Zach Merrett vs. Jack Billings

Zach Merrett or Jack Billings

• Merrett

• Billings

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Turns out that Billings has been carrying that ankle injury he sustained early against Essendon for the 5 or so weeks since and for some strange reason was allowed to keep on playing with it after he missed that initial game the following week, but thankfully we've seen sense and it seems he won't be returning to the field until it's healed sufficiently, otherwise it could lead to other issues and that's the last thing we need with someone as talented as him.

Merrett is better overall so I'd go with atm, though Billings is undoubtedly the better kick.
While probably true, Zach was an exceptional kick coming into this year where he'd spent more time on the HFF and I think him playing as an inside mid has dropped the perception about his skills. If he were running free like Billings has been, his disposal might look a lot better.

One thing I will say about Zach is his kicking action is lightning, his ability to get a kick out of a pack is fantastic. Being sub 6 foot no doubt helps in that regard.

1 goal, 1 goal assist, 36 disposals (14 contested), 7 clearances, 544 metres gained and 5 tackles.

One is probably in the AA squad of 40 at this point in the season whilst the other was dropped and spent his VFL game getting cheapies out the back before unfortunately succumbing to an ankle injury. This like the Bontempelli vs Yeo poll, consistent brilliance vs flashes here and there.

1 goal, 1 goal assist, 36 disposals (14 contested), 7 clearances, 544 metres gained and 5 tackles.

One is probably in the AA squad of 40 at this point in the season whilst the other was dropped and spent his VFL game getting cheapies out the back before unfortunately succumbing to an ankle injury. This like the Bontempelli vs Yeo poll, consistent brilliance vs flashes here and there.
Billings injured his ankle early in our last game against you guys and he it's probably fair to say shouldn't have played until it healed properly (he missed the following week, but then for whatever reason was brought back the next week and struggled, was then dropped the next week and played one game in the VFL before not playing the next 3 weeks, to finally allow the ankle to heal properly. He then came in for his first game back on the weekend and had 45 disposals and 2 goals (playing midfield, wing and forward) in the VFL.

You guys keep on telling yourselves that he'll be no good though if it helps you get over how the likes of Laverde have struggled to get a game in a team that have won 1 game.

Billings injured his ankle early in our last game against you guys and he it's probably fair to say shouldn't have played until it healed properly (he missed the following week, but then for whatever reason was brought back the next week and struggled, was then dropped the next week and played one game in the VFL before not playing the next 3 weeks, to finally allow the ankle to heal properly. He then came in for his first game back on the weekend and had 45 disposals and 2 goals (playing midfield, wing and forward) in the VFL.

You guys keep on telling yourselves that he'll be no good though if it helps you get over how the likes of Laverde have struggled to get a game in a team that have won 1 game.
We never said Billings would be no good, just that he's currently an inconsistent high half forward with an excellent left boot. That doesn't bode well when he's matched up in a poll against a player who would be in the AA squad of 40.

Jayden Laverde? The same guy who fractured an AC joint, spent 7 weeks recovering and needed 3 games in the VFL to get back his fitness? Not sure why you would even bother bringing him into a Merrett vs Billings poll, very poor attempt at trolling. Honestly can't even believe you bothered to post that rubbish.

Give Billings an out coz of injuries yet slag off Laverde who's been injured.

Cute.

Thought it was 36 disposals? Either way, very impressive

No reasonable footy fan thinks Jack Billings won't be any good but relative to Merrett at the current moment, a gap is forming and starting to widen.

The Laverde comment is way off the mark and way off topic though.

Give Billings an out coz of injuries yet slag off Laverde who's been injured.

Cute.
I wasn't aware that Laverde had had an injury, but I didn't need to be, as it's pretty clear by how chirpy so many have been about Billings since his form dropped after he got injured and how him going back to the VFL resulted in him being mocked and suddenly not worthy of speaking in the same breath as someone like Merrett, that if someone is playing in the ressies it doesn't matter if it's as a result of an injury or not, amirite? Or is it only if they play for St Kilda and they're playing VFL?

Thought it was 36 disposals? Either way, very impressive
36 is what was first reported, but then it was on the AFL app today that it was actually 45 and then Grimlock came onto our board as he does after each of our VFL games and brought what I take it are the official Champion Data stats and confirmed that it was 45 and two goals and 174 ranking points: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfl-coburg-v-sandringham.1137765/page-5#post-45489433

No reasonable footy fan thinks Jack Billings won't be any good but relative to Merrett at the current moment, a gap is forming and starting to widen.
Well of course it is, as one has had an injury for the last 6 weeks and IMO is at least another preseason away from really showing what he's got on a consistent basis anyway, as he lacks a midfield endurance, while the other is fit and firing and clearly has the tank to be able to play midfield full time already.

Merrett's looking bloody good though, so Jack will have his work cut out reeling him in from here. Not that that will necessarily be anything to be ashamed of, if Zerrett keeps up this rate of progression. You've got a really good one there.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Laverde had had an injury, but I didn't need to be,
Well actually if you're going to make comment about how he can't get a game then yeah you do need to know why. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Zerrett has star potential like Billings. Zerrett would be a good Robin to Billings as Batman. Would be a lethal duo.

Billings will be fine in the long run, there's enormous potential there.

Merrett is well ahead at the moment, his form this year has been ridiculously good. But writing Billings off would be silly.

Billings will be a very good player.

Zach is ahead of him by a fair bit at this stage and there is nothing wrong with that. Zach is top 3 of his draft and was last year also before he got injured.

Just because he'll be better than Billings throughout their careers doesn't mean Billings will be poor.

The Essendon fans do realise no other team pays any attention to Zerrett because they are pumping them by a good 10 goals most weeks (except us). He's allowed to rack up as many meaningless stats as he wants, the opposition aren't bothered by it.

With all that said, he is still a good player but I'm not sure he is ever an A-grader on a good team.

Billings is way more dangerous and once he builds up his tank and body he will be cutting teams up weekly.

The Essendon fans do realise no other team pays any attention to Zerrett because they are pumping them by a good 10 goals most weeks (except us). He's allowed to rack up as many meaningless stats as he wants, the opposition aren't bothered by it.

With all that said, he is still a good player but I'm not sure he is ever an A-grader on a good team.

Billings is way more dangerous and once he builds up his tank and body he will be cutting teams up weekly.
Wait, you're comparing what Merrett is doing with what Billings might do?

There is no way that is a fair comparison. Merrett is performing extremely well and has had a far better year than Billings. Right now he's well in front.

He reminds me of Higgins. Not sure he'll make the transition from classy half forward to gun midfielder.
One of the better comparisons. I hope for a bit more out of Billings, but I don't under estimate what Higgins can do, nor do I underestimate the frustrations Higgins can bring out in supporters

Wait, you're comparing what Merrett is doing with what Billings might do?

There is no way that is a fair comparison. Merrett is performing extremely well and has had a far better year than Billings. Right now he's well in front.

I'm confident Billings will be the better player. #backourboys

Remove this Banner Ad

Zach Merrett vs. Jack Billings

Back