NATION

Fiji

Niue

NR

NR

NR

NR

NR

Does anyone know when GB will be playing as england again?

© Rugby League International Federation

?World Rankings?

But Greece hasnt got a National team little alone a league :confused:

Only 10,000 play Rugby League in France and 250,000 play Union...France is ranked 5th:eek: Not very popular...

None of these countries has RL as there number 1 national sport, actually I'd say 80% of these countries mentioned dont have leagues;)

So my question is: How or Why are there World rankings when most these nations dont know about RL??

I agree that some of these teams are silly. French league is in their top 20 government rated sports. Your arguement that because RU has more players than league is just plain stupid. Reverse the role in Australia.
RL is the national code of PNG a country of 5.8 million, RU is the national sport in 2 countries, Wales and NZ combined poulation 7 million. Are you saying if you are not the number one sport in a country you can not be counted, as most countries would have 100 sports, alot would miss out. You must be a Victorian as you are use to AFL in winter and cricket in summer and nothing else third.

actually I'd say 80% of these countries mentioned dont have leagues

Wrong, 20% would equal about 8 countries, so here goes:

Australia
PNG
Tonga
Cook Islands
USA
France
Russia
Lebanon
England
Wales
etc

all have leagues

what they don't have is an Aussie Rules team.

Do some research before making rash stupid comments, wombat.

• Banned
?World Rankings?

But Greece hasnt got a National team little alone a league :confused:

Only 10,000 play Rugby League in France and 250,000 play Union...France is ranked 5th:eek: Not very popular...

None of these countries has RL as there number 1 national sport, actually I'd say 80% of these countries mentioned dont have leagues;)

So my question is: How or Why are there World rankings when most these nations dont know about RL??
:rolleyes: No one asked for your opinion! so why has this become issue to you ? are we bored , got nothing better to do ;) ? it don't matter what you think. The rankings stands as the RLIF has worked countless hours to come up with the list for the world rankings.You think they just come up with the list for the fun of it ?:rolleyes:

I agree that some of these teams are silly. French league is in their top 20 government rated sports. Your arguement that because RU has more players than league is just plain stupid. Reverse the role in Australia.
RL is the national code of PNG a country of 5.8 million, RU is the national sport in 2 countries, Wales and NZ combined poulation 7 million. Are you saying if you are not the number one sport in a country you can not be counted, as most countries would have 100 sports, alot would miss out. You must be a Victorian as you are use to AFL in winter and cricket in summer and nothing else third.

Wrong, 20% would equal about 8 countries, so here goes:

Australia
PNG
Tonga
Cook Islands
USA
France
Russia
Lebanon
England
Wales
etc

all have leagues

what they don't have is an Aussie Rules team.

Do some research before making rash stupid comments, wombat.

Lebanon has 5 teams, no information on 2 teams the other one has 10 players only listed...

They all look like NSW expats ;)

A few pacific islands who's population rival Tasmania is not much to revel in...

How many of these countries can say RL is their full time profession??

RL is below amateur status in most of the mentioned countries....

World rankings for most of these countries is a laugh, most of these countries do not have leagues or professional RL status. It seems like a few expats make a team play ba couple of games and thus they become the national side and given a world ranking. This is not so much about RL but the overall yearning for world recognition when its unheralded!

You my friend are a clown. Try using those same indicators on the world of RU, we won't even bother with AR, their still trying to FORCE everyone in NSW and QLD to play it.

All the players in Lebanon are locals, the league has been going for 6 years.

Ireland will tour NZ next year.

A few pacific islands who's population rival Tasmania is not much to revel in

From wikipedia here is the population:

Tasmania - 484,700

Fiji - 905,949

Revel in this article from today's Fiji Times:
From Kako to a Bati jumper his rugby dream

PETERO QAUQAU
Friday, January 12, 2007

55067thumbm.jpg

Raw talent ...Aminiasi Koroi knows what it means to make sacrifices in order to achieve ones aims
WHEN Saru Dragons centre Aminiasi Koroi bought his first pair of rugby boots way back in 2004 he made a commitment to play and make a name in rugby.

That determination to accomplish his goal paid off when he was named into the National Vodafone Bati side last month. A rare feat for him and his family back in Nalauwaki Village on Waya Island in the Yasawas'.

