Your unpopular golf opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you all still cheat when you go and play at other clubs or just at your own?
There is the argument that - outside of board events and say monthly medals - if gimmes are given, even if not everybody in the field does them, then the handicaps will take care of the players and the comps. Say an 18 marker drops a few shots over time with gimmes.

Then when that 15 marker gets to playing the big boy events, the cheating tnuc has no chance if playing proper golf!

Pet hate of mine is one of my regular playing partners, if he's not sure which ball is his, will ALWAYS pick up other balls to check, without much care to placing them back down in the exact same position.

I mean he's a good bloke, but don't touch my ball pal.

Scottie Scheffler is a gun but all the bible bashing about god and whatnot totally turns me off him. Having faith and belief in yourself is one thing but you didnt make that clutch putt because of god...I hope I dont offend anyone by saying that.

Social golf should be more about speed and efficiency rather than perfect etiquette or the stringent following of every golf rule.

Also, here's one I think would piss a lot of people off and divide, especially with the tradionalists.

Amateur golfers in a social round when you're like +15, the course is backed up with multiple groups, your 4 ball taking out the flag stick for one putter, then putting it back in for the next guy, then the next player does their whole putting routine and wants the stick out, etc.

Just putt the ****ing ball and if it's within a foot or two then pick it up as a gimme.
Agree, social golf should be about speed, chatting, having a good time. Not lining up a 2 footer for an 8.

i feel this is more relaxed in club competitions.

but if we are to be definitive...

1. your balls in in the first cut on a slope. a twig is holding a ball up. Moving it results in the ball rolling onto the green or fairway even. Where do you play it from?

2. your ball's on the fairway, rolled onto a rigid leaf preventing said ball from rolling into the creek. where do you play it from?

Similarly, ball's in a divot, shall one receive a free drop? But what is a divot? What if the divot's been filled, but wind has blown some sand away leaving 50% of the divot naked.

So many questions.
I think there's a difference between moving debris from around your ball (sticks, pine cones, rocks etc.) and the ball oscillating a little, compared to gaining an advantage with your ball moving to a new spot.

I remember the days of long walk socks with shorts. As kids we'd tee off in summer and as soon as we were out of eyesight of the clubhouse, the socks would go down. Then they'd come back up near the end of the round. Now that was a dumb rule.
Then you'd come up the 18th and the pro is waiting for you. You knew someone had dobbed you in.

Scottie Scheffler is a gun but all the bible bashing about god and whatnot totally turns me off him. Having faith and belief in yourself is one thing but you didnt make that clutch putt because of god...I hope I dont offend anyone by saying that.
What does that mean for the rest of us?

Either you believe that God made you miss the putt(which still means you might be a good golfer) or you don't believe God cares about your golf and you missed it because you suck at golf. But isn't God meant to love me? Shouldn't he care about my golf?

Then you'd come up the 18th and the pro is waiting for you. You knew someone had dobbed you in.
Luckily we had a protector - Jack Harris(only won 90 times professionally) - think he smoothed things over with the narky old bags who would rat us out. The 14th hole had a shed with a can machine that had beers for $1 a throw. Pretty sure he knew who was raiding it for underage refreshment. Victimless crime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might be missing the point by bringing up popular opinions?

Here’s one from the other side - chippers could be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Chippers are in the fish n chip shop ONLY

We might be missing the point by bringing up popular opinions?

Here’s one from the other side - chippers could be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They're OK if it's your great great uncles or some weird thing that you got from an opshop. And you use from 50m and stiff it and everyone laughs but really you're laughing because you just got a par. They're not ok if it's a new Greg Norman 'Shark' brand or some other sh1t brand sold at Kmart.

Luckily we had a protector - Jack Harris(only won 90 times professionally) - think he smoothed things over with the narky old bags who would rat us out. The 14th hole had a shed with a can machine that had beers for $1 a throw. Pretty sure he knew who was raiding it for underage refreshment. Victimless crime.
There used to be a shed behind the 7th, near Campbells Rd, that may have been raided a few times on a Sat night by some of the local teenage hooligans……30 odd years ago

My golf club doesn't allow thongs in the bar/clubhouse which in general is fine and i respect especially at nice golf clubs but this is very much a working class golf club and it's the one rule that annoys me in summer.

There are a couple of companies that sell golf thongs with cleats.
Yet most clubs won't allow you to play with thongs on.

I've done it a few times playing green fees in summer, when no one is working in the pro shop. Very liberating, and quite easy to swing with tbh. Good training to keep balance also.

There are a couple of companies that sell golf thongs with cleats.
Yet most clubs won't allow you to play with thongs on.

I've done it a few times playing green fees in summer, when no one is working in the pro shop. Very liberating, and quite easy to swing with tbh. Good training to keep balance also.
have not played with anyone wearing thongs or have seen anyone wearing thongs. sandles for womens in the club house sure. but on course no.

if that was to occur my concern is with the persons feet given snakeys at the club

have not played with anyone wearing thongs or have seen anyone wearing thongs. sandles for womens in the club house sure. but on course no.

if that was to occur my concern is with the persons feet given snakeys at the club

I think if it was allowed, then a lot of people would during summer. Especially the young blokes.
Snakes and prickles are at the risk of the golfer.

I watch where I step, and dont have an issue. If I'm going to get bit or scratched, it's going to happen anyway.

I think if it was allowed, then a lot of people would during summer. Especially the young blokes.
Snakes and prickles are at the risk of the golfer.

I watch where I step, and dont have an issue. If I'm going to get bit or scratched, it's going to happen anyway.

I dont see a correlation between dress code on foot with keeping younger people away. in fact my local public track doesnt have a dress code. However, ive seen plenty of young people wearing shoes whilst playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your unpopular golf opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back