Zac Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic to see.
Should be the starting ruck man in most games. The more I think about it the more i'm convinced Josh Fraser would make a better player of himself as a tall target deep in our 50.

02_ZacSmith.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 2
DOB 22/02/1990
HEIGHT 205cm
WEIGHT 97kg
BEGINNINGS U15 QLD Soccer

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/zac-smith/

Rockhampton-raised Zac Smith is an exciting 205cm ruck prospect.

He’s an extremely agile tall with a rare turn of speed who is equally at home overhead and or at ground level.

He’s also sure-footed and calm in a crisis, a point proven by his post-siren kick into the wind to seal an incredible come from behind VFL win against Bendigo Bombers in Cairns last season.

His outstanding year was recognised by his inclusion alongside the likes of Nick Riewoldt, Sam Gilbert, Jarrod Harbrow and Dayne Beams in AFL Queensland’s Team of the Year. Smith was the only VFL player selected.

Extraordinarily, 2010 was only Smith’s fourth season of AFL football. Previously he’d focused his prodigious talents towards – of all things - indoor soccer.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108701/default.aspx

Suns' big plan for big man

GOLD Coast ruckman Zac Smith is set to return from an injured heel and play his first game of the pre-season in the final round of NAB Cup/Challenge games next weekend.

The 21-year-old suffered bone bruising in the Suns' final practice match before the first round of the NAB Cup and has been unable to play so far.

However, coach Guy McKenna says the former soccer player is expected to get a game in before the Suns start their home-and-away season in round two and hopefully combine with experienced ruckman Josh Fraser for the majority of the year.

"You'd like to think [he'd play every week], but it's the great unknown," McKenna said on Wednesday.

"Zac's 206cm and he's probably 100kg so he hasn't filled out yet, he hasn't matured -he's still a boy really in the ruck sense.

"If he gets through six or seven games in a row and his body starts to get grumbly then we'll pull him out so he can get himself right, have a week off and then throw him back in."

McKenna said Smith was capable of physically competing with the league's biggest ruckmen but expected to manage his load if he faced experienced big men in consecutive weeks.

He said he wouldn't keep the athletic giant away from the action and would play him alongside the experienced former Magpie rather than as the first ruckman in the seconds.

"Against other sides who have ruckmen who are tall and lean like him then he can play for sure," he said.

"We're not going to develop Zac as quick in the NEAFL so we'll be playing two rucks. Josh can push forward after the ruck and then Zac can come on and ruck so we can develop him through the season."

Smith said working with Fraser and ruck coach Jeff White had been invaluable to his development considering he only started playing football four years ago.

"They've been amazing. I've known Whitey now for a couple of years because he's been here since I started, which was pretty much day dot," he told afl.com.au.

"He's been incredible with my development and then 'Frase' came along and I've just grown so much, my game sense and following him around the training paddock."

Smith started playing soccer when he was four years old, initially as a striker and later as a full back, and, just over 10 years later, he represented Queensland in the indoor variation of the game in Brazil.

He was then convinced to try Australian Rules in 2007 by his mates, who were impressed by his height and athletic ability.

He played under 17s in Rockhampton before moving to Brisbane with his family in 2008, where he continued to develop with the Zillmere Eagles.

There he attracted the attention of Gold Coast's scouts and was invited to join the club ahead of its first TAC Cup season in 2009.

"Four years ago, I never thought I'd be here right now," Smith said.

A highlight for Smith, apart from making the VFL Team of the Year in 2010, has been his recent appointment to the leadership group for the Suns' first year in the AFL.

"I've been in the leadership group for the past couple of seasons but it's just stepped up a whole lot now," he said.

"I was very honoured to get selected by the boys. We had a pre-season camp at Mooloolaba and that's where the players chose the captain and leadership group.

"When I found out I was a little bit surprised, but I was stoked."

Heppel and big Zac are leading I would think?

Im tipping big Zac to win it, first year of AFL to play a massive key position and probably be in the top half of the ruckmen this year. Pretty massive effort.

Interesting comparison over the next 10 years will be Natanui/Smith/Kreuzer. They are all about the same age I think?

Smith and Natanui both turned 21 this year, Kreuzer 22, so close enough.

All have so much potential.

I think Kreuzer is going to be an absolute warrior for Carlton. He does the little things so well, and is a physical force around contests. Kid competes as well as anyone going around, and I think that means he's always going to be a slightly better player than his raw talent says he should be. Could be next Carlton captain.

Natanui is clearly an extraordinary athlete, so can do things that other guys just can't do. Still a fair way to go in terms of consistently being in the right place and impacting games, but he could be anything.

And Smith, I think, is arguably the best of the lot. He's probably somewhere in the middle of the other two. Brilliant size and mobility, and great coordination for one so big. Will be a monster when he fills out.

Toss in Goldstein and you're looking at the best big men for the foreseeable future.

