid with a killer instinct to a mature golfer who goes about his job in a no-fuss way seems "haunted" by the fact he can't win another major and that showed bigtime for the whole world to see, it was sad to see him lose that tournament as he had played so good and deserved to win but as other people will say deserve has got nothing to do with it.

My feeling is that because its not a major Rory can win this tournament, bit like the FED EX CUP on the PGA tour where in a big tournament Rory has played very good. This tournament I just don't like Tiger err Scottie Scheffler, he's brought his family over there and I just don't get the "vibe" that he is switched on, mind you it won't be the first time Scottie "has taken me out" but I'll take him on and see what happens.

Like most courses you must find the fairway and give yourself a chance on the greens, its probably double the importance if your going to hold that Gold medal around your neck on Sunday night! The two stories I can see are "Rory redeems himself by winning the gold medal and conquering the world" and "Up and coming star Ludvig Aberg destroys championship field to claim gold medal glory", in reality after writing this, it will probably be won by Ben An, Alex Noren or one of the lesser players, but will they succumb to the crazy pressure of Olympic glory.

what day does the golf start at the olympics? is it a std 4 day event?

Like his golf, he can seriously play. Would much prefer him to never speak though. Just reckon the story needs to start to be about the blokes who win like scotty and Xander, Roory needs to win some big events, been sometime now.
Do you recall him kerb stomping Xander to win the signature event at Wells Fargo? That was a decent win at a big event. Majors, yes, he needs a win. But they are hard to get!

Do you recall him kerb stomping Xander to win the signature event at Wells Fargo? That was a decent win at a big event. Majors, yes, he needs a win. But they are hard to get!

The majors are now the only big events. They can increase prize money and call it a signature event but if you don't have the all the worlds best players playing then they are not huge events.
Xander would be devastated don't you think? Rory had a good afternoon when it doesn't matter. 2 majors laters and Xander wouldn't even remember that arvo Rory had a good day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The majors are now the only big events. They can increase prize money and call it a signature event but if you don't have the all the worlds best players playing then they are not huge events.
Xander would be devastated don't you think? Rory had a good afternoon when it doesn't matter. 2 majors laters and Xander wouldn't even remember that arvo Rory had a good day.
Give it a rest. At the time, Xander was the one looking like he couldn't close out. If you want to be specific, then say Majors.

Give it a rest. At the time, Xander was the one looking like he couldn't close out. If you want to be specific, then say Majors.

Nothing to be specific about, the majors are the only events we get close to having all the best players play together. All other events are now just lead up events.

Yes to a degree that is true, but sometimes all you need at that level is a little bit of luck and Xander has shown he does have a world class game its just that some players do take time to win their first major, as sideswipe said they are not easy to win. Plus what I also think happened is a change of mindset and believing that at his best he could win that tournament {a major}, Hideki went through the exact same thing, but some players never win one even with the ability, its not enough, you've got to believe your the best, believe that when you play your best golf no one can touch you, golf like a lot of sports including footy can be so mental its not funny.

The intimidating factor can also come into it, I've heard people say that sought of thing finished with Tiger, well yes it did in a way with one man who lots of great players just knew they couldn't beat in that final round, Tiger was so good at that, that sometimes it looked liked he willed those putts in, and it didn't matter if their was three feet of break or six or seven feet of break, the opposing player in contention knew that Tiger would hole that putt, and in most cases he did. But in other cases when players have had a chance to win a major guys like Bryson, Brookes, Jordan, Rory early in his career and Dustin were intimidating to a smaller point because they were the top dogs at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf World Golf thread - Come for the golf. Stay for the gorse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back