His selection among other things mean he gets a chance to travel to Australia on January 19 to play in the Test against Cook Islands on January 24 as well as play in the Orara Valley Axemen 7 on January 27-28.

If he produces consistent performamces he will be assured a spot in the Fiji team to the South Pacific Games to be held in Samoa in August-September.

For Koroi this opportunity is a dream come true with commitment, sacrifice and hard work all paying off for the better.

He looks back to his younger days sitting on the beach in Nalauwaki after an afternoon's game of beachfront island style rugby and those dreams of donning the national colours.

"That time life was really hard work in the islands," Koroi said.

"There were no hotels yet and the only source of income was from Kako."

Kako is the Yasawanised term for market produce made up of mainly root crops, coconut and marine produce that is sold in markets on the main land.

It is probably derived from the English word Cargo

Before the opening of the hotels and backpackers in the Yasawa Islands peoples' livelihood and daily activities evolved around the Kako.

Families would help each other with the planting of root crops such as cassava and other root crops.

The men would go diving to spear fish which would be smoked on nets over an open fire for days by the women and children, the smoked fish is a Fijian delicacy called Ika Vesa.

The boys would help with diving and would also fish and collect coconuts.

Women would collect shell fish and seaweeds. After all the produce had been collected they would wait for boats which would bring the women to the western town centres mainly Lautoka to sell their produce.

Boats would leave either on Thursday and Friday's and return after market closed on Saturday.

"For young boys like me back then dreams were all we had. The only way out for us was education," Koroi said.

It was education that brought Koroi from Nalauwaki to Viti Levu with a chance to play competitive rugby.

Aminiasi first attended primary school from 1992-1999 at Ratu Naivalu Memorial School in Yalobi Village also on the main Waya Island.

Yalobi the village of former SVT minister and Tui Waya Ratu Serupepeli Naivalu is two villages away and about seven hours climb over the rocky mountain top.

Because of the distance and rugged terrain between the village's students from all of Waya's four villages of Nalauwaki, Waya Levu, Natawa and Yalobi board at Ratu Naivalu.

For his secondary education he was sent to Yasawa High School on the island of Naviti where he studied from Form 3-6.

In 2004 he enrolled for Form Seven at Swamy Vivekananda where he trialed and was selected to play for his school U18 team in the Deans Trophy competition.

It was when he was chosen for the U18 outing that Koroi bought his first pair of boots.

His U18 team went on to become the first western school team to ever reach a semi-final of the annual schools competitions.

"I never owned anything like that, for us playing rugby back in primary school was against other classes. I also played for our village rugby club the Nalau Babale but without the boots just canvas," Koroi said.

Because of an illness he could not attend the national U18 western trials even though he was short listed.

Moving in with his sister in Saru Village on the hilly outskirts of the Sugar City was the big move in his playing career.

From then it was no stopping Koroi as he changed codes from rugby union to rugby league.

He was drafted into the village team, Saru Dragons which happens to be one of the top clubs in Fiji.

Saru is the only village around Lautoka that does not have a rugby union team, it's because their boy's play league.

He was given a chance to play for Lautoka in union but on the advice of Saru and national captain Semesa Cadrakilagi he opted otherwise.

An advise he now see's as worth following because had he gone for the maroons campaign he would not have been chosen for the Bati and his dreams of representing Fiji would not have eventuated.

National Bati coach Jo Rabele say's that Koroi is one of those talented players who had been overlooked.

"When we had the trials last month I specifically requested the selectors to choose young talented players."

Rabele said that Koroi had a good chance of making the SPG team provided he performs.

For the time being Koroi looks forward to making his dream come true representing Fiji at the upcoming scheduled tour.

Koroi is certified with certificates from the Fiji Institute of Technology and Training & Productivity Authority of Fiji in Building and Civil Engineering.

He will decide on employment options after his dream debut.

FACT FILE

FULL NAME: Aminiasi Koroi

D.OB: 02/07/1986

HEIGHT: 1.58cm

WEIGHT: 82kg

CLUB: Saru Dragons

DISTRICT: Western Conference

Anymore BS mate.

You my friend are a clown. Try using those same indicators on the world of RU, we won't even bother with AR, their still trying to FORCE everyone in NSW and QLD to play it.

All the players in Lebanon are locals, the league has been going for 6 years.

Anymore BS mate.

