Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Gumbledon Dilemma

Essendon should shut Matthew Lloyd and Gumbleton in a large football ground with nothing but a weights gym, 500 sherrins, an infinite supply of protein bars/shakes, a kitchen a hospital and 200 live chickens so he has to catch his meals. They aren't allowed out until Gumbleton can kick 65% of his goals from all angles.
Make me Essendon club president ASAP shit will get real.

Hahahaha. Awesome

Guys i think we're looking at this the wrong way! I think this is a positive, being it will give Gumby a chance to develop and mature into his body fully before stepping on to the field again. It should also drive his hunger...Crameri has been a wonder for us as a solid/hard body with exquisite kicking...so now Gumby knows if he wants to play he needs to;

a) improve kicking @ goal
b) go in for the hard balls and gets
c) go for the grabs
d) go for the tackles

So it's not suc a bad thing, imho!

Of these I think he does option (c) best. Agree that his body is still too slight. Really needs a Neagle diet and a bench press. Perhaps there remains a psychological issue re: exerting himself physically, as a result of his 100 seasons of injury as well.

How tall was Salmon? Maybe he needs to coach Gumby's kicking. He's taller than he realises.

Of these I think he does option (c) best. Agree that his body is still too slight. Really needs a Neagle diet and a bench press. Perhaps there remains a psychological issue re: exerting himself physically, as a result of his 100 seasons of injury as well.

How tall was Salmon? Maybe he needs to coach Gumby's kicking. He's taller than he realises.

Not sure mate. But i think the key point im trying to make is i suppose that Gumby is a work in progress, even 4 yrs into the system. He has grown rapidly, body and muscles need time to adjust to each other and because of it he gets injured. We can support him as a club and reassure him so he can focus on the recovery or we can say all things about trading him and other clubs jumping on him after all of our hard work in nurturing those injuries. To think with the glimpses he has shown he could be just a game away from breaking out and setting the AFL on fire....but until he gets his body right he wont.

Just another thought: He can play back too you know. So if we dont have space for him in the forward line yet, then why not play him back in Paddys old position? Especially since we have Tayte out for a bit, it will give him games and confidence, a look at the other perspective in real game time and also ability to develop his game on both ends. He starred in the under 18's in the back and up forward!

Any thoughts??

Not sure mate. But i think the key point im trying to make is i suppose that Gumby is a work in progress, even 4 yrs into the system. He has grown rapidly, body and muscles need time to adjust to each other and because of it he gets injured. We can support him as a club and reassure him so he can focus on the recovery or we can say all things about trading him and other clubs jumping on him after all of our hard work in nurturing those injuries. To think with the glimpses he has shown he could be just a game away from breaking out and setting the AFL on fire....but until he gets his body right he wont.

Just another thought: He can play back too you know. So if we dont have space for him in the forward line yet, then why not play him back in Paddys old position? Especially since we have Tayte out for a bit, it will give him games and confidence, a look at the other perspective in real game time and also ability to develop his game on both ends. He starred in the under 18's in the back and up forward!

Any thoughts??

My main thought is that we should take great care with him. I agree that he could be anything but at this stage it will take more than him getting his body right. He will need to find form to get into the side as it stands as well.

I've never seen him play back so I'll reserve judgment. Fletch must surely be retiring in the next ten years or so, so perhaps Gumby's body will be okay in time to fill that void.

boys ive come across to this forum to get some views
both are high draft choices who have to date been poor/injured

i just wanna know this..
do you guys still have faith in gumbleton being a star/good player

personally from what ive seen of him i think he has talent for sure.. just cant string games together
does he lack confidence in himself? whats been holding him back or is it just injury.. personally i think watts is being held back between the ears.. he certainly has talent theres no doubt about it

Only injury is holding him back. Did a hammy this weekend.

Personally, im a little bit over it and have given up hope.

Hopefully one day I eat my words.

As for Jack.
Was a gun at Sandy. I'm not sure why that hasn't continued on.

hamstring
knee soreness, knee arthroscope
back spasm, fractured ribs & punctured lung; finger & thumb surgery + knee arthroscope
back spasm
back surgery
back
knee, collarbone & surgery
hamstring
hamstring
hamstring
knee

Poor gumby never had a chance. Believe he has been heavily restricted in what weights he can do due to his back so has never really been able to bulk up.

