Your Guilty Pleasures

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a metal head so see it as a guilty pleasure, but yes I agree
A bit like me and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Compared to the metal I listen to 98% of the time they're a guilty pleasure, but they're a massive commercially successful band in their own right.

City and Colour are another guilty pleasure for me.

as i get older, it's not the total opposite style of what i regularly listen to (death metal) that i have trouble admitting to. it's easy to admit to music that's seen as vapid and throwaway, it's a shock thing when i can admit janet jackson's 'control' album, jenny morris or 80's throwback stuff. it tends to be the stuff a little closer to what i listen to, that has emotions i want to hide that i'm a bit guilty about. i'm concerned i'll out myself as a goth one day.

the figurehead, live in paris has a special place in my cold dead heart

It's probably about 10 years since I heard the English version of this on a late Sunday night oldies program. It reminded me of my childhood. It was one of those tunes ("Telstar" by The Tornadoes was another), that would just make me freeze and listen spellbound.

As our only TV station was ABC regional WA, we never had the TV series "Bonanza" and so I never associated this song with the name Lorne Greene, although he was familiar later because he was the narrator of a TV nature series called "Last Of The Wild" with his similar deep authoritative tone that you hear on this tune, but also with a slightly off-putting peculiar detachment to the target audience. As I remember it, he would refer to the human race as "they/mankind", as if in some sort of empathetic way speaking from the point of view of the threaten species of wildlife we were watching on film.

NB: Read his bio to see why he was known as "the voice of doom" in his native Canada.

Anyway, I found Lorne Greene doing a French version of his classic "Ringo". It's a bit of a laugh to hear something once familiar obscured by a language I don't understand.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Guilty Pleasures

Remove this Banner Ad

Back