Your Reasons For Optimism In 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I did some sums on a bit of paper.

2013 - 2 wins
2014 - matched plus 2 = 4 wins
2015 - matched plus 3 = 7 wins

Future is clear. 2016 is 7 plus 4 so 11 wins...

After that it gets interesting, and by 2019 you can bookmark it that the Dee's will win more games than they actually play

Good on you. I enjoyed reading your personal journey over the last few years.

Personally, I recall in 2014 I was prepared to invest over $100,000+ into the MFC plus give them un-limited amounts of free advertising in an international publication I owned at the time. However, after an interesting set of circumstances I moved on, and I invested my money elsewhere .... subsequently sold the publication for a alternative project.

So .... If nothing else barracking for the MFC is part of your life experience.
Was it a time-travelling phone booth???

Fair to say Jason Taylor deserves a special mention. Building a seriously good list thats capable of dominating for the next decade.

One of the if not best recruiting manager we've ever had.

Fair to say Jason Taylor deserves a special mention. Building a seriously good list thats capable of dominating for the next decade.

Yep. And even if on the rare chance he has a misfire, B-Mac Brendan Mcartney will still turn them into a gun.

We seriously cant lose.

People can call me what they want - but I know I'm a happy optimistic positive person and whatever you want to call me is fine by me.

I like to invest my money & time into positive optimistic communities. When I see those signs I invest.

I didn't comment on your positivity/optimism. I was just pointing out that you posted 2 views which were contradictory - and in a somewhat moralistic tone. I know your type of feel-good rhetoric. You find joy in every sorrow, growth in every struggle, and all that jazz... But it's a bit rich to simultaneously talk about the negativity and defeatism of supporters as being such a blight on the club, and at the same time talking about how you jumped ship to put your resources into more worthy pursuits. They might be more worthy, yes, but it's still hypocritical. Restating time and time again what a positive person you are does not alter that fact and actually has nothing to do with it. I also find that people who continually refer to their own positivity often have the most tenuous grasp on it.

Last edited:

I know this is the optimism thread but steady on, we have only just climbed out of the bottom four.

I didn't comment on your positivity/optimism. I was just pointing out that you posted 2 views which were essentially mutually exclusive - and in a somewhat moralistic tone. I know your type of feel-good rhetoric. You find joy in every sorrow, growth in every struggle, and all that jazz... But it's a bit rich to simultaneously talk about the negativity and defeatism of supporters as being such a blight on the club, and at the same time talking about how you jumped ship to put your resources into more worthy pursuits. It might be more worthy, yes, but it's still hypocritical. Restating time and time again what a positive person you are does not alter that fact and actually has nothing to do with it. I also find that people who continually refer to their own positivity often have the most tenuous grasp on it.

Im very happy with the choices I made, and can I suggest so are the 238 kids in the orphanage.

Football is only a game but AIDS is a death sentence if you cant afford the medication.

However, that said I really like what I'm hearing out of the club this year ... so I will buy my membership and I've already inquired about sponsorship of a player ... just waiting for the club to get back to me on availability.

I know this is the optimism thread but steady on, we have only just climbed out of the bottom four.

Plus I think its fair to say our whole recruiting team which we have invested very heavily in. We are no longer a one man band these days.

Last edited:
Ive very happy with the choices I made, and can I suggest so are the 238 kids in the orphanage.

Football is only a game but AIDS is a death sentence if you cant afford the medication.

You are so off the point because you are too invested in your own self-aggrandisement. Can you make a point without reference to your positivity or your philanthropic achievements? It's too weird to talk footy with Mother Theresa.

I did some sums on a bit of paper.

2013 - 2 wins
2014 - matched plus 2 = 4 wins
2015 - matched plus 3 = 7 wins

Future is clear. 2016 is 7 plus 4 so 11 wins...

After that it gets interesting, and by 2019 you can bookmark it that the Dee's will win more games than they actually play
Seems legit because maths. :thumbsu:

Rather than creating a whole seperate thread which would have me strung up, allow me a single pocket of negativity and then y'all can go back to the optimism stuff.

