Speculation Zach Merrett

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't think going after a guy that will be 29 next year would be the right play for St Kilda, like others might disagree but he will cost a lot & is under contract so Essendon will have the right to ask for 2 first rounders.

I couldn’t agree more.

Merrett is contracted. Bombers can ask for whatever they like for him. He is their player.

Not only that. Merrett is Essendon’s Captain and a star. They just can’t let him go.

Saints know they need to hit the draft this year and next year. And our drafting in recent times has been pretty good. More to do, we aren’t contending yet, but our younger lads are coming along well.

Improvement isn’t always linear but in the second half of the year many of us observed that we started to turn the corner. Time will tell though.

Merrett will cost a fortune in trade capital. I can’t see this going anywhere, and that’s what makes it a surprising story. It doesn’t seem to be in Saints long term interest and it certainly doesn’t help Essendon if their skipper wants to leave.

The Bombers should kill the story pronto. I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

This was clearly leaked by Merrett's camp to apply pressure to the club for change to occur. It's quite clear there is a culture problem at Melbourne and Merrett has had enough.

Essendon captain Merrett backgrounding about a move to St Kilda in order to improve Melbourne’s culture. Bold strategy.

This was clearly leaked by Merrett's camp to apply pressure to the club for change to occur. It's quite clear there is a culture problem at Melbourne and Merrett has had enough.
Merrett's a main part if the problem if he's begging the coach to extend Stringer and Laverde.

It's clearly affecting Melbourne's culture.

If Brad Scott has riled up Merrett it's better for him to leave. Looks like Scott knows what the rot is and that Essendon edge was start of the changes needed. That list needs an extensive turn over since the past regime. A new captain is not a bad thing either. Need players that are on board with what the coach wants to achieve. A game style that's all about applying pressure.

If it was then it’s a terrible move by Merrett. He’s captain of the football club.

How is publicly leaking a possible move to a rival team supposed to improve a teams culture? It might shock the club into making a couple of token off field moves but it’s not going to improve a thing and would be terrible leadership.

That said Essendon should trade out Merrett to saints for 7 & 43 and use 7 & 8 for 2 & 40 from North and get Smillie.

you're missing a number

As funny as this would be for non Essendon fans in the first trade period after Dodo has left the club, I can't see this happening. The Bombers would rightfully ask for a boatload for their contracted captain. It would be interesting to see the Saints chase Stringer and Zez, but that seems like a sugar high rather than making them genuine contenders.

About the only circumstance that would make any sense is if the Bombers have decided that it's time to go full rebuild before Tassie joins the league and build their next team around Perkins, Tsatas, Hobbs, etc. But that seems pretty risky and unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what you're saying here. 7 is very close to his value.

lol

if you think that, you are very, very far behind.

2 low firsts would be the absolute minimum starting point. Would even pick up the phone for anything less.

haahaha

i couldn't just leave the laugh emoji.

if saints offered 1st and F2 for merrett, we wouldn't even listen to the entire voicemail before deleting it.
You know on the sum of it, Neale went for #6 and effectively a mid second round (after you calculate picks back and forth), and he was 4 years younger.

Both had 2 B&F at that age. Merrett one AA vs Neale three AA40.

Pick 7 (or 8) plus a future 2nd is about the mark.

Won’t happen though.

I just don't think going after a guy that will be 29 next year would be the right play for St Kilda, like others might disagree but he will cost a lot & is under contract so Essendon will have the right to ask for 2 first rounders.

Crazy SOS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Zach Merrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back