Worst premiership captains of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Watching tonight's game just had me thinking about who would be considered the 'worst' premiership captains in AFL history? Darcy Moore comes to mind straight off the bat, Nick Maxwell another... He was courageous and disciplined as anything but was by no means a great player, even just compared to his own teammates. Easton Wood as the stand in for Bob Murphy had a fantastic season in 2016 but I doubt is looked back on as a modern great...

Who else would be some picks from history?

Especially after going Cotchin, Hurn, Cotchin, Cotchin, Gawn, Selwood, Moore.

Sticks out like a sore thumb.
Moore was good last year.

History will say he was a very good captain throughout the entire season. And he missed a few.

He was excellent.

Moore was good last year.

History will say he was a very good captain throughout the entire season. And he missed a few.

He was excellent.
Disagree. On his watch in 2023 nearly all the top key forwards kicked big bags on him. Team was fantastic but he's been one of the worst one on one defenders in the comp for multiple years now.

Larkey 5.2
Tex 5.0
Curnow 6.0
Cameron 7.4

Rough question because I think we miss a lot about captaincy from only seeing the on-field. Tom Harley for the Cats was never a superstar but was a huge part of turning the culture around and leading a team of superstars. Darcy Moore was very good last year and seems a good partnership, personality-wise, with McRae in building this different era of Collingwood.

I personally reckon Captaining, much like winning a B&F or a Brownlow or Coleman or Leigh Mathews medal in a Premiership year, you’ve done your bit.

Disagree. On his watch in 2023 nearly all the top key forwards kicked big bags on him. Team was fantastic but he's been one of the worst one on one defenders in the comp for multiple years now.

Larkey 5.2
Tex 5.0
Curnow 6.0
Cameron 7.4
Harsh

Even sos had bags kicked against him on good years..but come the big games that mattered..he always delivered. He was a desperate, guttsy, all in player who I admire greatly.

Except GF 93’ ..but that wasn’t his fault.

You can squarely blame Diesel Williams for not dealing with the hard hitting shenanigans of the great Sean Denham.

Last edited:
2 x Premiership captain
3 x Best and Fairest
5 x All Australian
All time leading goal scorer for Carlton on 738
2nd all time games as captain

7185 days.

Don’t blame me, blame OP for starting a blatant troll thread.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a better conversation would be what makes a good Aussie rules captain. I've never played the game so I don't know what would be expected for it particularly. And I'm an old guy who was more used to strong coaches, not afraid to chew you out. So I originally thought a strong captain was someone who not only led on the field, but also off including being able to support, inspire or intimidate if need be. In fact I used to think Selwood might not be a good captain in the aspect of not having that hard aspect. It wasn't until after the Premiership that I understood what he had actually done at the club.
Selwood would be a template for a good modern captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back