Your favourite all time players from .. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Very underrated player.
Were you annoyed when he went to North and won a flag?

I was.

I always thought both Robert Scott and fellow small man Sean Denham were excellent prospects, and I was very disappointed to see both move on to other clubs and taste premiership success.
Geelong got a tantalising taste of their talent, but then had to watch them blossom into hard-nosed professionals at other clubs.
We did get good service from John Barnes though, whom we traded for Denham, and also from Brad Sholl, who we got for Scott.

Memories ! Like ALL your choices there, but buggered if I can recall Mick Gurrie. Was a huge fan of Butch Cassidy, very classy, and the other guy like him was Kevin Higgins.

Couple of others who I liked watching, now you've stirred the archives,
Peter Doyle-super classy, injury prone
Paul Jefferies- great attacking defender
Bernard Toohey- underrated gun HBF.

Mick Gurrie was a local boy, St Peters, played 7 games for the Cats. Same vintage as me and Spiro Malakellis (Tony was a year or two younger)

I should have also had Bewsy, Swap and Bos in my list along with Enright, Bartel :eek: Just too many.

I owned the Katamatite Post Office for a few years, Butch Cassidy's mother in law was one of our favourites. Used to knock around with Gary Cameron's brother and deliver mail to the Flanigan family dairy.

He may have been a four-letter word, or arguably even an eight-letter word, but Gary Snr was the most exciting, exhilarating footballer I've ever seen. Could do anything.

Edit: Not forgetting Paul Brown for hitting the post from point blank in the '89 reserves granny. :thumbsu:

Grant Tanner - champion mullett
Brent Moloney - pains me to see him run around for the bruise-free's but this trade was more than justified.
Paul Lynch - an early model Steve J with a screwed back.
Clint Bizzell - God II

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Single-handedly? That's a little bit short sighted.....

My favourites:
G. Ablett Senior
Billy Brownless (Probably more so post-footy)
Jimmy Bartel

Whilst Ablett Junior was electrifying and arguably the best player in the league, there was a few things about him and in reality probably more so the 2010 dramas and his defection that prevent me from calling him a favourite.

Single-handedly? That's a little bit short sighted.....

Not really. Especially when it came directly from the mouth of Mark Thompson. Single-handedly responsible for changing the culture of the football club from one who is satisfied with just being 'good', to one that is uncompromising and strives for excellence. All this, aside from being an outstanding, and their most important player.

lots of players to like from the Cats but my favorite perhaps because he is so underrated is Joel Corey...

Liked Billy back in the day for the same reasons.. thought he could have been a pretty good Full Forward stuck in Abletts shadow...

Remove this Banner Ad

Your favourite all time players from .. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back