With such quality big men, the worst thing for footy will be if they have injury problems and destroy their careers, ala Primus who was arguably one of the best ruckmen in the past 15 years also one of the big reasons I believe the AFL changed the rules and made the centre bounce circle to combat Primus' dominance late 90s early 00s.

Anyway gun ruckmen already at such an early age!

Smith buoyed by reserves run.

ATHLETIC Gold Coast ruckman Zac Smith admits two weeks in the reserves did him the world of good.

After being arguably the most eye-catching of the Suns' first-year players in 2011, the 205cm Rockhampton product has struggled in the first half of his second season.

Despite averaging the same number of disposals - and slightly more hit-outs - each contest this year, Smith was recently dropped to the reserves.

His work-rate around the ground was down, and his effectiveness at stoppages nowhere near the level of his debut season.

But after two weeks in the reserves, Smith bounced back with a bang against North Melbourne in round 11 before the Suns' bye.

He had 17 disposals, six marks and 22 hit-outs in a display more reminiscent of that which saw him finish third behind Dyson Heppell and Luke Shuey in last year's NAB AFL Rising Star Award.

The 22-year-old said being dropped was hard to take, but was a lesson he had learned from.

"I think it was the best thing for me at the time. I did enjoy it as well," Smith said.

"The big thing was I went down with the right attitude and played a couple of reasonable games of footy.

"I think my first half of the season hasn't been up to the standard of what I set last year. I really want to improve and have a really good second half of the season.

"What I've learned is the game is continually growing and can go faster than you pretty quick, so you’ve just got to keep improving every week, every session."

Smith faces the biggest test in the League on Saturday, matched up against West Coast dynamic duo Dean Cox and Nic Naitanui.

The Suns put in one of their best performances of 2011 when they lost by just 18 points to the Eagles at Patersons Stadium.

Smith said he and rucking partner Tom Hickey were excited about taking on their West Coast rivals.

"It's going to be a fun day. I've been over there once and played those two before and I think we did all right," he said.

"Not sure who'll be playing, but if it's Hickey, him and I had a pretty good game on the [previous] weekend (against North Melbourne) and we'll take it to them and learn from them. We'll definitely compete.

"If you go into every game and you're hard at it, you come away with a chance, regardless of the ability of the team."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast's Smith wants aggression in 2013.
276679-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

ZAC SMITH will emerge as a more aggressive ruckman in 2013 as the instruction of ruck coach Matthew Primus takes hold.

Primus, who never shied from a contest in his 157-game career, has refined the technique of Smith since joining the club in September.

Suns' showdown for ruck hopefuls.
While most positions have been decided on for the club's round 1 clash in a fortnight, ruck is still up for grabs.

Charlie Dixon and Zac Smith currently lead the charge and Gold Coast football manager Marcus Ashcroft said both players had pressed their claims this pre-season. But Ashcroft warned the race for the main ruck spot was not simply a two-horse war.

"I wouldn't rule out Dan Gorringe either," Ashcroft said. "He played some good minutes in the ruck last week and showed he has got some footy smarts.

Dixon shines as Suns down Dees.
The Suns led by just two points at half-time, but five goals to one in the third quarter put the game beyond reach.

The Suns won 12.8 (80) to 8.7 (55).

After a scrappy first half on a lush Southport surface, the injection of Zac Smith into the ruck and move of Charlie Dixon forward sparked the Suns.

Zac Smith's season over.
GOLD Coast has suffered a huge blow, with ruckman Zac Smith to miss the rest of the season after rupturing his ACL.

Smith injured his right knee during the opening half of Gold Coast's 32-point win over the Western Bulldogs at Metricon Stadium on Saturday night.

Sun Smith won't be ready for round one.
GIANT Gold Coast ruckman Zac Smith is recovering well from his knee reconstruction, but will not be ready in time for next season's start.

Smith, 23, ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in round eight against the Western Bulldogs last season, and underwent a traditional reconstruction.

Five months after sustaining the injury, he is now back running and will join the Suns for a two-week altitude camp in Arizona in November.

But Smith said he was in no rush to be available for round one next year, and would be taking a cautious approach.

"I've chatted to docs and physios but haven't put a timeline on it," Smith said.

Gold Coast Suns big man Zac Smith fights his way back after major knee surgery.
ONE small step for Zac Smith, one giant leap for the Suns.

The Gold Coast's big man has revealed his burning desire to become the best ruckman in the AFL as he fights his way back from major knee surgery.

The 205cm giant continues to make big gains this summer after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in round eight last season.

Smith has set himself lofty goals and believes the rise of teammates Tom Nicholls and Dan Gorringe in his absence can help him get there.

Zac finding the perfect balance.
Focused on returning to the playing field sooner rather than later, Zac Smith has turned to gymnastics in a push to assist in rehabilitating his knee.

“It’s been great, I have been attending gymnastics and it has really helped me to build some confidence back in the body,” Smith said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back