Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the insight Mero . Hope you’ve enjoyed your time back in Aus!

Was there any talk on the proper application of clash jumpers (a.k.a Carlton / Richmond / Essendon away to each other) or was it just around the number of jumpers themselves?
Definitely that clash jumpers in club colour's do not solve the clash issue and that they're looking at clubs adopting fashion based clash designs in non club colours

Definitely that clash jumpers in club colour's do not solve the clash issue and that they're looking at clubs adopting fashion based clash designs in non club colours

Footy is probably the only sport that hasn't adopted that ideal to be fair (non-club colours). Maybe ice hockey? Not too sure. But it's been a success everywhere else.

Just look at the Pink (Penrith) Panthers wearing their strip this weekend, in a grand final no less.

Footy is probably the only sport that hasn't adopted that ideal to be fair (non-club colours). Maybe ice hockey? Not too sure. But it's been a success everywhere else.

Just look at the Pink (Penrith) Panthers wearing their strip this weekend, in a grand final no less.
I think NRL are in the same boat as us, with Penrith being the exception. But Penrith have been wearing the pink for so long now that everyone just sees it as a club colour.

NFL hasn’t done non club colours. MLB has only just started to but not every team has done it and the response is starting to get mixed with more and more teams doing it.

Home, Clash, Anzac next year, two Indigenous, Retro, Gather, Charity/Social and Event/club

Carlton had members jumper, Collingwood a Pendlebury 400. Essendon Heppels last Gane etc.
I'm strongly in favour of scrapping the ANZAC themed jumpers, with the exception of adding a small red poppy at the top.

I think NRL are in the same boat as us, with Penrith being the exception. But Penrith have been wearing the pink for so long now that everyone just sees it as a club colour.
Longevity is so important for building acceptance, but it stands in absolute contradiction of the desire to turn designs over and always be pumping out something new every year for max $$$.

The old rule of "Are you willing to wear this in a grand final?" could be sorely tested.

I'm strongly in favour of scrapping the ANZAC themed jumpers, with the exception of adding a small red poppy at the top.
I think this is the best way to do things, no issue with emblems and especially for Anzac Day where it has a quiet dignity to it.

Thing I hate is clubs diluting their image. North Melbourne in lime and purple on the day they've made their own and petitioned so long for is nuts. they've got an unreal identity. 'Kangaroos' is a great nickname, the colours are noticeable and bold and work in a variety of applications, and they have three core designs that are completely their own, associated with history (and)or success, and look good.

We all like the heritage designs but they're getting to a bit of a messy point now. the Bulldogs, Fremantle, and Geelong have excelled at it and it'd be a shame to see those gone but there's just not enough cohesion to it.

And this will be an unpopular opinion, and they're far and away the most popular design for kids and you see them constantly on the way to and at games, but Indigenous Round looks are feeling a bit tired and I really don't like how it takes up nearly a tenth of jumper wears.

Would be happy to see clubs have a tight policy (like the NBA and Nike) where it's a home, a clash, and I think Gather Round should be an all or nothing regular strips or competition wide one-offs, and a club occasion. the Anzac stuff is looking tacky and considering the clubs associated and involved, their historical looks are a more poignant remembrance of the servicesmen who wore them and the sense of time and resilience they represent. the pre game services are all really well done and I think that's enough of a 'point of difference.' one more option at the club's discretion and I think you're right on. four looks is more than enough for a 24 round competition.

Ultimately if clubs care about a look that much, they should dedicate some prominence to it. if you want to make your 120th year an occasion, then accept that it'll be part of the yearly rotation.

Reality is it's skewed in terms of potential. St Kilda, Sydney, North routinely deliver really good clashes and one-offs that could be permanent alternative solutions. Brisbane have just never really fully aligned but they have a lot of potential; Bullies have great colours and things to play with. Richmond and Collingwood are pretty reliable in keeping designs for nearly a decade, Essendon don't know what they want to do, Carlton seem in no-mans land, and Melbourne seem in a tussle between maintaining the navy/80s TV designs as core to playing around with things.

I dunno, the one thing good about the Premier League is there's an enforcement of numbers and the NBA has a league wide deal where things seem a little more cohesive.

Think there's just a lack of foresight and a giddiness to reward the frontal lobe with a lot of these clubs. I've been wanting to see Hawthorn in the yellow back with block socks for nearly 15 years now and they refuse to tinker. why can't you play around with core elements and sustain that for a few years? all we end up with is great designs being used once and somehow shithouse away ploys hanging around for three years.

Also, just finally because this is already a short form long form, the idea of 'fashion items' is ludicrous. the only people who wear jumpers are kids and the kindness of allowance for the age of wearing jumpers has only increased. soccer strips work because they're t-shirts and have firmly been part of a look with jeans and sneakers for nearly 40 years; basketball jerseys seem a staple own for everyone just because, I dunno, I guess they're comfy around the house on a 40 degree Saturday?

