Would you give "qualified" membership support to a struggling opposition club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You love your club, you love the game. Port Adelaide for example offers a 3 match "Opposition Support" Membership for 50 bucks at Etihaad or MCG....You get admission, maybe prime seating for joining up. So for example you go along and support Port against other opposition clubs... no stress..you can needle the opposition without fear or favour.....if Port lose doesn't matter...if Port win you've enjoyed the day! You could choose any team. Preferably structured to go along when your own team is playing interstate.

You don't have to remain loyal, you could give qualified support to another team next season...maybe to whichever club you consider needs a help. It seems counter intuitive to do this but in the end its helps the club you really support because it simply promotes the game.

I have a Hawthorn 17 game gold membership that is around $440 or something like that. I bought a cheap North Melbourne 11 game general admin one for $190, because I like the club and want them to keep afloat. I plan to renew my NMFC membership every year until they are stable.

I did this year for the Bulldogs, they even gave me a hat & scarf! unlike Collingwood which wants extra for a hat & scarf! Side by Side

Richmond have a lot of members but still have to sell home games. That wouldn't change if I bought Richmond membership. They need to make finals, simple as that.

NFL gate share is win, then as an away supporter your team gets a cut so your more encouraged to get along 60/40 split i think it is. Should help create bigger and more even crowds resulting in better atmosphere. Bigger clubs would still make the most, but of course the draw would need to be fair.

There is only one club that has me emotionally and financially committed. The others are just obstacles in looking for a next win.

Absolutely I would, can't get enough footy and if I could get into a few more games no the cheap while helping a team that could use the money, I can't see how I could lose.

Besides, if it isn't Collingwood V XXXXX I can enjoy watching both teams go at it, and get an idea on what their youth/top end talent is like, good for a cheap day out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I morally support the right of clubs like North to exist, but that's as far as it goes. It's up to the clubs themselves to come up with solutions, and the AFL to help them out financially if necessary. Don't have room for a "second team".

I buy a 3 game North Melbourne membership for my mother each year. She's a long time supporter, it makes her feel good and tips a bit of cash into them because she goes to 1 game every 2 years if things go well.

I'd be tempted to buy a Port 3 game membership to help out but I wouldn't go to any games.

Being a Tasmanian I already give tax money to Hawthorn.

Welcome to Essendon Football Club's flight plan to Melbourne Airport.

Essendon Football Club has a vision to build the biggest and best training and administration facility in the AFL. The project cost to secure this generational outcome for the Club is $30 million.

The Club has a comprehensive fundraising strategy to ensure the success of the project with funding sought from the Federal and State governments, as well as the AFL. But a project of this size requires a substantial investment from the Club.

You're welcome.

I bought a Tigers membership when they recruited Cousins, because I told a mate I would.

I then considered buying a membership at a struggling club each year before my wife told me to pull my head in and give it to charity

I did take out a North Melbourne one for a while, to support. Did it off and on. But I stopped when they decided to stay in Melbourne. I thought my actions might think they have more support than they do, and I also thought if they thought they could go it alone in Victoria - well in that case I wouldn't assist.

No. I've got more important things to spend my money on, quite frankly. I don't want to see any club go down the Fitzroy path, but as someone else said, a few coins in a tin would be the absolute limit for me.

If I was going to those games regardless, probably. If not, no. I'd rather donate to a charity, junior or grass roots club. The AFL make over a billion dollars on TV rights alone, they should look after their product rather then opposition fans that make relatively nothing.

Interesting, Hawthorn paid for refurbishment of Waverley without Government funding?

I have no idea, but I'm not making any claims in that regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you give "qualified" membership support to a struggling opposition club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back