Speculation Zach Merrett

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Battle compo will be end of first round.

So Pick 7 and Pick 21 as it currently stands is about right in a trade for Merrett given age.

But if im Essendon, you gotta ask the question on Nasiah Wanganeen Milera.

if he wasn't contracted maybe.

the fact he is makes that 21 way too high.

Incorrect. Multiple clubs into him, and the big dogs as well.

Collingwood, Sydney, Geelong.

Heard on the weekend Adelaide too.
Perhaps you know something I don't but the most recent report from Jay Clark was that interest from other clubs was modest at best and as a result he was more likely to stay.

That said Essendon should trade out Merrett to saints for 7 & 43 and use 7 & 8 for 2 & 40 from North and get Smillie.
7 & 43 for a contracted Merrett that can play on for another 6 years?
Please. 7 & 8 (Battle compensation) at a minimum.

Otherwise, there's no reason for us to trade our captain and best player by far.

A captain asking to be traded?

Can't see it happening.
The only one I can ever recall was Leigh Colbert, and I think he was only captain of Geelong for 1 year.

That said Essendon should trade out Merrett to saints for 7 & 43 and use 7 & 8 for 2 & 40 from North and get Smillie.
By all reports, that would be Trainor for us in that scenario.

Last edited:
I love how Scott having a meeting with Merrett and getting his opinion on list changes (perfectly normal) has turned into Merrett losing his mind at the club over list changes.

This one makes no sense. If it was Collingwood / Geelong / Sydney / Brisbane etc then absolutely I could see it - Merrett must crave success.

But St Kilda??

It would be purely about money, I don’t get that vibe about him at all. He’s had bigger money offers in the past and stayed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how Scott having a meeting with Merrett and getting his opinion on list changes (perfectly normal) has turned into Merrett losing his mind at the club over list changes.

This one makes no sense. If it was Collingwood / Geelong / Sydney / Brisbane etc then absolutely I could see it - Merrett must crave success.

But St Kilda??

It would be purely about money, I don’t get that vibe about him at all. He’s had bigger money offers in the past and stayed.
other than being Daniher's best mate I don't think there's a real possibity of any link to the Lions especially with the Levi coming in this season Dunks Ashcroft McCluggage and Fletcher with Fages likely to move Neale forward could be our future midfield

Last edited:
Fair call.

If the saints hand over two picks inside 15 i think the Dons highly consider it.

7 and NWM for Merrett Laverde and Steak knives could potentially get it done
if nwm involved they would be selling the farm for us,saints would tear the place down if this went anywhere near going down

According to Tom Morris Merrett wants to play finals I'm not sure why he looking at the Saints though
it might show the assumed prospects of the 2 clubs in merrets time left in the game,on top of that its a case of who has the cash(for merrett)and draft capitol(for bombers)not so many options

it might show the assumed prospects of the 2 clubs in merrets time left in the game,on top of that its a case of who has the cash(for merrett)and draft capitol(for bombers)not so many options
Rumors are doesn't get along well with Scott according to Morris today on SEN of course it could just be one of those smokescreens that gets thrown at this time of year

Fair call.

If the saints hand over two picks inside 15 i think the Dons highly consider it.

7 and NWM for Merrett Laverde and Steak knives could potentially get it done
That would be a dreadful move for St Kilda. NWM is 21, already a gun and still has massive room for growth. Zerrett turns 29 in a couple of weeks and—while a star—has hit his peak, and is unlikely to be doing too much when (if) St Kilda eventually competes for a flag.

With where their list is at, if I was St Kilda, I wouldn't do NWM for Zerrett straight up (let alone adding a top-10 pick). It just wouldn't make sense, unless they want to remain stuck in mid-table mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Zach Merrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back