The one thing very very unique to AFL and supporter wear is the absolute love for the vintage stuff. people will devotedly dip 400 dollars to a 1995 Arsenal home but they're less likely to pay the same for a drill top. people in Australia, across most sports, really seem to like owning a 1999 North Melbourne Nike cap or a coach's jacket from Adelaide's adidas days.

The faux-throwback shit is mostly tat and a poor attempt at recapturing a past no one quite believes.

You're not going to get a nice, well made cotton tee with some good stitching and a sturdy neckline and a print someone physically had to hold down on.

I think if clubs want to make money in this regard, they should concentrate on the off-field stuff and limited releases. Arsenal have about three ranges of training and benchwear but it never feels too much. there's a sense that it's optional; it doesn't feel like waste.

Pre-game warm up tops with an associated training range complete with a scarf, hat, a couple of tees is easy to market (because they're all based off a concept) and sell well. people also want to walk around in the garb of a major brand, too, and clubs should accept a minimal cash deal to get those brands in exchange for fans being keen to get the new training range because it's got the stripes, swoosh, or NB slice.

I have had plenty of ideas about this. as well intentioned as these young kids in marketing jobs at AFL clubs are, they just don't... really get it... I remember Freo launching the tricolour retro with a California, nana's idea of skateboarding photoshoot. made absolutely no sense.

There's plenty of scope to trot out in the same home jumper you've worn forever with a clash that's been seen before and adapts every few years and to make the associated merch the unique signifier. bring out a pre-season, 'start of year' range in January, mid-season play something else up, and end of year go for something too.

There is just a real look and feel to footy stuff that's close but... ain't it.

I think this is the best way to do things, no issue with emblems and especially for Anzac Day where it has a quiet dignity to it.

Thing I hate is clubs diluting their image. North Melbourne in lime and purple on the day they've made their own and petitioned so long for is nuts. they've got an unreal identity. 'Kangaroos' is a great nickname, the colours are noticeable and bold and work in a variety of applications, and they have three core designs that are completely their own, associated with history (and)or success, and look good.

We all like the heritage designs but they're getting to a bit of a messy point now. the Bulldogs, Fremantle, and Geelong have excelled at it and it'd be a shame to see those gone but there's just not enough cohesion to it.

And this will be an unpopular opinion, and they're far and away the most popular design for kids and you see them constantly on the way to and at games, but Indigenous Round looks are feeling a bit tired and I really don't like how it takes up nearly a tenth of jumper wears.

Would be happy to see clubs have a tight policy (like the NBA and Nike) where it's a home, a clash, and I think Gather Round should be an all or nothing regular strips or competition wide one-offs, and a club occasion. the Anzac stuff is looking tacky and considering the clubs associated and involved, their historical looks are a more poignant remembrance of the servicesmen who wore them and the sense of time and resilience they represent. the pre game services are all really well done and I think that's enough of a 'point of difference.' one more option at the club's discretion and I think you're right on. four looks is more than enough for a 24 round competition.

Ultimately if clubs care about a look that much, they should dedicate some prominence to it. if you want to make your 120th year an occasion, then accept that it'll be part of the yearly rotation.

Reality is it's skewed in terms of potential. St Kilda, Sydney, North routinely deliver really good clashes and one-offs that could be permanent alternative solutions. Brisbane have just never really fully aligned but they have a lot of potential; Bullies have great colours and things to play with. Richmond and Collingwood are pretty reliable in keeping designs for nearly a decade, Essendon don't know what they want to do, Carlton seem in no-mans land, and Melbourne seem in a tussle between maintaining the navy/80s TV designs as core to playing around with things.

I dunno, the one thing good about the Premier League is there's an enforcement of numbers and the NBA has a league wide deal where things seem a little more cohesive.

Think there's just a lack of foresight and a giddiness to reward the frontal lobe with a lot of these clubs. I've been wanting to see Hawthorn in the yellow back with block socks for nearly 15 years now and they refuse to tinker. why can't you play around with core elements and sustain that for a few years? all we end up with is great designs being used once and somehow shithouse away ploys hanging around for three years.

Also, just finally because this is already a short form long form, the idea of 'fashion items' is ludicrous. the only people who wear jumpers are kids and the kindness of allowance for the age of wearing jumpers has only increased. soccer strips work because they're t-shirts and have firmly been part of a look with jeans and sneakers for nearly 40 years; basketball jerseys seem a staple own for everyone just because, I dunno, I guess they're comfy around the house on a 40 degree Saturday?

