A Fed Gov funded NRL team in PNG vs an AFL team in NT

Remove this Banner Ad

Give a team in Toowoomba or Geraldton $60 million and they'll do okay, too.

But who's paying for that?

The PNG proposal is foreign aid designed to keep PNG in Australia's sphere. There's no justifiable reason for the government to fork out $60m for an NT AFL team.

And without an absurd amount of government funding, an NT AFL team is a ridiculous idea.

All things are possible with Government and public funds.

They spray a couple of billion every year for indigenous affairs in the NT, just divert $50 million to an AFL program and call it a health and welfare initiative.

It’s no less ludicrous than a NRL team in PNG holding back the yellow peril.

Last edited:

All things are possible with Government and public funds.

They spray a couple of billion every year for indigenous affairs in the NT, just divert $50 million to an AFL program and call it a health and welfare initiative.

Not great for the long term. You want a team that can stand on its own if the funding dries up.

The PNG deal touted is for ten years. Even after ten years of establishing itself, an NT team would collapse if government funding stopped.

It’s not less ludicrous than a NRL team in PNG holding back the yellow peril.

Less ludicrous, but still ludicrous.

What’s ridiculous about having a team in the NT ?.
What Canberra Pear said plus, the weather is unsuitable - you can’t play the first two months of the season, and it is humid and slippery the rest of the time. Pre-seasons would be a nightmare. Plus, some of the same problems at PNG will have recruiting players. Darwin is half the size of Hobart and offers very few commercial opportunities for players and it is miles from anywhere. Plus, it is not as AFL mad as people think, NRL is also big, NT has the highest participation rates for playing RL, as well as AR.

But the main reasons are commercial. There are simply better and more logical options for a 20th team. Canberra is four times the size, close to Sydney and drivable from Melbourne. A Canberra team will deliver twice the crowds, more broadcast revenue, a better environment for players and, most of a better opportunity to really grow the code in the largest market without and AFL team.

I personally don't like the idea of putting an NRL team in PNG just to fend off China in the Pacific. Sure, league is popular over there and the country has produced many great players but the challenges are almost insurmountable imo. I would much rather see the NRL try and get a team going somewhere like Fiji, but that of course also comes with challenges.

I personally prefer the idea of NZ2. The Warriors have seen a surge in popularity in the last couple of seasons and have been regularly selling out home games this season. I don't follow union so I'm not sure if the situation is as dire across the ditch as it is here for the sport, but the NRL would be smart to capitalise on league's growing popularity. As for Perth, I don't mind the proposal but the planned execution doesn't look great on paper.

I would personally love to see an AFL team in the NT but not sure they have the population for it. I think we'd need to see Darwin's population double before it's seriously considered, and even then it's still a risk. I'm still a bit wary of the Tassie team for the same reasons. Hopefully that actually gets off the ground.

I personally don't like the idea of putting an NRL team in PNG just to fend off China in the Pacific. Sure, league is popular over there and the country has produced many great players but the challenges are almost insurmountable imo. I would much rather see the NRL try and get a team going somewhere like Fiji, but that of course also comes with challenges.

I personally prefer the idea of NZ2. The Warriors have seen a surge in popularity in the last couple of seasons and have been regularly selling out home games this season. I don't follow union so I'm not sure if the situation is as dire across the ditch as it is here for the sport, but the NRL would be smart to capitalise on league's growing popularity. As for Perth, I don't mind the proposal but the planned execution doesn't look great on paper.

I would personally love to see an AFL team in the NT but not sure they have the population for it. I think we'd need to see Darwin's population double before it's seriously considered, and even then it's still a risk. I'm still a bit wary of the Tassie team for the same reasons. Hopefully that actually gets off the ground.

I agree that NZ need another team, but I don’t believe PNG’s introduction would mean the former won’t happen.

If the rumors are true, it’ll be,

2028 - PNG intro
2029 - Perth Bears
2030 - Second NZ team

With the above guaranteeing two more weekly games p/w for the lucrative tv deal set to be renegotiated in 2030.

Remove this Banner Ad

A Fed Gov funded NRL team in PNG vs an AFL team in NT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back