Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

This is exactly what I was going to say. I can't believe all this talk about him being so brittle and frail and how we have to protect him.

Seriously, If his body is not up to it he shouldn't be playing. Simple as that.

No, it's not as simple as that. When you have a prospect as valuable as Gumbleton, where injury has been a major issue throughout their career, surely it's not so hard to believe that people wish to avoid having him play in the ruck, where the chances of injury are maximized, until Gumbleton's individual chances of injury are minimized later in his career.

It's more a comparison between TBC and Carlisle. If TBC is in better form, then Gumby can stay forward.

Gumby's more than capable in both positions, so we don't lose out playing him in either spot. Therefore, we should pick the best forward or the best ruck and let Gumby fill the other spot.

That's the thing though, Hird and Wellman have both indicated that unless the ruckman, whoever that may be, can get around the ground quickly and easily and be effective they are unlikely to see any action. I like T-Bell but I don't know that he'll get much more mobile than he already is.

I did flip in favour of leaving Gumby forward, but now having read some of the other ideas, I'm flopping. I like the idea of having a player like Gumby who can play ruck or forward and taking advantage of that. Keeps the opposition guessing.

Re: 3. Scott Gumbleton

Has played 22 games. First pre season that he has been able to do weights because of his back. Only started training after christmas after an op.

Might be a bit early to write him off.

Bump!

Interesting what some of us thought of Gumby a few years back..seems like it was a long time ago.

Seriously, its time for the Halls Head Jrn/ Peel Thunder colt to fire this season..we have waited long enough.... or am I expecting too much?

Personally I feel it is a very important season for Gumbleton. Over the years we've been able to hide behind his injury and use it as an excuse on the premise that he'll come good. We've been extremely patient with him and I don't think you can really question points in the opening few posts. He runs, he marks, he doesn't give up.

It is a defining year for him. He needs to establish himself as one of the better forwards of the competition, not just a potential. He doesn't need to dominate or change games directly from his boot. He needs to be more serviceable and more effective. If he doesn't we will begin to receive criticism from other supporters not that it matters. Some of us will go on to probably criticise him as well.

It's time for that potential some be realised. He's completed his early years, got some games under the belt last year so there is no better time than now for Gumby.

I wouldn't be expecting him to set the world on fire this year. Need to remember he's only played 20odd games. If he gets another 18-20 games in this year and builds on last years performances then I reckon he'll be progressing well.

I don't think we'll start to see what he's really capable of until the 50-60 game mark other than some flashes here and there.

Dunno if he's as locked in for CHF as a lot think, but I think he'll play a lot again.
You've been hinting at this for a while now S20... Do you think he has a role to play down back or would we use his aerobic capacity on the wing and as a second ruckman?

Imo, Carlisle is quickly catching up to Gumby and he really needs a big season to hold down the CHF position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've been hinting at this for a while now S20... Do you think he has a role to play down back or would we use his aerobic capacity on the wing and as a second ruckman?

Imo, Carlisle is quickly catching up to Gumby and he really needs a big season to hold down the CHF position.
Not wing.

He played back & ruck as a junior too. He played a game back in 07, where he showed a bit.

Put it this way: if we go down the path of the pinch-hitter #2 ruck, I'd rather swing him out from CHF to ruck, than re-jig the backline unnecessarily.

Not wing.

He played back & ruck as a junior too. He played a game back in 07, where he showed a bit.

Put it this way: if we go down the path of the pinch-hitter #2 ruck, I'd rather swing him out from CHF to ruck, than re-jig the backline unnecessarily.

I like Gumby as a ruckman. I don't care about how brittle he is. Fact is if you play AFL you are going to cop it. IF you can't handle it go and play for the Shepparton Swans.

I don't know how it could work. Maybe.

Hille takes the bounce. Gumby at CHF, Ryder at FF.

Ryder pushes up to CHF, Hille goes to the square, Gumby goes on the ball.

Ryder and Gumbleton swap around the ground duties with CHF. Hille takes centre bounces then back to the square.

Still seems like a **** around. Would be good for Hille's career longevity though. Does anyone think Hille could snag three to five goals a game as a deep forward or would he get eaten up by the Brian Lake's of the world.

Should I quote myself and make it bold and in huge font to point out I pretty clearly never said he would, or can you get there by yourselves?

Was referring to CoM's post.

Starting to think Gumby might be better suited at Full Foward rather than CHF. Certainly dont think hes a good option in the ruck at this point in time.
I think Hurley is a lock for CHF, why not throw gumby up at FF and see if he can kick some goals, or at last make a contest and bring the ball to ground for the likes of davey & co.

I want to see him play that Scotty Lucus type role- leading up the flanks/wing and taking marks, then either giving off a handpass to a running MF'er or kicking long to the goal square.

He sort of did this last year, but our delivery was mainly crap and kicks were not giving him much chance most of the time.

I just wish someone would step up and be that aggressive F-50 target. It has just killed us in the last two seasons watching opposition defenders sweep the ball away after failed marking attempts by the likes of Neagle- not that it's all his fault- we need a consistent tall forward who can give us 50-60 goals a season..

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Back