Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Purely hypothetical - Had australia grown up with one code I think the top two divisions would have looked like this. I have put composite/merged teams in bold and possible contendors for 'top team' in italics, had the compsite teams never come about

Premier division
QLD - Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Lions
WA - West coast eagles, Fremantle (Subiaco, West Perth)
SA - Adelaide, Port Adelaide (Norwood)
NSW metro - Canterbury, Penrith, St George Sydney Roosters Sydney Swans
NSW country - Newcastle Knights
Vic Metro - Collingwood Essendon Richmond Carlton Hawthorn Melbourne Storm (Melbourne)
Vic Country - Geelong
ACT Canberra Raiders
NZ - Aukland

2nd division
QLD country - Nth Qld raiders
WA - East Perth Perth Glory Claremont
NSW metro - Wests Tigers Cronulla Parramatta Manly Souths
NSW country - Illawarra
SA - Sturt Glenelg
Vic Metro - St Kilda Kangaroos South Melbourne Bulldogs Fitzroy Port Melbourne
PNG Port Moresby
NZ - Wellington

What were you hoping to achieve with this.

You gave Victoria more teams than NSW and WA has more teams than Queensland even though WA is less than half the size of QLD...

the problem with your logic is that teams like the Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm were created to be rivals to the more accepted sports in those states. If all of Australia had grown up with AFL, then there would be no need for these clubs to be created.

Hes rating how sucessful the clubs have been, and IF they had played one sport
i think freo would be in second division actually, they havent accomplished much, if your going to put kangaroos in seconds, freo should be as well

I tis purely hypothetical and i would have hypothetical promotion and demotion.

It does show why the majority of AFL clubs are in vic and the majority of NRL clubs are in NSW. It also shows demographics can only go so far underlined by the fact (as someone mentioned) qld has few LARGE clubs despite demographically being equal second after NSW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually recall reading an interesting thread on BF and accompanying article about how a hybrid Rugby League/Aussie Rules code was mooted back in the early 20th Century, even as late as the 30s with ideas exchanged between Sydney and Melbourne. Ofcourse it was just an idea and never came to fruitition. Anyone know what I'm on about?

What was the point of this make beleive thread.

If you are bored, make up a hypothetical list of all GF matches and winners since 1897 with all of those teams in contention.

I actually recall reading an interesting thread on BF and accompanying article about how a hybrid Rugby League/Aussie Rules code was mooted back in the early 20th Century, even as late as the 30s with ideas exchanged between Sydney and Melbourne. Ofcourse it was just an idea and never came to fruitition. Anyone know what I'm on about?

Yes , but my memories as good as yours .
Also after WW2 there was a hybrid AFL/NFL game played in Melbourne which is on the tip of my tongue but still can't recall it .

Premier division
QLD - Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Lions
WA - West coast eagles, Fremantle (Subiaco, West Perth)
SA - Adelaide, Port Adelaide (Norwood)
NSW metro - Canterbury, Penrith, St George Sydney Roosters Sydney Swans
NSW country - Newcastle Knights
Vic Metro - Collingwood Essendon Richmond Carlton Hawthorn Melbourne Storm (Melbourne)
Vic Country - Geelong
ACT Canberra Raiders
NZ - Aukland

2nd division
QLD country - Nth Qld raiders
WA - East Perth Perth Glory Claremont
NSW metro - Wests Tigers Cronulla Parramatta Manly Souths
NSW country - Illawarra
SA - Sturt Glenelg
Vic Metro - St Kilda Kangaroos South Melbourne Bulldogs Fitzroy Port Melbourne
PNG Port Moresby
NZ - Wellington

NO Broncos because they came in as a result of the NRL which came in as a result of the AFL.
No Swans , Lions , Eagles , Dockers and Crows because they came in as a result of the AFL .
As far as i know PNG and NZ aren't parts of Australia yet .
No NSL teams as they are a modern invention

But you'd have the top ,
2 from WA
2 from SA
3 from Melbourne + Geelong , Ballarat
3 from Sydney + Newcastle , Woolongong
Canbera , Tasmania
2 from Brisbane + GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet another National league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back