1. 2nd year blues is a thing. These players might experience it: Neal-Bullen, Stretch, Harmes and Hogan (technically), Vandenberg, Brayshaw, O-Mac, White... That's a fair chunk of our list still learning the ropes.

2. We lost Cross and Howe. That's not to be sniffed at. Both had important contributions in the games we won this year with intercept marking an important attribute they both had. A lot of experience and talent gone in one off season. Thought Howe was under appreciated last year by Dees supporters. Also no Jamar if Gawn goes down touch wood.

3. Awkward transition year between Roos and Goodwin - who's really in charge? might not be an issue but it's not ideal. Add to that the essendon saga which could affect Goodys tenure at the dees in the short term at least.

4. We didn't land a 'treloar' immediate impact player over the trading period. A lot of predicting how we will go next season is predicting how others will go, particularly the teams below and around us on the ladder. Saints got Carlisle, Collingwood got Treloar, Geelong got Danger.. We got melksham...
Not to say he can't be an effective contributor but the players I mentioned will immediately improve the teams they went to. ours are more to add depth.

5. Our captain and arguably most important player is coming off friggen neck surgery. That's a pretty big deal with no guarantee he'll come back to his best. I guess the other side of the argument is that he played under duress all last year and the surgery Will have freed him up so maybe it's a reason for optimism...

Anyway as you were, ultimately I agree with you all. There's less reasons to be negative now then in previous years which is positive.

You are so off the point because you are too invested in your own self-aggrandisement. Can you make a point without reference to your positivity or your philanthropic achievements? It's too weird to talk footy with Mother Theresa.

The point is quite simple - people have choices.

Option A - Positive, youthful caring community. or

Option B - A community dominated by a "veil of negativity" ( quoted from P Roos ) & a deep rooted "toxic culture" ( quoted from P Jackson )

Its so obvious the club is now reinventing its self to try engage more with Option A. Its head coach even goes on TV and outs people in Option B community as part of the problem. Hell it doesnt even give Option B a vote anymore at their own AGM - paid up member or not.

I think we need to differentiate here between negativity within the club and what is described as negativity with supporters.

To me "negative supporter" is bordering on an oxymoron when it comes to Melbourne.

I think we need to differentiate here between negativity within the club and what is described as negativity with supporters.

To me "negative supporter" is bordering on an oxymoron when it comes to Melbourne.

100% agree and I think you have hit the nail on the head and exposed our biggest problem. Also have this "hunch" Mr Roos & Mr Jackson agree with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree and I think you have hit the nail on the head and exposed our biggest problem.
Apart from being ardently loyal, I don't see Dees supporters as any different to other club supporters. We've just been through more down times and our (varying) behaviour naturally shows that. We are simply a bi-product.

There is no set type of Dees supporter and we've all dealt with the shortcomings of the club in our own way. To me, the negative supporters stopped supporting, its that simple I reckon. The rest of us back the club to the hilt, look forward to every new season with hope and take the knocks. Sure we might groan a bit but we take them.

FWIW I liked what Roos said as it wasn't just an off the cuff observation he made in the media, it was a smart, calculated move to get people in the club on the same page and a nicely executed wake up call. At the end of the day though, he was just doing his job.

Apart from being ardently loyal, I don't see Dees supporters as any different to other club supporters. We've just been through more down times and our (varying) behaviour naturally shows that. We are simply a bi-product.

There is no set type of Dees supporter and we've all dealt with the shortcomings of the club in our own way. To me, the negative supporters stopped supporting, its that simple I reckon. The rest of us back the club to the hilt, look forward to every new season with hope and take the knocks. Sure we might groan a bit but we take them.

FWIW I liked what Roos said as it wasn't just an off the cuff observation he made in the media, it was a smart, calculated move to get people in the club on the same page and a nicely executed wake up call. At the end of the day though, he was just doing his job.

Very well said. Except IMHO one small point ....

To me, the "negative" mentally bolted on "supporters" according to Roos only wanted to vent on the club. Again according to Roos when we lost the club had to deal with a barrage of negative emails and telephone calls YET when we won silence!!!

Think its also fair to say the AFL who bailed the MFC out understands where the problems sit. MFC have an AFL "hand pick/suggested" CEO, AFL approved President via our CEO, AFL approved board, AFL financed Coach - AFL Bolstered Footy Department. Plus they refused to give us charity via priority draft picks.

