Xavier Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the blokes 2nd year essentially and you want to write him off?

"Hey X man, you have taken over Smiths position on the field, and the whipping boy off the field. congrats mate".

Jesus threads like this shit me. Even Richmond fans have more faith in Tambling then we do in Ellis. If this guy was 25, in the peak of his career I would be worried, but right now in ROUND 2 of all places I do not have a care in the world.

You better have some pants of steel because this thread will bite alot of people in the ass.

Couldn't of said it any better Roughie..... Well Said!

gee i dont come onto this board much but im a bit bored today and this thread caught my eye. Can't believe people getting into XEllis. Sure I agree at the moment he still has alot of work to do on his body and other aspects of his game but the kid is pure class. His game against Fremantle was good. Some people expect so much of a high draft pick its unrealistic. Any pick, even a number 1 pick, that can get a regular spot in your starting 22 is to my mind a success, given the high hit/miss ratio over the years with even top 10 picks. Given Ellis is getting regular games in only his second season at the age of 20 is extremely promising for him and the club. Even if he spends some time this year with BH and is in and out of the side I would still say he would have met or exceeded expectations within the coaching group and that he has a great future as a Hawk.

just browsing this thread because i have a keen interest in X (dream team), after watching the game on the weekend im suprised at the outburst by a lot of people here. For a 20yr old with 15 games under his belt, the level of scrutiny he is under is amazing. At freo i wish we had someone of his calibre at his age. 2 games is a little early to jump up and down about.. i mean we have lost 2 and im not too worried yet. He will come good, freo will come good too :)

good luck with the rest of the season.. ps i rekon u guys have the premiership this year

just browsing this thread because i have a keen interest in X (dream team), after watching the game on the weekend im suprised at the outburst by a lot of people here. For a 20yr old with 15 games under his belt, the level of scrutiny he is under is amazing. At freo i wish we had someone of his calibre at his age. 2 games is a little early to jump up and down about.. i mean we have lost 2 and im not too worried yet. He will come good, freo will come good too :)

good luck with the rest of the season.. ps i rekon u guys have the premiership this year

You'll find this type of supporter at most clubs and under rocks in many suburban gardens. :)

Criticism of Ellis is unfair. He has been improving every time i see him play. He has room for improvement like every young player, I am sure every hawks supporter would like to see X take them on more and back himself. However he has one thing that you either have or you don't that you can not improve on and that is footy smarts and poise. When he gets his body right and gets used to the pace of the game, he will be a gun. He has alleady bulked up on last year and has shown courage in every game.
I also like the way Clarko shows faith in him, it reminds me of the way he treated Rick Ladson in 2005, he continued to play him because he knew he had class and potential and just needed self belief which is gained by playing consistently at the top level. Rick is now a starting 18 player that has finished in the top ten in the best and fairest the last 2 years. It would not surprise me if X did the same.
Having said all that when we are at full strength then X's position will be under the micrascope, particularly against the bigger boddied sides such as Geelong and Sydney, but we are not at full strength yet and I would expect stokes to go out before the Xman.

Nobodys saying anything horrible about Ellis nor is anybody calling him sh*t. He didnt have a really good game in Saturday and people should build a bridge and move on. Xavier Ellis is so young and is playing so well for such a young kid.

The X man will be fine, only lacking a bit of weight. The only thing I've been disappointed with was that he didn't put on much weight over summer. Don't really think we'll see what he's really able to do till he fills out. Not a slow developer just not as quick as some mentioned

Jesus threads like this shit me. Even Richmond fans have more faith in Tambling then we do in Ellis.

Tambling is crap too. Just becoz u have faith in a player doesnt make him any good.

I hope Ellis will be good but he looks pretty average to me and I think that is disappointing coz I had hoped for more from him and Dowler. At least Ellis is still a chance of being a good player.

Tambling is crap too. Just becoz u have faith in a player doesnt make him any good.

I hope Ellis will be good but he looks pretty average to me and I think that is disappointing coz I had hoped for more from him and Dowler. At least Ellis is still a chance of being a good player.

Chrissie, you obviously don't impress easily. Whilst we are obviously all entightled to our opinions, I am however surprised you'd say Ellis looks average.

I think he's shown enough in glimpses to suggest he'll be a lot better than average, he just needs time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand what u mean. Goddard is crap. If they had their pick again they would not have picked him.

Goddard is shit? Its people like you, who put pressure on kids and high draft picks to imediatly perform. Goddard was having a good year last season untill doing his knee, ask Saint fans if they wished he was back. Before you make opinions on other teams maybe you should watch a game of theirs. Goddard began making the wing his position, and started becoming comfortable with the way he was playing.

The point was you have to be patient. If your prepared to write Ellis off, why are we still holding on to Dowler? Does this mean if Thorp doesnt play this year you want him out? Ellis has been great, its practically his 2nd season. He has a spot in the starting 22, and is growing with every game. He has started the season slow, but I guarantee your opinion will change by round 22.

