Injury Worst/most gruesome injury you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

BrodeeKF

Rookie
Jul 28, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
What's the most gruesome looking injury you've ever seen in an AFL or state league game?

Trent Hentschel's knee is definitely up there for me..

Jaymie Graham's knee injury playing for South.

One of the reasons the contact below the knees rule got made

Michael Barlow trying to stand on his broken leg was pretty gruesome.

John Greening without a doubt but that was just plain assault. I honestly thought he was dead when they took him off on the stretcher.

Saw Tony Shaw try to play on with a dislocated elbow and his fore arm bent back the wrong way.
Was going to mention the Shaw one - I had a memory of him sitting there screaming over and over again, holding it with the other arm - didn't realise he tried to keep playing. It was almost 40 years ago, and I've no desire to go back and see it again

Tim Broomhead snapping his leg on the goalpost always comes to mind for me with this question

Killing it as playing coach in the Ovens and Murray league at the moment. Turned a rabble into a possible premiership threat within 2 years at North Albury.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan Roberton collapsing vs geelong in 2018.

Watching live this is the only time I have felt a player might die.

didn't really see all there was to see, but a few stick with me

gareth john, larynx crushed by simon madden.

dwayne lamb swallowing his mouthguard. any unconcious player convulsing. particularly richard osborne.
link - it is chilling. a few quotes around the place and the man himself saying he died in the ambulance.

steven king vs jeff white. made an amazing sound in the footage. not something you see on a footy field much thankfully.

It's clearly not the most gruesome but one of the worst for me was actually the Petracca one. More for the aftermath than the actual moment itself, although the moment itself was fairly intense.

Just knowing he went out there, I was holding my breath every time he got the ball (as I'm sure many were) and then seeing how pale he was in the rooms on the stretcher, it was a tough thing to see.

Nathan Brown (bulldogs) when he broke his leg & petracca

Nathan Brown (bulldogs) when he broke his leg & petracca
This one. It wasn’t just a broken leg, it was a compound fracture where the broken bone pierces the skin. I think the commentators were losing it too as understandably, Brown was.

He was a Richmond player at the time.

This one. It wasn’t just a broken leg, it was a compound fracture where the broken bone pierces the skin. I think the commentators were losing it too as understandably, Brown was.

It was horrible
Yes you’re right when he was at Richmond

The ones I saw:

Richard Osborne when he was at Fitzroy, at Waverley vs the Pies in the late 80's. He gathered beautifully, evaded Millane who fell to the ground and rolled onto Osborne's knee which went sideways.

Kelly smashing Ben Doolan's teeth out, a nasty hit at Victoria Park. Straight elbow to the mouth.

On telly, when Craig Kelly did his knee in WA vs the eagles, and the crowd jeered him so he stood up and limped off. It looked horrendous and apparently made the injury twice as bad.

Yeah I was pretty close to the incident about 20 meters up on the wing bottom level. It was in 2005 the year he claims he was the or one of the best players in the league at the time. Must admit Richmond were having a pretty good season at that point but fell away after that game.

Snell for Geelong when he did his ankle is the worst at AFL level, at local level I saw someone get up on someones shoulders and broke both legs on the landing.

Both were awful to see live and are things I can't unsee.

Was totally horrific

Remove this Banner Ad

Back