To me, the "negative" mentally bolted on "supporters" according to Roos only wanted to vent on the club. Again according to Roos when we lost the club had to deal with a barrage of negative emails and telephone calls YET when we won silence!!!
Fair enough, I don't really take to those sorts of supporters either (and some alternative Dees supporter websites can get rediculously over the top) but footy is a passionate game.

To date, nobody has unloaded a tonne of chook poo out the front of the place though so there's some perspective compared to other clubs. Whilst some supporters can cross the line with their vitriol I'm not concerned on any level that it is a significant portion of supporters. Every team supporters base has its breakdown.

Fair enough, I don't really take to those sorts of supporters either (and some alternative Dees supporter websites can get rediculously over the top) but footy is a passionate game.

Whilst some supporters can cross the line with their vitriol I'm not concerned on any level that it is a significant portion of supporters.

Again you have nailed it. Roos gave it to them with both barrels this year. Think he had finally had enough.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...not-club-coach-paul-roos-20150825-gj7jt6.html

Last edited:
Defiantly agree there is great reason for optimism in regards to the footy side of the operation, I still worry that the club is passing up a goldern opportunity with the city of Casey by holding onto vague delusions of training bases in docklands and offices in Collins st. Hawthorn are setting the bench mark with their dingley investment I love to see our admin have some of their vision and foresight, that would be reason for optimism

Defiantly agree there is great reason for optimism in regards to the footy side of the operation, I still worry that the club is passing up a goldern opportunity with the city of Casey by holding onto vague delusions of training bases in docklands and offices in Collins st. Hawthorn are setting the bench mark with their dingley investment I love to see our admin have some of their vision and foresight, that would be reason for optimism
We're the Melbourne Football Club, I'd rather us not be based in the middle of nowhere like Dingley. With the club's new marketing campaign they've clearly got a vision that's based upon us being in the city.

We're the Melbourne Football Club, I'd rather us not be based in the middle of nowhere like Dingley. With the club's new marketing campaign they've clearly got a vision that's based upon us being in the city.
In some ways what you wrote is what I'm talking about, this idea that the club has to be based within sight of the mcg and the cbd just shows a complete lack of vision and I've never understood it. Hawthorn have people with vision and foresight and l still think it's something sadly lacking in our clubs admin, it's why they are a great club and we are so blah

In some ways what you wrote is what I'm talking about, this idea that the club has to be based within sight of the mcg and the cbd just shows a complete lack of vision and I've never understood it. Hawthorn have people with vision and foresight and l still think it's something sadly lacking in our clubs admin, it's why they are a great club and we are so blah
Well no. Hawthorn is a great club because they win games, not because they're ****ing off to Dingley. They have an extremely strong presence through the South Eastern suburbs right into the inner suburbs/CBD which they've cultivated over the past two years. They're in a position where they can afford to be based somewhere else and not compromise their identity, which we can't do.

Hawthorn have people with vision and foresight and l still think it's something sadly lacking in our clubs admin, it's why they are a great club and we are so blah

Hawthorn are off to Dingley for one reason and one reason only - to avoid the AFL FD tax. Facilities are not taxed.

Well no. Hawthorn is a great club because they win games, not because they're ******* off to Dingley. They have an extremely strong presence through the South Eastern suburbs right into the inner suburbs/CBD which they've cultivated over the past two years. They're in a position where they can afford to be based somewhere else and not compromise their identity, which we can't do.
Your being a bit simplistic but the point I was Making stands hawthorn have vision our admin seems to be happy to look backwards, for some unknown reason the club feels it can't function if it's not within site of the Mcg or the cbd. We train on a public park on the side of punt rd hawthorn are looking to a 60 million dollar investment to set themselves up for the next 50 years.

That drawing a very long bow, it's a lot of time and money spent to avoid a small amount of tax

AFL football is a business - a winner takes all business. You can pay the tax and watch the AFL give it to your competition. :mad:

You legally do what it takes to get an edge, You do what it takes to avoid giving your oppostion 1 inch of ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Reasons For Optimism In 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back