Clarke
M Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon

Beer, Forrest, Hilfenhaus and Paine in reserve

I really like that squad, but I think Hilfenhaus will be a certain starter, and Cummins won't be entrenched in the First XI. Ryan Harris will also be there if fit.

Genuine cnut. Genuine fire and brimstone approach to bowling.

That'd be my guess, anyway.

genuine hard arse, balls and a nice mean streak.... very rarely are these poor qualities in a professoinal sportsmen.

That was my assumption aswell I just hadn't ever heard it expressed that way. :p

I always kind of thought that's what Mitch Johnson was always lacking.

Good on him, Hughes tons up in his first match of the English summer. 111 off 124 balls in a one dayer.

Anyone know why he's never been considered for one dayers? Obviously at the moment he doesn't deserve an ODI spot but even at first.

Good on him, Hughes tons up in his first match of the English summer. 111 off 124 balls in a one dayer.

Anyone know why he's never been considered for one dayers? Obviously at the moment he doesn't deserve an ODI spot but even at first.

Because wicket keepers have to open in ODI's:rolleyes:

E. Cowan
D. Warner
R. Ponting
S. Watson
M. Clarke
M. Hussey
M. Wade
R. Harris
J. Pattinson
P. Siddle
B. Hilfenhaus
N. Lyon

Unless any of these players have shockers next summer, this should be the team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

E. Cowan
D. Warner
R. Ponting
S. Watson
M. Clarke
M. Hussey
M. Wade
R. Harris
J. Pattinson
P. Siddle
B. Hilfenhaus
N. Lyon

We can field 12 men now?

Could solve our batting woes.

E. Cowan
D. Warner
R. Ponting
S. Watson
M. Clarke
M. Hussey
M. Wade
R. Harris
J. Pattinson
P. Siddle
B. Hilfenhaus
N. Lyon

So...basically the incumbents are assured of spots unless they screw up royally? :p

I'm coming around to the line of thinking which suggests that Dave Hussey would be handy to have as a back up batsman on the tour.

Warner
Khawaja
Watson
Forrest
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Pattinson
Hilfenhaus
Lyon

Players making the tour:

Paine
Beer
Cummings
Hughes

Very easy choice for an England fan for the most part. Two many good players capable of winnings games.

I know with Flower in charge this won't happy, but I'd line up like this:
Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

Have Morgan (love the rose tinted glasses), James Taylor and Chris Tremlett in as reserves.

Bowling line-up is difficult to pick with there being a number of top quality bowlers. I've always been a big fan of Finn. Might go for a few but is a genuine wicket taker, and is what England need to stop tails biting back at them. They've had teams on their knees and have allowed the tail to pop in a few too many runs for my liking. Finn would eradicate this issue. I also think with 5 bowlers they become a much more solid unit. When ones going through a rough spell at the moment, there's nobody else they can bring on as rotation is needed to keep all the bowlers fresh. This would counteract that, for obvious reasons.

Bresnan to get the nod ahead of Tremlett, simply because he's effectively playing like an AR in test cricket at the moment. Better batting and bowling average than Flintoff (yes there's more to Flintoff than his averages) tells it's own story. More than capable number 7 batsman, with Prior definitely being worthy of the "batsman" tag. Winning every test he's played in also speaks for itself. Bresnan is a class act. Average may be inflated a little bit by a few not outs, but he's still a useful lower order batsman. Along with Broad and Swann, who are also a far cry from tail enders, there's still batting all the way down to number 9, though somebody needs to tell Swann to get the job done, because he's been playing more and more like a tail end batsman lately, despite the fact he has much more ability than that.

In total though, I think that the English side has more than enough to beat whatever the Australians send over in the next ashes series, baring any injuries. I think it would be a very interesting series, but the English have finally beome masters of their own conditions, and I really can't see the Australian line up standing up to the English pace attack in swinging conditions in the same way England will be able to handle the Australian bowlers. I think 5 bowlers would make is sure for them though. A few too many tired spells coming in at the moment. If you can cut those out, and keep Anderson on short spells I think Australia will struggle greatly.

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

Nah; they'd be crazy to weaken the batting like that when they don't need to; three seamers and Swann is plenty good enough to bowl us out consistently.

The only spot they need somebody to nail down in the number 6 spot. There are the tried and tested candidates of Bopara, Morgan and Patel; but I think James Taylor is the way to go for an extra bat.

Personally would pick this team...

Cook
Strauss (c)
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Taylor
Prior (+)
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
12th - Tremlett

I shall amend that and say they've far too many match winners in suitable conditions, under which any ashes series is going to be played for the current crop of English players.

Pooing themselves at the bit of spin bowling isn't going to be too big an issue on English/Australian wickets and the proposition of Michael Beer bowling. Though, regardless, I maintain they should have won against pakistan if it wasn't for Morgan and Bell being completely inept during that series.

With steyn and philander still looming and probably only clarke and watson certain to be a part of our top 7 come the ashes i just find it impossible to pick the batting part of our lineup.

Looking at england's bowling in england i am sure we have little chance of winning back the ashes with our current batting lineup, sad part is even if we make changes i don't see any options who are likely to do better than the incumbents.

If harris and hilf are fit(big if) we will take enough wickets to be in the mix but i can see our batting collapsing in a session often enough to cost us the ashes.

Hmmm tough to gage this far out but here is my crack at a squad. I think you will find we normally take a larger touring party for an ashes series (not 100% sure but i think its either 16 or 18?) as cover as it is a major travel issue to send additional players.

This is what i would like to see take on England in 2013!

Michael Clarke (C)
Shane Watson (VC)
Ed Cowan
David Warner
Michael Hussey
Ricky Ponting
Matthew Wade
Ryan Harris
Patrick Cummins
James Pattinson
Nathan Lyon
Usman Khawaja
Tim Paine
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhaus
Dan Christian
Steven O'Keefe
Peter Forrest

A couple of bolters, namely Paine & O'Keefe.
Paine to hopefully if all goes well with his fingers, peel off scores and force his way into this group, i think he is the best batsman/keeper we have when fit, but Wade gets first crack if performance continues.
O'Keefe missed a lot of last season with injury, but is a good left arm orthodox that can get very good runs batting at 8 or 9 for us like what Swann does for England. Also England's batsmen tend to have a tough time with left arm spinners because of the angles. Even if he isn't getting massive wickets, i think he can tie an end just as well as what beer could if playing.
The rest is straight forward pending form and fitness.

I do have question marks on if some players will still be going at International Level when the time rolls around.

Ponting (Age)
Hussey (Age)
Harris (Fitness)
Siddle (Fitness)

Guys who i think will be close to selection to take a spot if these guys aren't up to it.
Mitchell Marsh
Nathan Coulter-Nile
George Bailey
Michael Beer
Mitchell Starc
Liam Davis
Alistair McDermott
Rob Quiney
Aaron Finch
Callum Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.