Opinion Worst commentators in your time

Remove this Banner Ad

my favourite commentary style would be something like this just because it raises the excitement level of watching a game if you have callers with character and a calling style, quick-fire, spittin' rhymes, good articulation, good flow, but i guess its considered old fashioned now, maybe, not sure, but its more exciting to my ears...part of it is also, just simply describing the play easily, and knowing the technical side of the game, or even pretending to. Notice and example here, "Side-steps Johnson, Drives to the lane, book it, now you see him, now you don't", with no hesitation the caller has good flow and follows up with a clever metaphor/versatile description to sum it up. So these are commentators who prepare, probably write out frameworks/ideas/quotes for games and clearly love doing it.

Last edited:
Rex jumped the shark. Early days he was supremely entertaining. After years of listening to The Captain and the Major who operated at either end of the eloquence spectrum, along came Rex Hunt bellowing insanity at us through our speakers. Towards the end of his career his ramblings gave you no clue as to what was going on in the game. He went a long long way up his own arse. Yibbida yibbida.

Dwayne Russell, without question. He just yells all the time. He barely actually commentates, rather, just calls out the name of the player with the ball with nothing connecting it. He sounds weirdly angry all the time when I'm guessing he's going for lively/excited. Just absolutely grating to listen to.

With Bruce, when we used to be good when he was in his prime as a commentator, he made it bloody exciting to watch.

But yeah he can be annoying. Especially when he used to ask questions during his commentary.

I never like Drew Morphett when commentating footy, but for some reason I didn't mind his radio cricket commentary.

I don't want to continue the pile on and I stay quiet when it gets brought up, but not Kellie Underwood fan.
Both just seem see it and say it without much colour or life. I hear you about Underwood, as a good portion of her detractors are also seemingly misogynist. But she is genuinely bad. Your post has made me wonder what she'd be like commentating cricket, could also work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rex jumped the shark. Early days he was supremely entertaining. After years of listening to The Captain and the Major who operated at either end of the eloquence spectrum, along came Rex Hunt bellowing insanity at us through our speakers. Towards the end of his career his ramblings gave you no clue as to what was going on in the game. He went a long long way up his own arse. Yibbida yibbida.
I used to listen to games a lot late '90s. Playing junior country footy in 2000, I listened to a few of our games on the bus on the way home from away games. Rex could really paint a picture of what was going on, you could visualise it through his words once you got used to the phrases. Used to be his strong point, sad to hear he lost it but probably unsurprising.

Dwayne... King of the pre organised catch phrase, also has this weird upward infliction on the end of his yells which somehow sounds like he's telling you what's happening while asking a question at the same time

Darcy... Has an annoying habit of putting a ey on the end of everyone's name... Jakey stringer, kicks to sammey draper, onto zachey merrett.

Maher.. little nerd who loves the sound of his own voice, never stops to take a breath, just keeps going til it gets faster and more breathless til all the wordsjoinintoone. One eyed as hell too

Jobe... terrible, somehow manages to state the absolute obvious with words that don't fit

Quarters... One eyed peanut who shouldn't be allowed near a hawk call

Huddo, always keen to yell and create drama where there's none... Thirteen, THIRTEEN! he looks thirteen.

Both just seem see it and say it without much colour or life. I hear you about Underwood, as a good portion of her detractors are also seemingly misogynist. But she is genuinely bad. Your post has made me wonder what she'd be like commentating cricket, could also work.
It is hard not to appear misogynistic when stating that you don’t like her commentary because she is one of only a few females.

Sarah Jones, Kate Loughman, Abby Holmes are great. Sarah Jones is one of the best I reckon although none of them actually really call the games. I actually thought Daisy was pretty good too. She clearly understands the game.

It is hard not to appear misogynistic when stating that you don’t like her commentary because she is one of only a few females.

Sarah Jones, Kate Loughman, Abby Holmes are great. Sarah Jones is one of the best I reckon although none of them actually really call the games. I actually thought Daisy was pretty good too. She clearly understands the game.

True. But it's also a bit like the Goodes thing. There is a section of the audience that are heaping it on for completely the wrong reason. Don't want to be joining in on it inadvertently and giving them a louder voice.

Another annoying thing about Dwayne Russell, other than him thinking he's the next Dennis Cometti with his one liners, is you can tell he wants to be the voice for goal and/or mark of the year. It seems like almost every game he calls out immediately at the point of the mark or goal "that's mark/goal of the year". It doesn't even need to be an awesome mark/goal, anything slightly above average gets the call just in case.

Any ex-Geelong players doing special comments. Ling is painfully annoying & Selwood barely adds anything of interest in.

I can’t watch Selwood chat to the kids on the sidelines for that Auskick player of the year thing.

I have to mute it or change the channel, it’s so cringy.

Granted it would be a bit of a tough gig, it just makes me squirm in my seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Worst commentators in your time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back