Worst player to play in a grand final??

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic get a a local footballer to dive on the ball.
Did you even watch it? It doesn't sound like it. I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could find a worse player or two in Melbourne's implosions against both Hawthorn and Essendon rather than the skipper of a winning premiership side. :)

Not sure where they played him in the SANFL that year.

Malcolm Blight told him Tuesday night at training before the GF that he would be selected at FF due to Modra doing his knee in the prelim vs Bulldogs - according to Blight, was a spur of the moment decision at the time.

54 games in 5 seasons for us. Was a serviceable player but always will be remembered for the 5 goals in that GF.
Am I right I thinking he only spent early part of the game up forward? I think a few of his 5 goals were kicked running off half-back..

Nick Maxwell 2011 admitted he was out of his depth.
There’s probably 5-6 list cloggers from Saints 2010 GF teams who would be front and centre in this thread. Blake, Eddy, Peake, Dempster, McQualter for starters.

And that’s just off the top of my head. There’d certainly be others in that St Kilda team who don’t belong anywhere near a GF team.

Last edited:
Frampton or Mason Cox jump to the top of the list, take your pick.

Luke Ablett

There’s probably 5-6 list cloggers from Saints 2010 GF teams who would be front and centre in this thread. Blake, Eddy, Peake, Dempster, McQualter for starters.

And that’s just off the top of my head. There’d certainly be others in that St Kilda team who don’t belong anywhere near a GF team.

Still Nick no answer Maxwell.

Ben Kinnear

Aaron Keating is the pinnacle of the genre, but there’s looking at ruckmen - especially 2nd ruckmen - in GFs throws up some pretty unremarkable names- Trent West, Brent Renouf, Max Bailey, Stephen Doyle, Mark Blake, Beau McDonald, Steve McKee, Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith, Nathan Vardy.

Is that the former All Australian and premiership player Sean Dempster? Not sure you are talking about the right person here.

Aaron Keating is the pinnacle of the genre, but there’s looking at ruckmen - especially 2nd ruckmen - in GFs throws up some pretty unremarkable names- Trent West, Brent Renouf, Max Bailey, Stephen Doyle, Mark Blake, Beau McDonald, Steve McKee, Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith, Nathan Vardy.
Vardy did a super job when Nic went down in 2018. He couldn't have picked a better time to hit career best form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tristen Walker worse than Kinnear imo

Bit harsh on Dempster as others have already mentioned. Was as reliable as they come.

Brett Peake was handy on his day too.

So many dumb people here period.

Also so many dumb people who can't read the question.

If you had a long career, you can't be nominated. There'd be so many ahead of you. Pretty damn obvious.
The question doesn't specify if it's the worst player in their overall career who was just lucky to play in a GF or worst player performance in a Grand Final. There's so many nameless irrelevant players who hardly played but managed to play in a GF, you could honestly raffle it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst player to play in a grand final??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back