I dont care about RU world dominance, even though 250,000 play RU in France and only 5,000 play League :eek:

My point is that RL has made a name for itself in Australia. To a lesser degree in New Zealand, England after that it really struggles in most of the other countries you mentioned in your post 3. It's a fact that most of the other countries mentioned in the rankings do not have leagues.
On the other hand, most people know & recognize Rugby Union, it's a fact.
Rugby League is trying so hard to be heard that it amounts to overhyped and wild assumptions.

LMAO Greece has a world ranking in RL...Pleeeease!

PS

AR doesnt really care about international footy but having said that there are 60 odd teams in USA, aint so bad now is it? They have teams & leagues in many countries, but they dont go around giving world rankings to these countries like RL does.

The initial post goes to prove what a joke RL is. If the game is liked in the world it will flourish, no need for over zealous claims.

I dont care about RU world dominance, even though 250,000 play RU in France and only 5,000 play League :eek:

My point is that RL has made a name for itself in Australia. To a lesser degree in New Zealand, England after that it really struggles in most of the other countries you mentioned in your post 3. It's a fact that most of the other countries mentioned in the rankings do not have leagues.
Rugby League is trying so hard to be heard that it amounts to overhyped and wild assumptions.

PS

AR doesnt really care about international footy but having said that there are 60 odd teams in USA, aint so bad now is it? They have teams & leagues in many countries, but they dont go around giving world rankings to these countries like RL does.

The initial post goes to prove what a joke RL is. If the game is liked in the world it will flourish, no need for over zealous claims.
You should be barred from here full stop! the only joke is you,if rugby league rankings are such a joke why are you still posting here ? because deep down you know we have a international game that expands to 40 countries and you have nothing what so ever,you can go and play against ireland in the gaelic football, because that's all you have !I wonder how long this thread is going to last because of idiots like you ruining it .:thumbsdown:

PS Can't wait for the world cup in 2008 it's going to be a awsome occasion comprising of the top 10 RL nations.:thumbsu:

Gman, you are rehashing the same arguments that have been had on this board forever. The rules of the board warn against this type of behaviour. AFL/RL pissing competitions are old hat. If you are trying to say that Rugby League is comparative small fry on the world stage, then you are not exactly delivering breaking news.

However, given that games are played between nations, then world rankings are warranted. No-one is trying to argument that rugby league is the world game. But it has a small international presence and so countries can be ranked.

I really can't see what the big deal is.

I dont care about RU world dominance, even though 250,000 play RU in France and only 5,000 play League

Let's compare soccer to RU. In Spain there are 100's of thousands of players compared to a mere handful of union players. Right cross them off the list.

My point is that RL has made a name for itself in Australia. To a lesser degree in New Zealand, England after that it really struggles in most of the other countries you mentioned in your post 3.

Struggles so much in PNG that it is the national code.

It's a fact that most of the other countries mentioned in the rankings do not have leagues.

I agree some of the countries in the list should be taken off, however you claimed that not even 20% would have leagues, this isn't true is it? What do you think of the article in Fiji? RL is an international game. Is netball an international game? Cricket? These sports are played in only a handful of nations.

Do they really? How's it travelling in Germany, Nigeria, Indonesia, China, Brazil, Philippines, India etc?

RL knows it position it never hypes itself it just has to defend itself against negative BS artists like yourself. What private school did you go to again? Get me the quote from any league official claiming league is bigger than union, I'll give you a week to come up with one.

Agree

PS

Is that why they put money into Sth Africa etc. They are very envious. They have virtually nowhere to grow, do they now? The difference is the USA HAVE played Australia, in fact in the 50's they toured Australia, Nz and France. I can provide pictures if you wish. They were also regular participants in the world sevens tournament. Can the same happen in AR, NO it can't can it. All you've got is 22 rounds, some finals and a stupid medal........oh and the excitement of the draft. Yawn.

Mate, it's a sport like many others, soccer is number one, league is just a part of the sporting family and we're very happy with that. The great thing is that in the last 20 years the game has grown and will continue to grow. Go back to watching your 16 AFL clubs mate.