The one thing very very unique to AFL and supporter wear is the absolute love for the vintage stuff. people will devotedly dip 400 dollars to a 1995 Arsenal home but they're less likely to pay the same for a drill top. people in Australia, across most sports, really seem to like owning a 1999 North Melbourne Nike cap or a coach's jacket from Adelaide's adidas days.

The faux-throwback shit is mostly tat and a poor attempt at recapturing a past no one quite believes.

You're not going to get a nice, well made cotton tee with some good stitching and a sturdy neckline and a print someone physically had to hold down on.

I think if clubs want to make money in this regard, they should concentrate on the off-field stuff and limited releases. Arsenal have about three ranges of training and benchwear but it never feels too much. there's a sense that it's optional; it doesn't feel like waste.

Pre-game warm up tops with an associated training range complete with a scarf, hat, a couple of tees is easy to market (because they're all based off a concept) and sell well. people also want to walk around in the garb of a major brand, too, and clubs should accept a minimal cash deal to get those brands in exchange for fans being keen to get the new training range because it's got the stripes, swoosh, or NB slice.

I have had plenty of ideas about this. as well intentioned as these young kids in marketing jobs at AFL clubs are, they just don't... really get it... I remember Freo launching the tricolour retro with a California, nana's idea of skateboarding photoshoot. made absolutely no sense.

There's plenty of scope to trot out in the same home jumper you've worn forever with a clash that's been seen before and adapts every few years and to make the associated merch the unique signifier. bring out a pre-season, 'start of year' range in January, mid-season play something else up, and end of year go for something too.

There is just a real look and feel to footy stuff that's close but... ain't it.
Great read and well articulated. I agree with a lot of what you said regarding the ANZAC jumpers and clash jumpers (how the type of apparel is worn differently by fan bases in EPL compared to AFL).

The only thing I’d disagree with would be the Indigenous jumpers. To me, this is one of the more successful ventures the AFL has gone down with how it talks about First Nations people and how different artists have had the opportunity to talk about their ancestors stories. It’s also very uniquely Australian while still maintaining the club’s colours and identity. It’s had a huge impact on grass roots level and how local community clubs have embraced local artists to make everyone feel involved. The culture of a local footy club has certainly changed (for the better) due to these kinds of things added with the introduction of women’s footy, mental health initiatives etc.

I do agree though that there are just too many jumpers in general. If it were up to me, I’d just want Home / Clash / Indigenous / Club One-off (Promotion)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if you haven’t got around to it yet but an awful lot of North Melb jumpers in the Home, Away, Preseason, Promotional and Indigenous sections don’t have AFL logos or sponsors on them.

Not sure if you haven’t got around to it yet but an awful lot of North Melb jumpers in the Home, Away, Preseason, Promotional and Indigenous sections don’t have AFL logos or sponsors on them.
In the process of doing North.
I've made it to 2009 in the Season by Season.
Some file names will have already changed, others will be the no sponsor version.
That should be completed by December.
Then on to the AFLW jumpers, adding sponsor logos to them.
Plus I have to add the GF uniforms and jumpers and update B&F on each 2024 uniform page

Last edited:
Surprises me that they'd be looking to decrease the number of jumpers while also trying to make clash jumpers a bit more radical. I feel like we're at a decent spot with most clubs having home, clash, indigenous, throwback, maybe an anzac and maybe another special jumper which would mean no club would have more than 7 jumpers in a season. Then again when you compare that to sports with bigger fixtures, the NBA has 82 regular season games per team and it's never more than 6 uniforms per team and in soccer where a team could feasibly play almost 50 games in a season there's only a handful of clubs who have a 4th kit. So maybe there's good reason to shrink the number of kits in the AFL but it would be kind of futile if the matchups between teams are going to be super inconsistent.
Most clubs should have a predominantly warm coloured guernsey and a predominantly cool coloured guernsey, would sort out the clash issue. West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, etc have that option. Some clubs that use neutral colours should just use contrasting dark and light neutral colours as their home and clash. Also, I don't get why Brisbane wear 3 predominately warm colour guernseys and no cool coloured guernsey as a clash.

hey mero, just noticed that there's a slight error in the monogram on the 1998-2005 Carlton home guernsey

part of the f and c is connected to each other when it was in fact separate:

Carlton-2000.gif

2000-carlton-blues-home-guernsey.jpg

View attachment 2123783View attachment 2123784
This jumper Bernie Quinlan is wearing is 1981 Brownlow medal winning season. The sponsor matches the one you have. But the yoke in Bernie’s goes through the VFL logo and the FFC is much larger on Bernie’s guernsey.
Fitzroy had many wonderful jumpers but whoever was in charge of them really liked to change them often.
I'm going to suggest Bernie is an old jumper with the 1981 sponsor logos sewn on.
Most likely this is a training jumper.
The 1981 jumpers are different to 1980, and are added to the website.
1729295058734.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back