moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
With Big Izzy and campaigner converting from NRL to AFL, are there any AFL players who could successfully make the transition into the NRL?

David Rodan for mine.

Dominate it as much as K.Hunt is dominating the AFL:eek:

Quite a few I reckon... but they would have to be the more solid and stocky types.
We saw how much Hunt & Folau had to slim down to play AFL... league would require guys to beef up heaps.

Smaller guys who are elusive through packes and therefore would have good side-steps could convert I reckon.

Roden in his prime yes but I reckon Cyril would make an NRL fullback pretty easy.

RL is not just about brute force. But you do have to be tough.
For the kep playmakers in RL, the game is about decsion making.
RL guys with great vison (A Johns, Cam Smith, Fittler, Lockyer, etc) would be great centermen in AFL.
Similarly, Greg Williams, Sam Mitchell, S Black, Hayes, Bartel, would be great RL half backs.

nic nat would kill it on the wing ryder would go ok as well Stewart Crameri would probably go good not that tall weighs about 100kg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i couldnt see any afl making in in the halfs as a play maker...but quite a few could make handy wingers.

Barry hall would have been ideal as a 2nd row forward. Merrett has play union, and would be another forward option

I think nic nat would be the best suited atm for a wing spot...i could see him fitting in very well in the broncos old game plan in folou's right wing spot.

Ablett surely has the agilty of a half back, but no way he would get a half back spot

Goodes...the size, strength and power would have made the transition...and lightning over short bursts. Bonus of having that concrete body and resilient.

Old school mobile Lock Forward in League, but maybe a bit small to lock a rugger scrum.. breakaway.

LRT obviously as he was a union player.

After the Lions got rid of him I talked to Craig Bellamy about trying to recuriter AKA. I seriously thought he would have made a great winger. fast good hands and could tackle.

Bellamy just told me I had too many drinks tho

there's always demand in league for big guys with a tank that can truck the ball up all day long. Plenty of players with the dimensions to fill out into back rowers. I doubt any player could transition into one of the playmaker positions mid way through their career, the skills and timing needed to play in those positions take years to build.

Even the jump from league to union is a huge step for most and very few halves have ever made the transition, really only wingers and fullbacks. K Hunt was a fullback in league and only really got a start on the wing in union, where he was average at french domestic level! Very hard to make up the lack of nous between codes let alone vastly different sports.

The type of player from AFL that could dominate would be a ruckman. Typical union lock is 200-205 and 115-120, with a good vertical leap. I'd imagine there are more than a few AFL players that could fit that bill and pick up the inside style of game the position demands.

The problem for any player converting is that there is really no place to hide on the field, and any afl player lining up in the nrl would be relentlessly attacked...it would be very difficult, and only can only see afl players given a chance as a winger, or the few who have size as forwards as they rotate more off the bench

We just don't know for sure.

Chances are though that AFL players would have a better show through the NRL than vice versa.

Depends on what level. These transitions would be more about the athletes rather than the skills they gained in another sport. If any footy players transfered as they were they'd be absolutely destroyed. It would take a lot of conditioning and training just to get them to NSW cup level.

We just don't know for sure.

Chances are though that AFL players would have a better show through the NRL than vice versa.

I reckon it would be quite hard for an AFL player to go to NRL. They could do it but would need a lot of conditioning and strength training. It's ok to be fast but if you can't survive a tackle, and don't forget these guys go for the head and the legs, they wouldn't get too far.

Didn't Barich do it and lasted two seconds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would any AFL players dominate the NRL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back