Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Minor change for the Suns pre-AFL page, you have them down as wearing the same jumper in 2009 (TAC Cup) and 2010 (VFL) which I suppose was true before the logos were added, but there was a very slight difference between the two comps. You've got the VFL jumper here, whereas the TAC jumper had a different league logo and no CFA logo (VFL-wide sponsor that year). Could be mistaken, but there might not have been any sidepanels on the Reebok template either, I've cross-checked pictures from both comps and it looks like there was a single seam down each side. Everything else (white numbers, no back sponsor, etc.) is all correct for both comps though.
View attachment 2001861
View attachment 2001869
View attachment 2001871
View attachment 2001873

Hey Mero, just curious as to whether you've ever considered adding the VFA/VFL teams to the website in the same vein as the SANFL and WAFL teams?

This is a photo of when Carlton were sponsored by Hyundai and Mars. Whenever they were the away team but wore their home jumper because it wasn’t a clash they’d invert the sponsor and Mars would be on the front. I’ve noticed that hasn’t been depicted at all on the sight.

I also think West Coast used to swap SGIO and HJ’s quite a bit as well.
IMG_5301.jpeg
IMG_5299.jpeg IMG_5300.jpeg

This is a photo of when Carlton were sponsored by Hyundai and Mars. Whenever they were the away team but wore their home jumper because it wasn’t a clash they’d invert the sponsor and Mars would be on the front. I’ve noticed that hasn’t been depicted at all on the sight.

I also think West Coast used to swap SGIO and HJ’s quite a bit as well.
View attachment 2013289
View attachment 2013290View attachment 2013291
I do them in the Season by Season.
Here for example: https://footyjumpers.com/carlton2013.htm

But it seems confusing to call it an Away jumper when it's really the Home jumper with sponsors swapped.

Collingwood & Essendon have the same thing. Home jumpers with Away sponsors.

But it seems confusing to call it an Away jumper when it's really the Home jumper with sponsors swapped.

Back in the no-sponsors FJ.com era I would agree, but now I would argue it’s no different to a home jumper with a GF patch on it, which is deemed worthy of inclusion.

It seems conspicuous by its absence more than anything

Is it maybe worth having a think about having “away” and “clash” jumpers in seperate categories moving forward?

Is it maybe worth having a think about having “away” and “clash” jumpers in seperate categories moving forward?
But then the issue here is, what distinguishes an 'away' guernsey from a 'clash' guernsey? If the away section is just going to have home guernseys with different sponsors, there wouldn't be too much of a point.

But then the issue here is, what distinguishes an 'away' guernsey from a 'clash' guernsey? If the away section is just going to have home guernseys with different sponsors, there wouldn't be too much of a point.
I would do it like this:
An "away jumper" is the following:

"When a club has only one alternate jumper for a season". E.g The Melbourne Demons Royal Blue jumper is an away jumper because they have no third jumper.
or
"When a club uses inverse sponsors on their home jumper" E.g what Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, and West Coast have been doing for some time,

A "clash jumper is the following:

"When a club uses inverse sponsors on their home jumper, thus making their alternate jumper a clash jumper as opposed to an away one". E.g Collingwoods white jumper.
or
"When a club has three jumpers for a season, the clash jumper is the jumper which is either predominately white, or predominately made up of a colour which is not a traditional club colour". E.g The Fitzroy coloured jumper is Brisbanes away jumper, whilst a white one would be the clash".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would do it like this:
An "away jumper" is the following:

"When a club has only one alternate jumper for a season". E.g The Melbourne Demons Royal Blue jumper is an away jumper because they have no third jumper.
or
"When a club uses inverse sponsors on their home jumper" E.g what Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, and West Coast have been doing for some time,

A "clash jumper is the following:

"When a club uses inverse sponsors on their home jumper, thus making their alternate jumper a clash jumper as opposed to an away one". E.g Collingwoods white jumper.
or
"When a club has three jumpers for a season, the clash jumper is the jumper which is either predominately white, or predominately made up of a colour which is not a traditional club colour". E.g The Fitzroy coloured jumper is Brisbanes away jumper, whilst a white one would be the clash".

I would argue an away is worn by default in away games (e.g. Adelaide, North Melb 2000s) whereas the clash is worn only by necessity

I would argue an away is worn by default in away games (e.g. Adelaide, North Melb 2000s) whereas the clash is worn only by necessity
If a team (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast) have the luxury of being able to wear their home jumpers all the time and invert the sponsors then I'd argue their "away" jumpers are in fact clash jumpers because they're worn out of necessity.

We all know that Collingwood will only do things out of necessity. If a team has an inverse sponsor jumper and that jumper only appears whenever its not a jumper clash and they're not the home team I argue that jumper is an away jumper.

We all know that Collingwood will only do things out of necessity. If a team has an inverse sponsor jumper and that jumper only appears whenever its not a jumper clash and they're not the home team I argue that jumper is an away jumper.
Collingwood are the team out of the Big 4 that are more than happy to wear their clash strip.

If a team (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast) have the luxury of being able to wear their home jumpers all the time and invert the sponsors then I'd argue their "away" jumpers are in fact clash jumpers because they're worn out of necessity.

I disagree on that last point. Collingwood is the only traditional Vic team that will willingly wear their clash jumper at any opportunity. They’ve been doing it since 2007.

It’s a tired old trope that they aren’t willing to wear a clash strip compared to other Vic teams

That's been my definition.
Away - worn in all Away games.
Clash - Worn when the Home clashes with the opposition's Home jumper.

So what is a Home jumper with sponsors swapped...? I guess technically it's an Away jumper, but it's only the sponsors that define that.

I disagree on that last point. Collingwood is the only traditional Vic team that will willingly wear their clash jumper at any opportunity. They’ve been doing it since 2007.

It’s a tired old trope that they aren’t willing to wear a clash strip compared to other Vic teams
One of my least favourite arguments I hear in the prison bar debate is when people mention Collingwood not having a clash jumper. Collingwood’s clash jumper is literally one of the most effective in the entire league and still looks like an equally strong part of the brand as the home jumper. I’m sure there’s instances where Collingwood should’ve worn their clash jumper and didn’t, as would be the case for most clubs. But I mean look at ANZAC Day, the biggest H&A game of every season and yet Essendon have never worn a clash jumper in it while Collingwood usually have.
I’m weirdly passionate about this given it’s not my club being talked about, but idk I just don’t appreciate people being disingenuous and presenting something that isn’t true as if it is. And obviously this isn’t directed at you Gibbsy given we are in agreement on this topic.

Unrelated to the question because I’m not sure the answer, but it looks like there’s at least one home jumper missing with the AFL logo. Can’t remember who would be the sponsor, but I assume it’s missing due to the switch to jumpers with logos.

Unrelated to the question because I’m not sure the answer, but it looks like there’s at least one home jumper missing with the AFL logo. Can’t remember who would be the sponsor, but I assume it’s missing due to the switch to jumpers with logos.
It’s the Oz Child/ MBF jumpers of 1994/95. They’re in the season by season section of the site.

I've been updating Hawthorn.
Some of the file names have changed.
Where one jumper spanned across a number of seasons, now, with new sponsors I need to edit the individual pages.
The Season by Season looks like this.
I will get to the individual pages Home Away etc some time this week.

PS Yes, today's jumpers are made out of polyester, often blended with something else.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back