Does he have talent? We all saw glimpses of what he could be.. a 198cm forward with a good set of hands and a massive tank.

Only recently it seems that most are resigning to the fact that he might not ever make it.

Havn't entirly given up on the big fella but its not looking that great.

The back issues continually give him hammy problems. Not sure what the future holds for him. If Carlisle and Steinburg are pushing seniors by the end of the year and Gumby is still struggling with injury he could be on the way out.

Unlike Watts, Gumbleton has already proven his ability to consistently create opportunities, take good marks, and kick multiple goals in multiple games - all at an AFL level. He's shown enough last year to suggest that he can become a key player for us in the future.

The only thing stopping him is injuries. Watts would crumble (assuming he hasn't already) if he had Gumby's niggles in recent years - you can't buy determination like that.

This time, it's only a minor hamstring strain (2 weeks), and he's already had some good form coming into it. He has every opportunity to pick up where he left off and earn his spot in the team, which I'm confident he will.

Unlike Watts, Gumbleton has actually proven his ability to consistently create opportunities, take good marks, and kick multiple goals in multiple games - all at an AFL level. He's shown enough last year to suggest that he can become a key player for us in the future.

The only thing stopping him is injuries. Watts would crumble (assuming he hasn't already) if he had Gumby's niggles in recent years - you can't buy determination like that.

This time, it's only a minor hamstring strain (2 weeks), and he's already had some good form coming into it. He has every opportunity to pick up where he left off and earn his spot in the team, which I'm confident he will.

It was only a minor strain that kept him out for 3 weeks in the NAB Cup as well. for mine he is starting to get into the Laycock injury zone. Big, Big concern as he has played less than 40 games total in 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was only a minor strain that kept him out for 3 weeks in the NAB Cup as well. for mine he is starting to get into the Laycock injury zone. Big, Big concern as he has played less than 40 games total in 5 years.

Not starting ant, he IS there.

I've put a lone through his name. If you cant get your body right after 5 years, is it really going to suddenly change in year 6 or 7, 8 etc?

Similar prospects it seems from what Iv seen.

Both look like they prefer to play the lead up role rater than the contested work in the forward 50. They lack that real competitive steak and also that natural technique that all great contest players possess.

Both player have alot of support from their respective clubs based mainly on hype rather than actual football ability.

Both players are fantastic athletes but not really natural footballers.

Half of me has given up, half hasn't..

This would probly be his last year to prove anything you'd reckon..

Gumbleton is an amazing prospect if fit. 198cm if he can bulk up and stay on the park you will have an awesome combination of talls. The thing is Carslile is also looking very good, as well as Ryder/Hille who could play there full time with Bellchambers rucking well. The question is if he comes good do you realyl need him?

What would Essendon fans reasonably expect in a trade at the end of the year if he doesn't have an impact again? The fact he was a number 2 pick means there is still some value, because I think clubs would be willing to risk on his upside.

At Richmond we have a similar situation with Ben Griffiths although not as extreme. A huge tank, 200cm, huge boot, but came to the club with shoulder problems. Apparently all good now and they are just easing him back. However if he doesn't come through then we need a CHF and I could see my club offering up something decent and take a risk on Gumbleton. His upside is enormous.

If I were an Essendon fan I think I would prefer to see him run his career out for the bombers even if it wasn't sucessful than risk sending him somewhere else where he might flourish and you lose a superstar.

Dean Wallis?

Was never injured to the extent that Gumby has been and played a lot of seconds footy over the journey. Also played in era where the list was bigger and there was less pressure to turn over players.

Not starting ant, he IS there.

I've put a lone through his name. If you cant get your body right after 5 years, is it really going to suddenly change in year 6 or 7, 8 etc?

When's the last time Dempsey missed a game through injury? He's one who turned it around (albeit not after 5 years) through getting a bit of size about him.

So as Scott's 5th season draws to a close, some questions have to be asked.

Having only played 22 Games out of a possible 111*, and with one year left on his contract, what would you personally do with Scott?

Would you trade him at the end of this year? Would be a good fit for Fremantle.

If he has a great pre-season and is injury free at the start of 2012, where would you play him in the 22? With the emergence of Carlisle, would he better suited at CHF or CHB? Balance is the key.

If he was to have another injury riddled season in 2012 and is unable to get on the park for a game, at 24, would you delist him?

Personally I'd love for Gumby to come good and play a high HF/Wing role. Heres hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back