Your unpopular golf opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you’re a group of 4 and you’re heading for a four hour round or less, do you change from your approach above? I’ve said this assuming that group in front is clearing out from your group.

I was playing one day and we were finished teeing off on 10 and it was right on 2 hours. One of the blokes behind us gave us a lecture about being slow. I told him to **** off and that we were two hours to here. We were also held up the last four holes due to a ripple effect from group/s further in front of the group in front of us.
It depends. If I've noticed they've been up behind us for a few holes in a row, waiting for our shots, and after saying what I do they are still on us, I'd let them play through. I'd prefer that no matter the speed of the round.
Can depend on the comp. If it's par, poor players can end up.playing really fast because they pick up a lot.
Last round I played we let the group of 3 behind us play through.
I'm a bit of a pacifist, I try and find a result without arguing.
That said, if we're up behind the group in front and the group behind has a crack at our speed turn I'll chirp something back.
I'm probably more concerned with position in the field rather than overall time.

It depends. If I've noticed they've been up behind us for a few holes in a row, waiting for our shots, and after saying what I do they are still on us, I'd let them play through. I'd prefer that no matter the speed of the round.
Can depend on the comp. If it's par, poor players can end up.playing really fast because they pick up a lot.
Last round I played we let the group of 3 behind us play through.
I'm a bit of a pacifist, I try and find a result without arguing.
That said, if we're up behind the group in front and the group behind has a crack at our speed turn I'll chirp something back.
I'm probably more concerned with position in the field rather than overall time.
If we’ve dropped off the group in front but going at a good pace, we’ll let a group behind us go through after 9 holes. This is very rare and on the proviso that the field is thin. It can be hard to let a group through in between nines with 150 plus golfers in a comp all following each other. This is a regular occurrence at City Golf Club.
Also, I don’t believe in running around a golf course just to keep up with the group in front. That isn’t conducive for good golf just as being slow isn’t either.
My main bug bear is an older lady who is still walking, has plenty of money to buy or hire a cart, but chooses not to and causes her group to take 4.75hours because she wants to walk. If you can’t walk quick enough to finish a round in 4.25hours max, hire or buy a cart.

If we’ve dropped off the group in front but going at a good pace, we’ll let a group behind us go through after 9 holes. This is very rare and on the proviso that the field is thin. It can be hard to let a group through in between nines with 150 plus golfers in a comp all following each other. This is a regular occurrence at City Golf Club.
Also, I don’t believe in running around a golf course just to keep up with the group in front. That isn’t conducive for good golf just as being slow isn’t either.
My main bug bear is an older lady who is still walking, has plenty of money to buy or hire a cart, but chooses not to and causes her group to take 4.75hours because she wants to walk. If you can’t walk quick enough to finish a round in 4.25hours max, hire or buy a cart.
For the group behind you, it's a bit like driving on the road. You don't just look at the car infront of you but what's going on further ahead.
Par 4, group behind gets to the tee, sees us waiting in the fairway to play our 2nd shots into the green where the group infront of us is putting. Group behind should understand that the pace of play is not being dictated by us but by a group further along. Enter the course Marshall.
As to the oldies, we've got some blokes like that but they chop out after 9 so everyone grumbles but puts up with it. If someone is playing 18 (on a busy day) at that pace they need to politely be told to do as you suggest (use a cart) or play on a less busy day. Last group on Tuesday morning sounds about right.
Im Always aware of the groups infront or behind. If those infront disappear but we've got no pressure from behind, I don't care about us. If someone is up our backside from the 3rd hole, even if we're making good time, I'll let them through as soon as I can. Last game was the par 3 8th. They were a group of 3 and infront was the final the foursomes, so only 2 balls in play. They played through, we finished in 4hours 5 mins. After the 8th we had no one in front or behind for the rest of the round. Perfect.

For the group behind you, it's a bit like driving on the road. You don't just look at the car infront of you but what's going on further ahead.
Par 4, group behind gets to the tee, sees us waiting in the fairway to play our 2nd shots into the green where the group infront of us is putting. Group behind should understand that the pace of play is not being dictated by us but by a group further along. Enter the course Marshall.
As to the oldies, we've got some blokes like that but they chop out after 9 so everyone grumbles but puts up with it. If someone is playing 18 (on a busy day) at that pace they need to politely be told to do as you suggest (use a cart) or play on a less busy day. Last group on Tuesday morning sounds about right.
Im Always aware of the groups infront or behind. If those infront disappear but we've got no pressure from behind, I don't care about us. If someone is up our backside from the 3rd hole, even if we're making good time, I'll let them through as soon as I can. Last game was the par 3 8th. They were a group of 3 and infront was the final the foursomes, so only 2 balls in play. They played through, we finished in 4hours 5 mins. After the 8th we had no one in front or behind for the rest of the round. Perfect.
If someone is up our proverbial I let them through or suggest they do as well. However, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday & Sundays is all about comp golf so it’s too congested in front and behind to let a group through (as you said). It wouldn’t make sense either.

If someone is up our proverbial I let them through or suggest they do as well. However, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday & Sundays is all about comp golf so it’s too congested in front and behind to let a group through (as you said). It wouldn’t make sense either.
It's all about awareness and courtesy. Even when you're by yourself. All here know I play a lot in the evenings and right now the sun sets about 6pm. If it's 540 and I'm on the 15th, I need to move to get the 9 holes in but occasionally I'll run into someone playing like it's their own course. Hitting multiple balls, re-putting putts. Which is fine if you're by yourself on the course but if someone is gaining on you and waiting for you, let them through or play one ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your unpopular golf opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back