Now, what were your opinions on league's position in some small pacific islands again, you know the one's, yes, the one's with 500,000 more people than Tassie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh look Russian league on Russian TV. Not bad for a code lower than amateur level.

http://www.rt-online.ru/numbers/sport/?ID=29794

The finale of the goblet of Russia, which is outlined on 5 September, completely can pass in Kazan. Problem with the field here only appears. Conducting finale on the central stadium would be the most convenient version. In the drawing of honorable trophy in the past year in Luzhnikakh "arrow" although it yielded to Moscow "locomotive" - 22:30, produced very pleasant impression. Kazan' fans could control the events of finale along the channel "sport". In yr the young people of "arrow" acquired big enough play experience, and present finale can become more interestingly. But the viewers of channel "sport" again can see final duel on the screens of their television sets. Aleksandr Medvedev

And here's the Cup, "goblet of Russia", the teams play for:
cup.jpg

Oh a a team from Russia, Strela:
1_1145942691.jpg

Actually Kazan are not from Russia they just play in the Russian League.

Kazan is the capital of the Republic of Tatarstan.

So you can add another coutry to the list.

Actually Kazan are not from Russia they just play in the Russian League.

Kazan is the capital of the Republic of Tatarstan.

So you can add another coutry to the list.

I hate to break it too you mate, but Tatarstan are an Autonomous republic within the Russian federation, much like Wales or Puerto Rico.

I hate to break it too you mate, but Tatarstan are an Autonomous republic within the Russian federation, much like Wales or Puerto Rico.

I know, that's why they have so many problems with Russia, they call themselves independent, but Russia doesn't.

Very Rough translation..

http://translate.google.com/transla....strela-kazan.ru/?pg=2&bl=1&md=5&news=120#120

Kazan, the capital of the Republic of Tatarstan with thousands of years of history.August 30, 2005 the city celebrated the millennium anniversary.

Kazan is at the heart of the European part of the Russian Federation. Republic comes from Orenburg, Ulyanovsk, Kirov, Samara areas, as well as Mari El, Udmurtia, Chuvashia and Bashkortostan.

Capital City is 797 kilometers east of Moscow.

Kazan located on the left bank of the Volga, at the mouth of a river Kazanka and occupies a total land area of 412 square kilometers.

The coldest month in Atlanta-January (average temperature - 14C), and the warm-July (average temperature of 19 C).

Kazan was one of the 13 largest Russian cities with a population of more than 1 million.persons 40.7% of the population did not reach old age. In the capital of Tatarstan are approximately 1 million 200 residents who represent 101 nationalities. Among them, the most numerous ethnic groups are Tatars, Russians, Bashkir, universities, Ukrainians, Chuvash.

As of May 1999, the city worked House of Friendship of Peoples, which coordinates the work of 34 national cultural organizations.

There two state languages : Russian and Tatar.

.Kazan is divided into seven areas : Novo-savinowski (north), Moscow (north-west), Hermitage (north), Privolzhsky (southeast), Soviet (north-east), Wahitovski (central city) Aviastroitionay (north-west).

It covers more than 150 large enterprises. The main industries in the city are engineering, aviation, metal, precision instruments, as well as light, the food, chemical and petrochemical industries.

Another rough translation.

http://translate.google.com/transla....strela-kazan.ru/?pg=2&bl=1&md=5&news=120#120

In accordance with the agenda for the conference had approved the Championship and Cup winners Russia in 2006 to male and female teams. Was discussed and adopted Calendar and Rules Championship and the Cup of 2007. According to the decision Championship Super League, which consists of ten teams, will be held in two of the stations, followed by the first four teams razagraut prizes for the pleioff to two victories. In 2007, in connection with regbilig development in the country and the emergence of promising new teams formed Premier League Championship Russia.The first two teams of the First razagraut pleioff two teams ruining the score sheet top division for the right to enter Super League Championship in 2008.

Women's Championship 2007 will be held on the formula of the Championship in 2006.

There re Chief Judge Championship and Cup winners Russia.Approved Belolipecki Vladimir Alexandrovich, regbilig veteran and former player counterparts, currently holds the post of Chairman of the Committee on Fitness and Sports of Dolgoprudny Moscow region.

The Young regbilig by Denisov Alexander Akimov, who proposed the development of this critical area.

For information on the state of hockey team was made by the chief coach E. Klebanov. In his report he described as the difficulties and shortcomings, and the first achievements of the country in the international arena.2006 Finals Team Russia won the Cup winner European preliminaries Tournament Championship peace in 2008 in Australia.

