Injury Worst/most gruesome injury you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

When Joel Smith did his knee playing for the Saints. Was ruined, hyperextended well past the normal.. backwards like some sort of horror creation.

I remember at the time the surgeon was quoted as saying "The damange was more like a car accident than a sporting accident"

Was very pleased when he came to my club, and came back to earn 2x AA gurnseys, and a club BnF.

(If you dont mind gory.. it is here, )

Terry Cahill smashed by Big Carl Ditterich in 1978. Almost died on field and only saved by trainers pulling his tongue from his throat to prevent choking to death. Merv Neagle KO’d same day. St Kilda in the 70s were a real nasty piece of work.

Jeff White in 2005 was kicked in the face by Steven King.

He had multiple face fractures that required 5 plates and 14 screws.

Yep.

Nathan G Brown's leg still the worst.

Not everyday do you see someone dive across a leg split while a kick's about to happen.

Good spoil by Whelan but it was a gruesome aftermath.

The Wrecker stopped afterwards and called for the docs and crew.

Can't help but occasionally watch it again on YouTube.

Mitch Wallis kicking his own leg instead of the footy and breaking it in 2016. The footage released of him being stretchered out past teammates screaming in pain wasn't all that great to see either.

Mitch Wallis kicking his own leg instead of the footy and breaking it in 2016. The footage released of him being stretchered out past teammates screaming in pain wasn't all that great to see either.

Was it like this?

1719993802137.png

Nathan Brown and Caven getting his nose pushed through the back of his head.

John Greening without a doubt but that was just plain assault. I honestly thought he was dead when they took him off on the stretcher.

Saw Tony Shaw try to play on with a dislocated elbow and his fore arm bent back the wrong way.
See the photo of him on the stretcher about to enter the race. As close to a dead body as you could see. Bloody horrible. As a kid growing up in Adelaide loved Greening. So sad what happened and sheer thuggery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard’s injury last weekend was horrendous. Couldn’t help but feel for the guy the way he went down, screaming in agony.

St Kilda's Darren Davies suffering a badly broken leg early in 1991 and Richmond's Brad Gwilliam crashing into a goal post at Football Park in Adelaide in 1992 were horrific injuries.

Conversely, Sydney's Jamie Lawson seemed only to fall over in a game for the Swans against Richmond at the SCG in 1994 - but his leg was so badly injured that he could never play football again.

St Kilda's Darren Davies suffering a badly broken leg early in 1991 and Richmond's Brad Gwilliam crashing into a goal post at Football Park in Adelaide in 1992 were horrific injuries.

Conversely, Sydney's Jamie Lawson seemed only to fall over in a game for the Swans against Richmond at the SCG in 1994 - but his leg was so badly injured that he could never play football again.
Lawson was looking like he was going to be a gun. Terrible way to end his career

Worst I’ve seen was at a local game about 20 years ago on one of the old glue pot ovals that were just mud. Thankfully almost all local ovals have vastly improved surfaces now.

Guy went down and was screaming and I even saw a couple of other players look and then quickly turn away as they couldn’t look.

I saw him briefly as the stretcher passed me and the guys leg looked fairly normal down to about the ankle, and then the foot was just totally twisted around and almost facing the the other way by 180 degrees. The whole lower leg and achilles must have been destroyed.

Ugly stuff. The ambulance did get there reasonably quickly and got him straight on the happy gas, thankfully.

I remember hearing he never played footy again but after surgery did recover well.

Nathan Brown's broken leg on slow-mo right in front of the camera during primetime footy was horrendous, especially considering nobody in the commentary team knew the extent of the injury.

Worst one I've seen was watching a boyfriend play, two team mates ran into each other, one trying to stop himself but his foot effectively contacted his team mate's shin and the force of him trying to slow himself snapped his foot off - bone sticking out, foot facing sideways and in the wrong direction.

And they collided so both were a head injury.

And it was right at the end of the game so the clock kept going, siren went while the stretcher was taking him to the ambulance.

Snell for Geelong when he did his ankle is the worst at AFL level, at local level I saw someone get up on someones shoulders and broke both legs on the landing.

Both were awful to see live and are things I can't unsee.
Yep came in to say that one. Was my first ever game at the G too.

Have been at or played in plenty of soccer/football games so have seen more compound fractures for a few lifetimes.

I was at Footscray the day Neil Sachse was crippled in a collision with Kevin O'Keefe of Fitzroy. It was sickening.
Was about to mention Sachse...that was awful. The other scary one was when Footscray's Brian Perrin swallowed his tongue against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. He was convulsing and choking to death until a trainer managed to remove his tongue from blocking his throat.

This one. It wasn’t just a broken leg, it was a compound fracture where the broken bone pierces the skin. I think the commentators were losing it too as understandably, Brown was.

He was a Richmond player at the time.

The Jeremy Howe compound fracture of the arm was the same last year, the wound went septic because of the stuff they sprayed on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back