You are an idiot, if brains were dynamite you would be safe.

What I am saying is, Ellis has shown more then Tambling and we are prepared to write him off as Tiger fans get behind their own.

Now your ragging on Dowler? Break your pelvis, and step into senior football and tell me how you go?

Xavier Ellis will undoubtedly shut his knockers up within a couple of years.
When are we going to learn? He's played all of 15 games.
He is one solid game away from the next phase in his career.

Hello eveyone, haven't posted for a long time because of personal reasons. but I don't like this thread.. The X-man IS a good player and IS contributing and executing.. He WILL also GET better and BETTER, and I reckon if you judge him harshly, be prepared to wear EGG on your face.. "LEAVE THE KID ALONE" a wiseman once said.... because kids grow, and this one will IMPROVE....THAT IS A 100% CERTAINTY. Those that think he's not playing well are only focusing on his mistakes.. 2,,3,,,maybe even 4...... but you forget to count on his positive contributions.. like winning the ball back, blocking for teamates, putting that light frame into a contest, the assists into the forward line. There has been far more positives in his 2games so far than CLANGERS.... watch with an open mind rather than with the thought that he's always making mistakes, because in the end thats all you are FOCUSING on..... GO the HAWKERS!!!!!! go the x-man

The X man will be fine, only lacking a bit of weight. The only thing I've been disappointed with was that he didn't put on much weight over summer. Don't really think we'll see what he's really able to do till he fills out. Not a slow developer just not as quick as some mentioned

IIRC he managed to put on 8kg since the start of last season (ie from rd.1 to rd.1). That was third only to Bailey (14kg!) and Dawson (13kg).

On height/weight stats he's still slight, but there are others his size that are playing AFL.

The poorer we play as a team, the better he will look. When we don't notice him, is when we are winning easily. In that regards, he is similar to Clarke (near the best player in a bad side, virtually superfluous in an excellent side)

Ellis is def in our best 22 in my opinion . He continues to improve in only his second year of playing senior footy and looks so comfortable running out of half back and finding space .

After Pendlebury (probably wouldn't have gone before 12 if not for Pies) and Ryder (undersized ruck at the time) who would you prefer from the draft ?

Drum, Hurn & Jones are surplus to your needs, J-ON is a spud, Kennedy & Clark show promise but are still a couple of years away (not that you have any real need for another tall forward) and you already have Birchall. Rioli is better than Varcoe so no point there.

it was a very even draft with one clear standout at the time (Murphy) and will all take there time developing at different rates, Ellis will take time to not only put on the size but also gain confidence at the highest level

After Pendlebury (probably wouldn't have gone before 12 if not for Pies) and Ryder (undersized ruck at the time) who would you prefer from the draft ?

Drum, Hurn & Jones are surplus to your needs, J-ON is a spud, Kennedy & Clark show promise but are still a couple of years away (not that you have any real need for another tall forward) and you already have Birchall. Rioli is better than Varcoe so no point there.

it was a very even draft with one clear standout at the time (Murphy) and will all take there time developing at different rates, Ellis will take time to not only put on the size but also gain confidence at the highest level

Its funny that a West Coast supporter seems to put in perspective for some of the Ellis doubters. Good post, and something to think about for some of the fans. I just hope Ellis doesnt get the whipping boy treatment some of our players have.

same sort of build as luke power from brissy, and as years progress, will move more into the midfield and become more important, like how power is to the lions. he needs another 1-2 years in the gym to build strength, but in the long run hopefully he can turn out to be a gun!

Remember back to our NAB cup loss to Adelaide when Ellis was running back (away from our goals) into our defence being pursued by 2 crow players - he managed to side-step two of them and then run clear of them and advance the ball forward.

Five minutes later he did the same thing again!

I don't care who you are - that's impressive!

You can't teach a player to have footy smarts.

Ellis has turned the ball over on a few occassions, but the upside to his game far outweighs his negatives.
I remember seeing Mitchell kicking into the man on the mark in his first game and thinking what kind of ******* can't judge how far to go back on his mark before kicking over the man on the mark.

I was one person who declared earlier this year that people would jump on the Dew-bandwagon.
I have no doubt that by the end of this year, people will be jumping on the Ellis-bandwagon.

People are often forgetting that players like Ellis and Dowler have been brought through our system differently to the Franklins, Lewis and Rougheads who were fast tracked into our team in 2005 because we lacked talent.

Dowler would prefer the silver service delivery of the footy from our class on ballers, compared to not getting a sniff of the ball playing with Box Hill ( no disrepect intended, but BHH do struggle!). Unfortunately for Dowler (& Thorp) he has to earn his spot, because Boyle has justified his spot in the team at this point in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Xavier Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back