Worst ever performance from a home prelim finalist?

Remove this Banner Ad

hopelessly out coached and to many put their hands in not their bodies. Killed in 10 minutes.

Danger is a bull but his disposal in 90% ineffective.
Then how come his efficiency is rated at 74% - pretty good I would think for an inside mid? This is a genuine question as I didn't watch the game that closely.

Criticism of dangerfield from last night is a joke.

Yeah he butchered it a fair bit. Everyone in our team did. For half a game of football he was seemingly the only player making any sort of effort and he single handedly stopped it from just being a complete blowout (more than it already was, I mean). His disposal last time I looked is marginally above average for the comp. If he's recording that sort of efficiency, and winning the ball and clearing it as much as he did this year, I'll take it.

One game in 27 days is a Preliminary killer, it's better to "tank" the first final if you finish top 4 and keep playing. The AFL have rooted the finals series! 5th is best place to finish in 2017!

Criticism of dangerfield from last night is a joke.

Yeah he butchered it a fair bit. Everyone in our team did. For half a game of football he was seemingly the only player making any sort of effort and he single handedly stopped it from just being a complete blowout (more than it already was, I mean). His disposal last time I looked is marginally above average for the comp. If he's recording that sort of efficiency, and winning the ball and clearing it as much as he did this year, I'll take it.

Just jealousy from the usual mob that crawl out of the woodwork.

Dangerfield is indisputably in the top two players playing the game; his performance last night wasn't great but it wasn't terrible and his Brownlow next Monday will highlight his amazing season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just shows how tough the transition from methodical preparation to gameday performance is. How could you not have at least that maniacal intensity if winning is everything...

Despite the laughable odds and favouritism, I doubt most were predicting the Cats to win. The Swans were minor premiers and were slight favourites in my books. The Swans showing up to play were going to win comfortably. After the 2014 GF, they won't allow themselves to be flattened in an important Q1 ever again.

As far as home prelim finalist performances, it was probably one of the most despairing. A cat fan in Q1 would have been fairly devastated with what transpired. The Swans in 2003 were kind of shocked to be hosting a PF, and the game was close at 3/4 time. The bulldogs in 1998 were disappointing, but they were up against a side who beat them in the same fixture the previous year, when both sides were more evenly matched, so some hangover can be expected. St. Kilda in 2005 would have to be disappointed, but they were in a strong position at 3/4 time. Freo against the Hawks last year were unlikely to win.

Then how come his efficiency is rated at 74% - pretty good I would think for an inside mid? This is a genuine question as I didn't watch the game that closely.

Dangerfield aside, I've always found efficiency ratings to be rubbery at best. I recall years ago a certain player had 9 possessions in a quarter but made every disposal error in the book. At 1/4 time up came an efficiency rating of 91% which was just total crap.

Dangerfield aside, I've always found efficiency ratings to be rubbery at best. I recall years ago a certain player had 9 possessions in a quarter but made every disposal error in the book. At 1/4 time up came an efficiency rating of 91% which was just total crap.

I can understand that. Last night his efficiency was visibly poor.

But in general he cops it because 1 or 2 in 10 disposals are absolute howlers. Like a goal kicker who gets smashed because he sprays the odd one absolutely miles into the crowd but is actually reasonably accurate normally.

Despite the laughable odds and favouritism, I doubt most were predicting the Cats to win. The Swans were minor premiers and were slight favourites in my books. The Swans showing up to play were going to win comfortably. After the 2014 GF, they won't allow themselves to be flattened in an important Q1 ever again.

As far as home prelim finalist performances, it was probably one of the most despairing. A cat fan in Q1 would have been fairly devastated with what transpired. The Swans in 2003 were kind of shocked to be hosting a PF, and the game was close at 3/4 time. The bulldogs in 1998 were disappointing, but they were up against a side who beat them in the same fixture the previous year, when both sides were more evenly matched, so some hangover can be expected. St. Kilda in 2005 would have to be disappointed, but they were in a strong position at 3/4 time. Freo against the Hawks last year were unlikely to win.

Fairly good summation. It was pretty gut wrenching to watch us butcher it so much and seeing everything Sydney do just turn to gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst ever performance from a home prelim finalist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back