In 2006, the Federation regbilig Russia has been working to popularize the game in the territory of the Russian Federation, and actively participated in the activities of international institutions regbilig Europe and the world, as a result, the Russian regbilig occupies its rightful place among the popular gambling sports in the country and in the international arena.Home credit and the main role in these achievements is directed in January 2006 Federation regbilig Russia, its President M. Beglareanu.

Looks like some more teams will be added to the top league and it looks like they are about to pump up the promotion of the game.:thumbsu:

1908 summed things up fairly well on the previous page.

Gman's arse must be as red as a baboon's at the moment. How much more is he willing to take? I'm tipping a fair bit.

Even our captain supreme gets a mention:

Как сообщает пресс-служба Международной федерации регби, капитан сборной Австралии Даррен Локкиер признан лучшим игроком 2006 года. Отметим, что это уже второй подобный успех Локкиера: его назвали лучшим регбистом и три года назад.http://news.sport-express.ru

Translation:
The captain team Australia became the best rugby player of year As reports the press- service of the international federation of regbi, the captain team Australia Darren Of lokkiyer is acknowledged by the best player 2006. Let us note that this already the second similar success Of lokkiyera: it named the best rugby player three ago.

Gman, you are rehashing the same arguments that have been had on this board forever. The rules of the board warn against this type of behaviour. AFL/RL pissing competitions are old hat. If you are trying to say that Rugby League is comparative small fry on the world stage, then you are not exactly delivering breaking news.

However, given that games are played between nations, then world rankings are warranted. No-one is trying to argument that rugby league is the world game. But it has a small international presence and so countries can be ranked.

I really can't see what the big deal is.

You may not see what the big deal is but it irks me to see a code be so vain.

You state "games between nations". Once again, so if expats pull on a jumper for a country play a couple of games against another team of expats, that constitutes a world ranking??? You cant see anything wrong with this?

Oh well I had my say...

By the way, I'd rather AR not expand or play Gaelic (absolute joke). Keeping the game within this great nation of ours is enough.

That's because you follow an insular, parochial sport.
We want our game to grow both here and overseas, we also love the rich history of international competition. If you have watched ABC digital this week you would have seen Australia playing in the late 60's early 70's in front of massive crowds at the SCG and Lang Park, this has traditionally been the pinnacle of our sport and our major focus.

You state "games between nations". Once again, so if expats pull on a jumper for a country play a couple of games against another team of expats, that constitutes a world ranking??? You cant see anything wrong with this?

Once again you fail to see that RU does exactly the same thing. Without expats union would fall apart in most of it's minor nations. Cricket the same.

Union does pretty much the same...Russia got kicked out of Qualifying before the RUWC in 2003 because it turned out to Saffers in thier squad had no Russian Ancestory...

These arguments are consistently thrown back in our faces. The amount of times I had to deal with a toff criticizing RL for something when I worked in Truro (Admittedly, after a few pints, and Toff's hardly the right word for a Cornish beach bum) was amazing, but has nothing on the flabbergasted look I'd get on a co-workers face when I was working in St Leonards in Sydney when I mentioned my passion. We're about the only sport in the world that the media will consistently jump down its throat if something slightly innacurate is said about the profile.

The fact that Foreign AR leagues like the American one are largely populated with expats is rarely mentioned (David Kockh...looking your way mr sunrise), and the fact that the IRB has lied consistently about the size of its world cup and the profile of the game in country's like Japan and Argentina is largely allowed to slide under the carpet. But the press will lambast an ermerging RL nation like Lebanon for being full of expats (They've limited them to half the Cedars squad btw) is simply pathetic. If someone feels like turning that into more than one sentence, you're welcome to.

Why must RL be 100% honest in its reporting when everyone else is telling whoppers? It's hardly a fair standard to maintain, but then again, I'm proud that the sport I've had a passion for when I was young is true to itself more than most.

the Ratings suck. But it's a start.

The double standard is a joke, RL world cup and union world cups have similar problems, yet union spin BS about a "festival of rugby" when the crowds are doing Mexican waves (a sure sign of boredom after all that's what is done at the cricket when the crowd is bored with slow play). Whilst every little negative in league is highlighted. The union wc in 1999 degenerated into a street fight with gouging, biting, nut grabbing, punching and stomping, Eales was going to take his team off it was that bad, yet barely a word in the media. Compare that to the hysteria of a Willie Mason fight etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

World rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back