www.portadelaidefc.com.au quick quiz

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Mudholian:
OK, who can state what the earliest photo on the banner is...
If you can, please explain how come:
a) lucky guess (1 point)
b) asked someone else (2 Points)
c) you are in it (10 points)
MH

it would be the team photo on the far left
i dunno what year tho!

Its the team photo in the corner. If you look at the header its goes from old to new with the team photo in the LH corner all the way to Tredders in the other corner.

Mudholian, I tend to agree with PA1870, I know the team changed the guernsey a few times in the late 40's early 50's. I thought the 39 team wore the same guernsey as the one worn today.

If I had to have a guess I would say its the 51 team but I'm not sure. I have got a book that show all the guernsey worn by port through the years, but I'm having trouble finding it. If I find it I will let you know which team it was.

Otherwise I think in the foyer of the club rooms they have the team pictures of every Port side through the years. Your answer might be there.

[This message has been edited by carb70 (edited 27 January 2001).]

Originally posted by carb70:
Mudholian, I tend to agree with PA1870, I know the team changed the guernsey a few times in the late 40's early 50's. I thought the 39 team wore the same guernsey as the one worn today.

If I had to have a guess I would say its the 51 team but I'm not sure. I have got a book that show all the guernsey worn by port through the years, but I'm having trouble finding it. If I find it I will let you know which team it was.

Otherwise I think in the foyer of the club rooms they have the team pictures of every Port side through the years. Your answer might be there.

[This message has been edited by carb70 (edited 27 January 2001).]

1951 it is - I'm pretty sure this pic can be found in Dynasty on page 55. First Fos Willaims peremiership, end of drought, etc, I'm sure most of us have the book anyway.
MH

Yeah Mudholian, I found that picture in Dynasty as well, but I was talking about another book, published in the early 90's. The book was about our history from 1925-90, But you probably have that book as well.

Originally posted by carb70:
Yeah Mudholian, I found that picture in Dynasty as well, but I was talking about another book, published in the early 90's. The book was about our history from 1925-90, But you probably have that book as well.

The book you are referring to

Bound for Glory : The story of the Port Adelaide Football club, 1939 - 1990
By John Wood.

Others published by John Wood included
Simply the Best : the history of the Port Adelaide Football club, 1870 - 1901
part of a trilogy that was to include a revamped Bound for glory 1939-1995 with a section on Ports failed AFL bid and their subsequent acceptance by John Wood and the AFL bids bit by Michaelangelo Rucci.
and the History of the PAFC 1902 - 1938 these two last 'books ' are still on disk and owned by Roger Hayes of Hayes catering....The Magpie Souvenier man in the Black Caravan.

He has approached the club to assist in publishing the final two chapters but they refused on cost...Mr, Hayes purchased the disks after John Woods death...
The only book that was published of the trilogy was Simply the best 1870 - 1901
The club wanted little to do with them due to disputes with John Woods estate over financial situation of the books and returns, promotions etc..that is why the Black caravan is the selling point now.

Other books by J Wood included,

The "Gentleman Jack" the Johnny Cahill Story 1958 - 1982
he also assisted in the North Adelaide centenary book of 1992 ?
The Glenelg Book, some assistance in West Adelaides' "Blood Sweat and Tears " from the early 80's.

Produced Ports first Year book in the Early 80's was the Editor of the Magpie news for most of its life.

and published the "History of the Magarey Medal"

PA1870

Originally posted by Port Adelaide 1870:
The book you are referring to

Bound for Glory : The story of the Port Adelaide Football club, 1939 - 1990
By John Wood.

Others published by John Wood included
Simply the Best : the history of the Port Adelaide Football club, 1870 - 1901
part of a trilogy that was to include a revamped Bound for glory 1939-1995 with a section on Ports failed AFL bid and their subsequent acceptance by John Wood and the AFL bids bit by Michaelangelo Rucci.
and the History of the PAFC 1902 - 1938 these two last 'books ' are still on disk and owned by Roger Hayes of Hayes catering....The Magpie Souvenier man in the Black Caravan.

He has approached the club to assist in publishing the final two chapters but they refused on cost...Mr, Hayes purchased the disks after John Woods death...
The only book that was published of the trilogy was Simply the best 1870 - 1901
The club wanted little to do with them due to disputes with John Woods estate over financial situation of the books and returns, promotions etc..that is why the Black caravan is the selling point now.

Other books by J Wood included,

The "Gentleman Jack" the Johnny Cahill Story 1958 - 1982
he also assisted in the North Adelaide centenary book of 1992 ?
The Glenelg Book, some assistance in West Adelaides' "Blood Sweat and Tears " from the early 80's.

Produced Ports first Year book in the Early 80's was the Editor of the Magpie news for most of its life.

and published the "History of the Magarey Medal"

PA1870

Thanks PA1870. that's most interesting, and also very sad. I met John when he launched the Magarey Medal book in 1988, and I also got a signed copy of Gentleman Jack. He planned to update this after Cahill took over in 88, I guess there were a lot of projects that never got finished.
MH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back