Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Which Scotty Lucas were you watching?

haha..yer ur right there.

The odd handpass to a Winders, Howlett, Jetta, Stanton would be nice or just swing around and play on and boot it quickly like Scotty used too..

Was referring to CoM's post.

I think you are stating the obvious there. Of course Hille and Ryder will take the ruck, but I guess we are just throwing around other options for our list.

Like it or lump it Gumby can play ruck - as good as Hille or Ryder, no of course not. Maybe one day.

Hell at the start of 2009 we thought Ryder was a CHB.

If Gumby can't make it as a forward what do we do? He still has an elite tank, is quick, long arms etc etc. We have good backs so he will struggle there.

Hille is getting on. Rather have him play 80 per cent as a forward for the next 4 years as opposed to being absolutely shot come the end of 2012.

He should be a good forward in a couple of years butt at this time he might struggle to get a spot in the forward line this year with talls such as Hurley and ryder a fair way in front of him and with Crameri, Davey, Monfries, Jetta, Zaharakis also all likely to get chosen before him in the forward line.

What does every body think?

Re: The Gumbledon Dilemma

Hope Im wrong but dont think so yet. With the emrgence of T.Bell, Paddy spending more time forward, Hurleys good form and plenty of others like Crameri, Davey, Monfries etc that can kick goals Gumby not essentail just yet. thats not to say that he wont become a key ingrediant, but at this point in time I think he should spend some more time at Bendigo and kick a couplwe of bags there before being considered

If you are going to be a forward in the comp at the moment, you have to be either A-grade or multi-purpose - i.e. you have to be able to ruck. Hurley (A-grade), T-Bell, Paddy, Hille (rucks) and Crameri (not a ruck but can play stints as an inside mid) are ahead of him on this count.

I could see him developing some rucking ability (I believe he used to ruck a bit before he was drafted) but he's not there yet. He could play a bit of outside mid, but we have a glut of those types.

Thankfully for us, we have no room for passengers in the forward line at the moment.

As soon as he is fit enough, as far as I'm concerned, Gumbleton is straight into the side.

If we hadn't dismantled the Dogs so completely there would have been questions asked about the functioning of our half forward line. Were we essentially a target short all day and were lucky that our opponents weren’t in any position to take advantage of it. We stretched Gus to the limit and repeatedly kicked it to him as though he was Gumby like in stature. On many occasions we didn't take a clean possession when a true CHF probably would have.

Gumbleton wouldn't play deep too often because the structure/balance of the forward line inside 50 against Sydney (and to a lesser extent against the Bulldogs) was perfect. The CHF/half forward problem doesn't stand out on the SCG because the ground is two kicks in length.

He has everything needed to be one of the most damaging lead up targets in the game. Just think about some of the moments last year like when he cleaned up Walker (who could match his movement – being one of the most gifted athletes in the league – but not height) or when he took a few very big pack marks after seemingly leaping through bodies as though they weren’t there.

The other noticeable thing against the Dogs was that they teamed Hurley all day. Say it is later in the season and we play them again one of Morris, Lake, Markovic, Hargrave or Williams will be required to play on Gumby otherwise he will have 20+ possessions and drive the ball into 50 about the same amount. Remember that one of them also has to play on Ryder/Hille.

We shouldn't fear being too tall because our talls are not limited runners. In particular, the Ryder/Hurley/Gumbleton key trio have a unique athleticism and at least Ryder and Hurley have proven themselves as capable defensive players.

The other part of this is putting together something that can defeat Collingwood. Their backline is not the juggernaut people think it is. Their key position defenders are rarely tested and players like O’Brien and Maxwell are frequently left alone to do as they please – which invariably means helping out Reid/Brown/Tarrant. They can be stretched and with Brown out Tarrant is the only player I would back to beat any of Ryder/Hurley/Gumbleton when 1 on 1. A functioning half forward line and someone like Gumbleton patrolling the wings is also crucial as it gives us the option of a quick release off half back as a way of combatting the intense forward pressure.

The fact that we actually need Gumbleton as opposed to needing to get games into him is probably also a good psychological tool to get the best out of him.

If you are going to be a forward in the comp at the moment, you have to be either A-grade or multi-purpose - i.e. you have to be able to ruck. Hurley (A-grade), T-Bell, Paddy, Hille (rucks) and Crameri (not a ruck but can play stints as an inside mid) are ahead of him on this count.

I could see him developing some rucking ability (I believe he used to ruck a bit before he was drafted) but he's not there yet. He could play a bit of outside mid, but we have a glut of those types.

Thankfully for us, we have no room for passengers in the forward line at the moment.

Way to skinny and not enough core strength to play as ruck. He will get mauled at the stoppages and endless center square work will damage his knees.

Gumbleton will be a dual position player in the forward. He will be able to play KPF and player to lead up and present to players bringing the ball out of defense. He is capable of playing the latter role now but will need another one or two full preseason before he is a big strong KPF. The fact that he will develop, injuries permitting, to be able to play both roles at once makes him harder to match up on.

Hurley will take the big strong marking defender most weeks and then the oppostion will have a nightmare finding a player for Gumby and another for the resting ruck.

Our best forward line would be Hurley playing as power forward inside 50. Gumby playing that lead up target and secondary target inside 50. Monfries as small leading target. Davey as Mr Pressure. That leaves two more spots for midfielders and rucks to rotate through.

The question that remains is what does this mean for Williams?

Don't think it's a dilemma, he's tall and skinny and not taking apart games in the 2s altho he is capable at AFL level; could possibly go forward or back (or pinch-hit ruck) - so he plays 2s until required.
Williams similar, needs to do a little bit more to put himself right up into contention, but he is capable so again nice depth if needed.

People are far too quick to write him off, he was the leading contested mark taker in the side last year when he hadn't played footy for 2 years. The way the game is now played it becomes more and more important to have players who are able to take pack marks.

However like every player on the list he should be needed to earn his spot and be fit enough when he comes into the side. He did miss a lot of the preseason so there is no issue with him spending a few weeks at Bendigo to get fit and confident.

He will come into the side, and I still think he will be a good player for us in the future, but I trust the coaches and conditioning staff to get him right before they unleash him.

not in our best 22 atm IMHO. Overated by many (on current ability) but quite obviously has the potential to become a good footballer. He would be a liability in our current side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon should shut Matthew Lloyd and Gumbleton in a large football ground with nothing but a weights gym, 500 sherrins, an infinite supply of protein bars/shakes, a kitchen a hospital and 200 live chickens so he has to catch his meals. They aren't allowed out until Gumbleton can kick 65% of his goals from all angles.
Make me Essendon club president ASAP shit will get real.

Essendon should shut Matthew Lloyd and Gumbleton in a large football ground with nothing but a weights gym, 500 sherrins, an infinite supply of protein bars/shakes, a kitchen a hospital and 200 live chickens so he has to catch his meals. They aren't allowed out until Gumbleton can kick 65% of his goals from all angles.
Make me Essendon club president ASAP shit will get real.

you sure 200 chickens is enough food for him?? hed probably eat 3-4 a day...

as others have said as soon as he's fit, maybe couple weeks in the vfl to find touch, he should come in

no point in leaving him out as, like many others, gumby must show his worth to the side sooner rather than later

If he's fit enough and good enough, he should be in the side.
If he's fit but we just want him to get some game time, he shouldn't be in the side.

I dont see any dilemma. Basically when he has earned his spot in the side - kickin arse in the 2s then we get him in. Simple as that.

I hope that it aint too far away, as many have suggested Hurley is better with Gumby.
Essendon would be better with a gun Gumby in the side.

But lets cross that bridge - when & if he gets there.
I still doubt he will make it, but I damn well hope I am very very wrong.

the guy had a limited pre-season with little match practice and misses the first 2 and possibly 3 matches getting fitness at vfl level. He's most certainly in Essendon's best 18.

Just like Brian Lake and Lindsay Gilbee at the Bulldogs, all players lacking match fitness should come back through VFL. Andrew Welsh starts this week.

For Essendon to be successful Gumbleton is a very important part of the team structure across half-forward. Why this talk of ruck? Seems ludicrous when there's Hille, Ryder and Bellchambers. Obviously Bellchambers drops out when Hille returns and I'm not certain Crameri can maintain his intensity (which has been extreme) to cover-up his deficincies in his game (pace, athleticism, height etc). Gumbleton will prove a much better alternative to Crameri as the season progresses.

As for Mark Williams he should be playing for Gold Coast - he'd fit in well there. Playing for money and not putting his body on the line. He's a joke.

efcboy your definitely right about Williams, he is not much better than our young forwards (probably not as good as them) and he will not be around for to much longer. James Hird should not give Williams a game! For god sake Neagle should get a game before Williams!

He should be a good forward in a couple of years butt at this time he might struggle to get a spot in the forward line this year with talls such as Hurley and ryder a fair way in front of him and with Crameri, Davey, Monfries, Jetta, Zaharakis also all likely to get chosen before him in the forward line.

What does every body think?

Guys i think we're looking at this the wrong way! I think this is a positive, being it will give Gumby a chance to develop and mature into his body fully before stepping on to the field again. It should also drive his hunger...Crameri has been a wonder for us as a solid/hard body with exquisite kicking...so now Gumby knows if he wants to play he needs to;

a) improve kicking @ goal
b) go in for the hard balls and gets
c) go for the grabs
d) go for the tackles

So it's not suc a bad thing, imho!

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Back